PDA

View Full Version : cut irrigation control wire

TimNNJ
05-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Ok we made a bed by the house and the guys cut the control wire..cut the yellow wire in half..home owner didn't tell me until she got the bill for $500.00 bucks..couldn't we have just twisted it back together?...or no..she said they said they couldn't..hmmm

Wet_Boots
05-22-2012, 03:16 PM
Would you sell the customer account for $500 and be happy to never see another dime from them? Irrigation wires are never "just twisted back together" - first you have to find the break, and then you have to mend it

TimNNJ
05-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Just a general question if it could be repaired and not totally ripped out ..
Posted via Mobile Device

Wet_Boots
05-22-2012, 03:43 PM
Pretty much all wiring can be repaired, but if you broke it in one place, why not multiple breaks?

TimNNJ
05-22-2012, 03:48 PM
Skimmed it. She showed me.. I figured it could be fixed. I just thought he was taken for a ride. And I split it with her. And parted ways
Posted via Mobile Device

Stuttering Stan
05-22-2012, 03:56 PM
It's not as simple as you may think. The irrigator had no knowedge as to where the wire was the cut. So he had to troubleshoot the problem, find the break, repair, run the system to ensure everything works, cleanup, and inform the client. Let's not forget to make a profit to cover wages, overhead, and gas. So it's not as simple as it appears.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wet_Boots
05-22-2012, 03:58 PM
$200 might be a minimum price for a repair in your area - just a repair

Basically, a landscaper never has priority when they break something. It gets repaired at full market value, and they get stuck with the bill for what they broke.

TimNNJ
05-22-2012, 04:15 PM
I know.. Just wanted to check with you guys to make sure it to could be repaired. i dont know who she uses but said the owner came out and gbe the guys hell because they ahould of found the problem right away. All good thanks for the replies
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Leary
05-22-2012, 04:20 PM
It gets repaired at full market value, and they get stuck with the bill for what they broke.

True, though I've had breaks where the cold call told me to fix it and send the guilty party the bill......right :laugh::dizzy::dizzy:

Wet_Boots
05-22-2012, 04:36 PM
We have lots of threads about tracking cut wires. it isn't always an easy find, especially if only a single wire is broken in a multi-conductor cable.

Mike Leary
05-22-2012, 04:41 PM
We have lots of threads about tracking cut wires. it isn't always an easy find, especially if only a single wire is broken in a multi-conductor cable.

OR, someone ran out of 14g white wire for the common and spliced-in red, like the rest of the hots. :hammerhead:

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-22-2012, 06:19 PM
I know.. Just wanted to check with you guys to make sure it to could be repaired. i dont know who she uses but said the owner came out and gbe the guys hell because they ahould of found the problem right away. All good thanks for the replies
Posted via Mobile Device

Red flag. 2 guys took 2 long 2 find a nicked wire. With a fault finder and a 521 unless the nicked wire was under some just planted tree it sounds like a one man 2 hour job.

Mike Leary
05-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Red flag. 2 guys took 2 long 2 find a nicked wire. With a fault finder and a 521 unless the nicked wire was under some just planted tree it sounds like a one man 2 hour job.

Most contractors have had the same quandary, including me. My rule was, "if you don't have a handle on it within an hour, call me and go on to the next job".

Kiril
05-22-2012, 06:39 PM
Nicked wire .... just rip it all out and replace it. :rolleyes:

jvanvliet
05-22-2012, 08:44 PM
OR, someone ran out of 14g white wire for the common and spliced-in red, like the rest of the hots. :hammerhead:

I cut green into mine :rolleyes:

If that doesn't do it, we rip out the entire system and replace it.

Mike Leary
05-22-2012, 09:04 PM
How did this thread get to this point? Oh, well, go with the flow, I always say.
Speaking of wire, one :hammerhead: I've run into on many systems, where the "contractor" spliced or ran shunt wires. Various sizes/colors of multi-strand were used where red became yellow, on and on. What a surprise today when we serviced one of mine and found MY crew had done the same thing! Luckily, we had the color coding, whew, I almost became my own rant! :cry:

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-22-2012, 10:37 PM
Shunt...haven't heard that used in years. Excellent word Mike. Described the situation perfectly.

1idejim
05-22-2012, 10:55 PM
No one can tell another how long finding a fault or valve for that matter should take to find. each job is unique with its own issues. $500 seems high if the yard was small, the wire shallow and there was evidence of recent activity. but on the other hand it could have been a real teaser. i believe in flat rating locating, screw the hourly crap. this eleminates people learning on the cvstomers dime and also breeds better locators. consider this a lesson learned. BE MORE CAREFULL
Posted via Mobile Device

DanaMac
05-22-2012, 11:12 PM
$500 seems very high. They should have contacted you first about the issue, considering you had just done some work there. I would have been pizzed to have to eat $250 for what should have taken less than an hour.

CAPT Stream Rotar
05-23-2012, 10:37 PM
I've been on medium commercial systems where it was chop shop.

The planting crews just butcher the wire.We have eaten hours and hours of repair cause the Joe's were to scared or dumb to report the issues..

greenmonster304
05-23-2012, 11:11 PM
I always tell the landscape crews on jobs I don't care if they break it just tell me.
Posted via Mobile Device

CAPT Stream Rotar
05-23-2012, 11:13 PM
I always tell the landscape crews on jobs I don't care if they break it just tell me.
Posted via Mobile Device

same with the heads or pipes....

but the dumb ones just never get it.

jvanvliet
05-25-2012, 07:47 AM
Just finished a repair job where the Jose's installed their plantings on top of spray heads; then installed landscape edging and managed to drive the landscape staples through the main every 30" or so and intermitently through the control wires.

They didn't have to tell anyone there was a problem :laugh:

Mike Leary
05-25-2012, 11:58 AM

Geez, it gets worse, I've had clients that neglected to call me when they put new phone lines in and/or changed the landscape design. :hammerhead:

Sprinkus
05-25-2012, 02:50 PM
Geez, it gets worse, I've had clients that neglected to call me when they put new phone lines in and/or changed the landscape design. :hammerhead:

My problem is that the landscapers change the design and don't tell me, along with adding excessive mulch when they re-mulch established beds.
6" pop-ups don't pop-up too high when buried under 6" of mulch. :mad: