PDA

View Full Version : Stik Edgers

Lawn-N-Garden Guy
12-23-2002, 10:55 PM
I currently own a Crapsman walk behind sidewalk edger with a briggs on it,But was wondering what you guys think of those stik edgers and what brand is good , I'm pretty parcial to Stihl but always open for suggestions.I'm sure they are easier to handle but have never used one,the walk behind kind tends to tip over in some places and not so good for inside beds.I use the walk behind to edge blue rug junipers along side walks but I thought a stik edger would be good to edge these shrubs on the inside of beds.

Would I be ahead by purchasing a changable head type to accomidate other attachments. Thanx

grassdaddy
12-23-2002, 11:09 PM
check out--www.edgit.com--:) :)

65hoss
12-23-2002, 11:13 PM
I use the Stihle FC85 stick edger. I believe its the best currently on the market. The design of the edger and guard keep it from clogging. The Stihl with the metal clutches never has problems getting thru the toughest situations.

crazygator
12-23-2002, 11:15 PM
I have the Redmax stick edger. I have not found the right blade performance as of yet, but next season I will try some different ones and find the right setup for my needs. It's nice to be able to fly through, rather than walk behind the edger. And you would add another bulky machine for the already cramped trailer, where as the stick edger mounts in the trimmer racks.

If your doing a lot of edging I think it is worth the money to get a stick instead of the walk behind.

On the other hand if you are doing edging that has a lot of over-growth the walk behind would be best the first time through because of more power.

Sooners
12-23-2002, 11:15 PM
LNG Guy, I'm doing the same thing as you and have the same problems. I've always wondered the same thing since I've never used the stick kind. I always thought it would hit the concrete when trimming the sidewalk and be hard to maneuver. I plan on buying a Stihl pole set-up for hedge trimming and wonder if the edging attachment is worth the cost. Hey guys, is the stick attachment quicker than a conventional edger?

65hoss
12-23-2002, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Sooners
Hey guys, is the stick attachment quicker than a conventional edger?

Many times faster. As fast as you can walk it does the edging.

Sooners
12-23-2002, 11:24 PM
65 Hoss, what about the concrete? Does it present a problem and is it easy to make a straight cut at walking speed?

Lawn Specialties
12-23-2002, 11:26 PM
I use an echo 2400 and love it. I have only used a walk behind once and found it to be a pain.I'm sure they have there uses like tough stuff that is thick but for weekly upkeep you'll love a stick edger.As far as what brand to buy is your preference. Like I said I use an echo 2400 same as my string trimmer.It's nice to have two pieces of equipment that share almost all identical parts.

65hoss
12-23-2002, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Sooners
65 Hoss, what about the concrete? Does it present a problem and is it easy to make a straight cut at walking speed? Concrete is not a problem. That is what its made for. Edging concrete. I can see where it might worry you not ever using one before, but its very easy to keep a straight line. I've had several moron employees that could handle it without any problem.

kppurn
12-24-2002, 12:16 AM
I have the Stihl FC 85 and love it.
It's one of my most valuable tools. I can't edge very well with my trimmer, so the stick edger is great. Once the initial edging is done, you can edge as fast as you can walk. I have experimented with different blades and really like running the star blades from j-thomas.

Sooners
12-24-2002, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by 65hoss
its very easy to keep a straight line. I've had several moron employees that could handle it without any problem.

Morons? I thought you were in Tennessee, not Utah. Oops. I read it wrong. Thanks for the input 65 Hoss, I've definitely got to get me one of those next spring. Edging is eating my lunch. I usually end up doing it with a line trimmer.

Sooners
12-24-2002, 12:51 AM
Is the Stihl FC 85 a dedicated edger or is it one that uses all the attachments? If it's dedicated, is it more powerful than the model that uses all the attachments? I don't remember the exact model no.'s, but when I checked the Stihl line a few months ago, I think I remember the model that used the attachments was not the most powerful model, but I was told it was powerful enough for commercial use.

Sooners
12-24-2002, 02:02 AM
I found some of the info I was looking for in the above thread. The FS 85RT is the unit that can use all the attachments. It has the same engine as the FC 85 edger (which is stand alone). I got this from www.stihlusa.com/trimmers I will probably get the FS 85RT so I can use the attachments. The RT probably weighs a little more because of the coupling.

BOG Lawncare
12-24-2002, 03:43 AM
never used anything , but stihl.....so I'm kinda partial too!:rolleyes:

cajuncutter
12-24-2002, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by crazygator
I have the Redmax stick edger.

