PDA

View Full Version : Best sulky for Exmark Metro?

BAMARED
12-23-2002, 08:22 PM
Hey Guys,

Please pardon me if this question has been asked before, but I'm getting extremely close to having my local Exmark dealer order me a brand new Metro. Going w/15 Kohler, 36". I want him to order me a sulky as well but was wondering what kind is best. Single wheel, double wheel, etc.? And why?

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to all,

BAMARED

BOG Lawncare
12-23-2002, 09:00 PM
I have been riding on single and double for the last year now and would have to tell you to go double wheel.

First, you don't end up with the wheel mark in the middle of your mow, they are more stable(IMHO), and take rough terrain better.

The only thing that may be a problem for some is turning it backwards. I seem to have no problem, but other co-workers do......anyways, you don't back up that often to begin with.

grassdaddy
12-23-2002, 10:51 PM
i run a single wheel which i hate,however the velky single wheel i love, the velky spins around out of the in reverse.some just binds up in reverse(like mine).the trimmertrap bullrider is the best 2wheeler i've seen you got a couple of different ways it will operate,its big,i dont really know how well a15hp will pull it.:cool:

TJLC
12-23-2002, 11:16 PM
I use the Exmark sitdown steerable sulky and IMHO it is the best one I have used. I use it on my 48" 17 Kawi TTHP and my 48" 18hp Kohler Viking, it pulles me fine on both. I did have a 36" Exmark 15 hp Kawi w/b that I also used it on and it seemed to work fine also. Good luck.

Scag48
12-23-2002, 11:52 PM
I use Jungle Wheels. You'll have no problem backing it up. Good luck!

Wesley's Lawn
12-23-2002, 11:58 PM
I have a toro 44" with the toro tru track and i love it no problem backing up. Only bad thing about it is when you turn it swings out being it is attached at two places on the mower. Now they dont make them for exmark but jungle wheels makes a good two wheel sulky i know a few guys that have them and love them.

heybruck34
12-23-2002, 11:59 PM
I got my double wheel Velke brand for 100 bucks from a local dealer. It needed new bushings and a few other parts but nothing major. I love it. With my bad knee from college basketball it makes cutting grass a breeze. If you are dropping the coin for a brand new Metro your dealer SHOULD have a couple you could try out- at least in his parking lot or a sidestreet!

-Jeff-

Joel B.
12-24-2002, 01:00 AM
Here's another one to consider:

http://www.proteroinc.com/index.htm

Joel B.

2 man crew
12-24-2002, 01:17 AM
That PS 200 looks identical to my old Turf Rider.

MTR
12-24-2002, 01:40 AM
The best sulky for gear Wb that I love is Jungle Jim's, it hauls *ss, period. (Three pivoting points) It works very well with my Metro, fly on the 4th & 5th gear and leave no ruts or marks. (One gentleman from this site recommended to me, he mowed over 100 accounts with Jungle Jim's on 36" Scag belt Wb).

Exmark's sit-down sulky is suitable for hydro like TTHP, cause you can back up easily, big difference from gear Wb like Metro, you can put on but don't back up! pain in the butt in tight corner, Jungle Wheels is a snap to turn 180* degree.
"Buy what you like most and feel best for you, one thing may work for someone doesn't mean it all." Just a personal experience....

Doogiegh
12-24-2002, 05:24 PM
Do a search for Pro-slide.

It's a rubber/plastic like mat that lays on the ground. The mower drags it along. You stand on it.

It's just like surfing or skateboarding, but you can't fall.

It's very very smooth, there is a spring that pulls the whole mat up in the air when you step off of it, so it's out of the way, even in reverse.

And since the mat is just like a door mat, it lays down stripes like nothing else.

Do a search!!!

IBGreen
12-24-2002, 06:24 PM
A set of Jungle Wheels would be the best investment. You will be happy you spent the $285 or so.

Tvov
12-25-2002, 12:43 AM
We have the Exmark steerable-wheel, spring-seat sulky for our 48" Metro wb and are very happy with it. Yes, the belt drive has a terrible reverse, but the 5 speed transmission really flies in 5th gear.

65hoss
12-25-2002, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Tvov
We have the Exmark steerable-wheel, spring-seat sulky for our 48" Metro wb and are very happy with it. Yes, the belt drive has a terrible reverse, but the 5 speed transmission really flies in 5th gear.
What do you do about backing up when needed?

GilbertJT
12-25-2002, 09:00 AM
Go with the two wheeled Jungle Wheel. They are well built and hold up my big butt no problem. I looked at a bunch of sulkies and am really happy with the Jungle Wheel. I also went directly to the factory and they sometimes have a scratch and dent model for cheap. Check them out.

Tvov
12-25-2002, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by 65hoss
What do you do about backing up when needed?

The layout of my Metro means that the reverse gear is more of an "assist", as opposed to a true reverse. On pavement or hard ground, the mower will reverse on its own, but on grass you just have to push with your legs, and the mower will "help" as best it can.

The biggest thing when using that mower is to plan your pattern, so that when you mow you don't need to reverse, or as little as possible. Obviously, the hydros are better, but it works, and we got it when buying a hydro wasn't possible. It has definitely paid for itself, and sulkys on belt drives are certainly an option for those who can't afford hydro yet.

lawncare3
12-26-2002, 01:05 PM
Get a fixed wheel sulky (swivel wheels) they work the the best! They are reversable and only cost about $200 from northern catalog.;)