PDA

View Full Version : New Mulch Job

MICHPLOWER
05-20-2012, 09:49 PM
I am bidding on my very first mulching job and was wondering how can I find out how many yards I will need? What I am asking if any one has a formula they would be willing to share how they determine how many yards they will need at different thickness. Also I was wondering what Everyone is charging per yard for mulch installation. Also does any one offer a discount if a customer buys so many yards. Sorry for such a long thread

Thanks in advance for any help or input

Glenn Lawn Care
05-20-2012, 09:59 PM
You need to figure out how many square feet there is in the area that is going to be mulched. Once you have that go to mulchcalculator.com and type in your info.

charmill26
05-20-2012, 10:31 PM
1 cu yd covers 27cu ft. If you are putting it 3" deep that should cover 108 sq ft. 4" would be 81 sq ft if my math isnt wrong. But its always better to overestimate than underestimate

As far as pricing you have to figure out how much you want to make and your costs. On average one person should be able to put down 1-3yds an hour depending on the distance to carry the mulch, landscape density, and MOST importantly work ethic. I have never given a discount for the amount of yards total. Granted I stick to residential but I always price a 30yd install the same as 3yards and never had a problem

MICHPLOWER
05-21-2012, 12:09 AM
Thanks for your help and input.

When your doing a re-mulch what is better 2" or 3"?

lazor-cut
05-21-2012, 12:15 AM
Depends on the customer! If they're going to be picky about it the more you put down the better. If the customer just wants it to look good. And they get mulch every year we usually put it on at 2".

charmill26
05-21-2012, 01:08 AM
the more the better. some want the thinnest possible but that takes longer to spread and also won't last long