If your doing a lot of edging I think it is worth the money to get a stick instead of the walk behind.

On the other hand if you are doing edging that has a lot of over-growth the walk behind would be best the first time through because of more power.
I want to try the RedMax

I was standing in line at home depot and a guy bought one of those push edgers, not much difference in price for a stick believe it or not. That thing was pricey

When I had my LE 230 I had no problems with over hanging grass. I have done some serious clean up jobs. It seemed they had not edged in 2 or more years. One job was over a mile of side walk. We would cut out where the side walk should be and scrap it up with a shuvel. The edge again to define the side walk. The stick edger did a better job than my to Golden boys:D

cutting edge
12-24-2002, 07:32 AM
I went from a craftsman walkbehind to a Stihl FC85 a few years ago, and have not used the craftsman since. The Stihl even has the power to create new bed edges, and it won't clog.

I had the opportunity to use a RedMax straight shaft edger once. It made me realize what a great machine the Stihl is. Before you buy a RedMax you better give Stihl a try.

rvsuper
12-24-2002, 12:32 PM
How well does the edgit work for the straight-shaft trimmers?

Blessed 1
12-25-2002, 12:06 AM
Have not used my Craftsman since I bought a hand held back in May. I still justify keeping the Craftsman by saying that I need it for 1st time overgrown edges but every time I need it its home in the shed. I would stongly consider the split boom design amd but the attatchment. If I had done that when I bought my Stihl trimmer I would not have to now that I am considering trimmer type hedge clippers. :rolleyes:

edgit
12-25-2002, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by RVLI
How well does the edgit work for the straight-shaft trimmers?

You have to establish a wider edge than a blade edger will create, about a half inch wide. Once thats done you can edge as fast as you can walk. The main thing is do the edging while you are out there doing the trimming. This is much more productive than using any kind of blade edger and doing them as two seperate processes. Remember, nobody makes a living doing first time edgings. Go to edgit.com and click on the manicuring system we developed "Following the Edge". Nothing complex here, its what everyone does if they edge with their trimmer, we just proceduralized it. Make sure you try using the trimmer left handed, nothing dumber than walking backwards or sideways while trimming.

PaulJ
12-25-2002, 03:43 PM
I use an Echo trimmer (2400 ithink) with an edgit. and I use like Edgit describes. It's very fast and simple and leaves a great looking edge. For new edges with 6 inches of dirt and grass growing ofer the walk, I rent a walkbhind to get through the dirt. Then I still use the trimmer wiht edgit to clean up the edge before blowing everything off.

"Following the edge" has been a very productive system for me.

Welcome to lawnsite Edgit:D

nelbuts
12-26-2002, 04:29 PM
Echo stick edgers are very dependable. I would not buy any product that can convert from a weed eater, to hedge trimmer. to edger. Just answer this question, what happens when that company does away with that product? Besides takes to long to change over.

Roger
12-26-2002, 05:17 PM
I have a Stihl FS85 string trimmer. Up until two years ago, I was using it to clean up the edges for a few of my properties (running the string in the vertical plane). I was never happy with the result, but resisted spending money on another machine.

I changed my mind when one customer complained, bought the Stihl FC85 dedicated edger. It was a very wise investment. I've now been able to clean up edges at other properties, and maintain them on a weekly basis. The results are satisfactory to me, and to my customers. I wouldn't choose a switchable unit because I use the string trimmer and the edger back-to-back too often.

I also have a Stihl hand blower and a hedge clipper, total of four items of Stihl gear. I'm very satisfied, and have set aside my Shidaiwa(sp?) trimmer and blower.

One added comment with the stick edger ... make sure the blade doesn't get worn too badly. My first one was too badly worn before I realized it was not doing the right job. I use it for both dirt bed edges and concrete edges.

Sammy
12-26-2002, 06:45 PM
The FS-85 and FC-85 are the same machine with different heads.
I traded my old edger for the new FC-85. Now I can change heads on either one ! :cool:

FrankenScagMachines
12-26-2002, 07:55 PM
I have a Stihl FS80R trimmer which does not accept attachments other than brushcutting optional blades. I have also a Echo SRM2400SB split boom with a hedge trimmer head and I will be getting an edger attachment for it. I think this is the ideal setup for convenience and budget friendliness. Have a dedicated trimmer and a split boom type for the edger and then you can use it for other attachments. This way they can be versatile and you don't waste time switching attachments when trimming and edging back to back but you can save several hundred dollars over buying another dedicated machine. I bought the Stihl new not thinking I could justify the extra for a split boom but at the time I didn't need an edger. Later I bought the Echo used but in good shape with the hedge trimmer and realized how useful a split boom would be. I think this would be the ideal setup now that I think about it.

