PDA

View Full Version : Storage Cage on Open Trailer

Blessed 1
12-23-2002, 04:24 PM
Just sold my Ranger and having to pull my 6x12 open trailer with my Expedition. I am now having to build a storage box on the front of my trailer for my BP Blower,hedge trimmers. shred n vac ect. My tailer has 30" mesh side walls. My question is which is preffered building the cage to hang fwd of the front or on legs from the front towards the back (giving up 2 feet of inside space above the rails) still enough space to put mowers under.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
12-23-2002, 06:15 PM
I would be cautious of putting forward of the rails, cause if your tongue is short you will clip the corners of your expedition or pick up / dump....

Just put it up high enough to clear your equipment that wiill need to go under it... Check out buyers.. they have a ready made box for this type of application...

walker-talker
12-23-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by SCAPEASAURUSREX
I would be cautious of putting forward of the rails, cause if your tongue is short you will clip the corners of your expedition or pick up / dump....

Just put it up high enough to clear your equipment that wiill need to go under it... Check out buyers.. they have a ready made box for this type of application...

What is buyers?

MATT

gogetter
12-23-2002, 09:31 PM
www.buyersproducts.com

Wesley's Lawn
12-23-2002, 10:49 PM
Im building a storage box for all my handhelds and stuff at school in my metals 3 class. I have enough room to put it over the tongue. If you dont you could put it on the indside, I was going to do this this and have it up in the air so i still could fit my mowers under it but decided I didnt want it up so high that i couldnt see into it.

walker-talker
12-23-2002, 11:38 PM
I found that tool box on buyers, but they did not have a price. Does anyone know how much it cost?

MATT

Barker's Lawn Care
12-23-2002, 11:50 PM
blessed 1, be careful just to let u kno, u will lose your rear visibility and watch you tongue weight because with all that equip. i'd recomend about a 700 lb. tongue wieght hitch. TAKE NOTE, what will the weight be without the equip. behind the axle,(this will greatly increase the tongue weight and make it unbalenced)if u kno what i mean!?????

just my 2 pennies, i've had one before and they are very useful

HarryD
12-24-2002, 12:15 AM
I say any guy that has a LCO should own a small wire welder and a metal chop saw . you can build all your own stuff plus do your own repairs . and they are vary easy to use

Wesley's Lawn
12-24-2002, 01:33 AM
I agree with what HarryD said everyone in this biz should know and have a good welder, I have and old arc welder, a small hobart wire feed welder, and an oxy. act. tanks so i can make ay repairs or make projects from pretty much nothing.

Ryan Lightning
12-24-2002, 02:26 AM
If you have a comunity college you can take a class, and have access to lots of nice welders and equipment. Then you will know the teacher and students, and have access to welders if you do need to do repairs in the future.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
12-24-2002, 09:35 AM
Buyers... Call up their # on the web site, and they can tell you who a local dealer is .. I had called a few and got a variety of procing from $300 to $390. So get a few dealers in your area and check around... They look like really nice boxes. I did nto get one, cause it was too narrow for my trailer, I have to have one made so its' wide enough..... Other wise I would have gotten it...

cclllc
12-24-2002, 03:29 PM
I have one that i might sell.it has legs so you can drive your mowers under it.It has a lid with gas shocks to keep it up.It is very well made.angle iron and expanded metal.If you are interested i'll email some pics.

gogetter
12-24-2002, 04:02 PM
Another possible way to go is mount along the SIDE of the trailer on the OUTSIDE of the rail. I've seen a couple like this.
I've seen them both down low like rail height, and raised up high on legs.
Then you put a brace from the trailer up to the underside of the front of the box.
But I wouldn't make the box too deep from front to back so it doesn't stick out much past the wheel fenders.

Blessed 1
12-24-2002, 11:54 PM
Thanks for all the input. My best friend is a welder and is also the one who made the trailer so when ever I come up with a brain storm I always let him make the modification. After reveiwing 30-40 web sites looking for examples I have decided to go with a 24"x 24" x 6' wire mesh cage mounted on 6" legs above the rails on the front (inside) of the trailer. A lot of web sites offer landscape trailers with these already intalled. In the local paper today they have a 2000 Haulmark 7x16 double axle enclosed for sale for $2800. That sure is tempting. Maybe tax time:D :D :D

nelbuts
12-25-2002, 08:02 PM
Ok here is a suggestion. Use 2"x2" angle and weld two on front corner. One on each side two feet back. Then make two shelves, completely enclosing the front with mesh. Make sure the bottom shelf is high enough to pulll or back your tallest mower under. You give up no floor space but have plenty of storage. Then go to your tongue, weld some mesh to the bottom of the tongue then you have space for at least two fuel tanks strapped in. If you want put fuel on deck, place medium storage lockable storage box on tongue. Lock tools etc. in box and you can have the mesh area to throw things like a couple of wheel chocks, spare tire, or a chain.

my $.02