PDA

View Full Version : Books of the month.

Mike Leary
05-20-2012, 08:00 PM
Since my only "job" is keeping the Airstream going and being the west coast curmudgen for Lawnsite, I read a lot. Two I've just finished are of stellar quality. First was "Fire Season", by Philip Conners, about life as a fire lookout in New Mexico. The second, and most freaky, was "The Ledge", by Jim Davidson & Kevin Vaughan, about a couple of climbing buddies who fell through a crevasse on Mt. Ranier in WA State. Great reads, both bring up "life is what?" questions, far away from most of our gigs.

DanaMac
05-20-2012, 08:06 PM
My reading has been slowed due to work starting back up, but I'm on the 4th book in the Game of Thrones series, which is actually "A Song of Ice and Fire". G.o.T is the first book, but the series is more often called that due to the tv series on HBO. On my nightstand I have "How a Second Grader Beat Wall Street", "Hunger Games", "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest" and "Good to Great".

Mike Leary
05-20-2012, 08:11 PM
I'd hoped you'd see this thread, Dana, I thought of you during reading both books. :)

DanaMac
05-20-2012, 08:14 PM
I truly do enjoy reading. It is relaxing, entertaining, mind opening, and informative. It kills me that more people don't enjoy it.

Wet_Boots
05-20-2012, 08:18 PM
I got fed up with great books and got some comicbook collections from the library a week or so back.

Zap! Pow! Ka-Blooie!!

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-20-2012, 11:19 PM
I'm working on a book on my bucket list. Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. I remember my Dad reading this in the early 60s and it sat on his reading table for months before he finished it.

Mike Leary
05-21-2012, 12:51 PM
I'm working on a book on my bucket list. Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. I remember my Dad reading this in the early 60s and it sat on his reading table for months before he finished it.

I remember the book, not exactly a "warm and fuzzy feel good" tome. :dizzy:

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-21-2012, 02:34 PM
No but its the only part of WWII history I haven't read about. Learning a lot of stuff about the inside politics that led to the rise of Hitler and WWII.

Wet_Boots
05-21-2012, 03:28 PM
No but its the only part of WWII history I haven't read about. Learning a lot of stuff about the inside politics that led to the rise of Hitler and WWII.I prefer the comicbook version :)

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-21-2012, 06:16 PM
I remember as a kid those comic books that showed Germans whipping hot Jewish women. Used to go to the Utotem in Houston where they had all that stuff and more for my innocent young eyes.

Wet_Boots
05-21-2012, 06:35 PM
this little comicbook won a Pulitzer

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-21-2012, 07:30 PM
Have you ever read Steinbeck's THE MOON IS DOWN? It was a propaganda book he wrote early in the war to show the human dynamics that made being an occupier a losing cause. Short one day read I highly recommend.

Mike Leary
05-21-2012, 07:48 PM
Have you ever read Steinbeck's THE MOON IS DOWN?

I will look for it, I like Steinbeck. Helping some folks today move out and came across a copy of Herman Hesses' "Journey To The East". Whoa! might have to re-read that mind-altering tome that influenced my life fifty years ago.

ARGOS
05-24-2012, 12:07 AM
My reading has been slowed due to work starting back up, but I'm on the 4th book in the Game of Thrones series, which is actually "A Song of Ice and Fire". G.o.T is the first book, but the series is more often called that due to the tv series on HBO. On my nightstand I have "How a Second Grader Beat Wall Street", "Hunger Games", "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest" and "Good to Great".

I just finished 2nd book of Game of Thrones. I look forward to watching season 2.

Might pick up third book of Hunger Games "Mocking Jay". I thought the first two were ok. Movie sucked other then the actress that played Katniss.

Dana have you read "The Magicians" it fits your mix. Crazy bizarre sci fi crossover with a contemporary slant. Urban fantacy.

Last month finished "The Idiot" by Doestoevsky. It was a chore to complete. "Crime and Punishment" was great. So was "The Brothers Karamazov", but "The Idiot" was work.

Before that I read the "Call of the Wind". It was brain candy. Nothing too serious, but entertaining. Fantasy.

DanaMac
05-24-2012, 03:14 AM
I just finished 2nd book of Game of Thrones. I look forward to watching season 2.

Might pick up third book of Hunger Games "Mocking Jay". I thought the first two were ok. Movie sucked other then the actress that played Katniss.

Dana have you read "The Magicians" it fits your mix. Crazy bizarre sci fi crossover with a contemporary slant. Urban fantacy.

I haven't watched any of the Thrones series yet. But I'm looking forward to it. Have it in my list at netflix.

I thought Hunger Games movie was ok, not great. But entertaining. I saw it a couple weeks ago, but haven't read the book yet.

Will look into The Magicians. Thanks.

ARGOS
05-24-2012, 10:56 PM
Someone just recommended "Howl's Moving Castle". Anyone read it?

Wet_Boots
05-25-2012, 07:11 AM
"Howl's Moving Castle" is a book that was adapted into a Miyazaki animated movie. Of the two, the movie is the better experience. In fact, just about any Miyazaki animation is brain candy of the highest order, now that they've been getting top-notch efforts put into the dubbing.