PDA

View Full Version : Ideas/Opinions on Rubber Mulch

KCLawnCareService
05-21-2012, 10:50 PM
Anyone have experience with using Rubber Mulch? Being in Southern Indiana we do not see a lot of this in our area. Looking for insights, pros/cons of using this material. Everything I have researched looks to be a great product. Wondering if it is something worth a gamble in and around this area. Could be a good way to dip into the landscape area of business. Right now I am just beginning to mow on the side for extra income. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

JB1
05-21-2012, 10:54 PM
saw it in a playground, very expensive, and was everywhere but where it was supposed to be, maintance people did not like it as they were always having to clean it up.

OakNut
05-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Except for specific applications, I'm not a fan.

At least regular mulch breaks down over time. Rubber is just going to sit there being rubber. It's not "natural", and other organic debris that would naturally mix in and break down will just look messy instead.

Also, mulch shouldn't be "shiny".

dc240nt
05-22-2012, 02:01 AM
I had my deer exhibit sitting on it for three years at the MN State Fair. I didnt have a choice, the fair board put me there. This was crushed/shredded tires. The stuff was filthy! And like someone already mentioned, it was everywhere...in your shoes, in my exhibit, stuck in the door jams. I despised the stuff. Filthy when dry, filthy when wet. And what is the enviromental impact with the stuff? The stuff isnt going to rot away, if it ever does break down it has to dispose of it petroleum byproducts. I wouldnt want my kids playing on it for an extended period of time, and I wouldnt want it around my house either.

JB1
05-22-2012, 06:04 AM
what gets me about it is it's super expensive, so who do you see use it so much schools or government agencies using our tax money cause its too expensive for anyone else.

Duekster
05-22-2012, 06:27 AM
In the right applications it works well, Granted it is not natural and does not break down into the soil.

It does effectively block many weeds when 3~4" thick.
It is heavier than wood mulch so it actually does stay put better.
I ran some numbers and the cost recovery is about 5 years. If you put it somewhere it gets foot traffic then you are wasting money.

We contractors will make more money in labor installing wood mulch more often.

I bet on some job sites at casual glance you would know some rubber mulch from wood mulch.

KCLawnCareService
05-22-2012, 09:01 AM
Thanks for input. Sounds like most people are opposed to it more than people like it. I guess from a business standpoint one would want to remulch a persons place each year to make more money. I was just looking at a way to introduce a new product to my area, one that no one currently has. Also I really do not like to remulch my place each year and looked at it as a way to have a good eye appeal without adding mulch every year. Anyone out there use this material and actually like it?

Duekster
05-22-2012, 09:04 AM
Thanks for input. Sounds like most people are opposed to it more than people like it. I guess from a business standpoint one would want to remulch a persons place each year to make more money. I was just looking at a way to introduce a new product to my area, one that no one currently has. Also I really do not like to remulch my place each year and looked at it as a way to have a good eye appeal without adding mulch every year. Anyone out there use this material and actually like it?

I think it would rock in playgrounds where you have the fall concerns. Most places just use pea gravel however. :dizzy:

SSmith
05-23-2012, 07:59 AM
I've only seen it used in playgrounds. It's awesome for them, though.