FS Lawn
12-26-2002, 08:33 PM
ECHO - I have had a Echo stick edger for the last couple years and have not had a moments trouble. I would recomend getting a dedicated edger not a split shaft , thats alot for just one engine.

baddboygeorge
12-27-2002, 01:13 PM
edgers are a waste of time if your good on a string trimmer you can lay the hell out of edges an i promise ya that . its quick simple an easy to run thru once ya got it down . i'll have the property edged by the time you get your walkbehind edger started an off your trailer. i always see new lawn companys starting up an it seems like an edger is the first thing they buy thats how i can tell they are new to this profession .

edgit
12-27-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by baddboygeorge
edgers are a waste of time if your good on a string trimmer you can lay the hell out of edges an i promise ya that . its quick simple an easy to run thru once ya got it down . i'll have the property edged by the time you get your walkbehind edger started an off your trailer. i always see new lawn companys starting up an it seems like an edger is the first thing they buy thats how i can tell they are new to this profession .

George, if you edge with your trimmer you should take a look at our guide. You may be good at it but its not easy to get new operators to edge with their trimmer.

lee b
12-27-2002, 07:56 PM
Down south an edger is a must have item, a string trimmer just won't do the job. I use a husky edger, can't remember the model, but has always worked great. I don't care how good you are with a string trimmer, you can't keep up with a good stick-edger, or leave as crisp of an edge.

FrankenScagMachines
12-27-2002, 08:02 PM
Lee, funny you mentioned that, I live in Indiana where you don't see alot of edging, and when I went down south to Georgia (visited my brother in boot camp at Ft. Benning) the one thing I noticed was shorter grass, no stripes, all greenish looking except where it had mild scalping, and very nice edging! The lawns didn't look that bad except I like stripes, but the edging was beautiful down south! I mean GA and AL mainly. Don't remember any other states in between because we mostly drove through KY and TN.
Anyway I liked it about as much as southerners seem to like us northerner's stripes!
Eric :)

edgit
12-28-2002, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by lee blount
Down south an edger is a must have item, a string trimmer just won't do the job. I use a husky edger, can't remember the model, but has always worked great. I don't care how good you are with a string trimmer, you can't keep up with a good stick-edger, or leave as crisp of an edge.

I respectively disagree Lee, I've used both and with our edging guide on a trimmer I can cut every bit as straight an edge as you can with a blade edger and just as fast. But more importantly I can do both the trimming and edging as one process, which means I finish the job faster than you can, which means more money in my pocket.
The trimmer with our Edgit also cuts a wider, more distinctive edge that lasts longer between mowings than the edge you cut. And once a groove is established the trimmer cuts a crisper edge than a blade edger.
The other problem I have with blade edgers is that you're always cutting with a dull blade. Think what kind cut you get with a mower blade thats as dull as your edger blade. That's the kind of vertical cut you get all the time with a blade edger.
Now don't get me wrong, for first time edgings, or spring edging a blade edger is useful. Problem is nobody makes a living doing first time edgings.
We sell thousands of Edgits used on southern tough grasses. The bottom line Lee is that under no circumstances can you manicure a lawn using a seperate blade edger and trimmer, as fast as I can using a trimmer and Edgit. And in my opinion I still produce better looking edges.
Steve Byrne

lee b
12-28-2002, 09:38 PM
Sorry Idgit, but string will not cut the runners on centipede and bermuda grass nearly as good as cold steel. String may work on the types of grass ya'll have up north, but I was talking about under my conditions. If you don't think so, just bring your trimmer on down and we'll edge trimmer vs. edger, winner gets the losers machine. I can use another string trimmer. About the blade getting dull, even dull the blade is no wider than your string, so what's your point? How can a string hitting and deflecting at different angles make as clean of an edge as a steel blade going straight? You said yourself that your trimmer makes a wider edge, how is that going to be a crisper edge than a thin steel blade?

TurfPro
12-29-2002, 08:28 AM
When I started out several years ago I used a string trimmer as an edger.It was real hard to establish a straight line on these ultra thick St. Augustine & Centipede Lawns,,the runners were just too much for the string to handle,,, but the biggest reason I DO NOT use a string trimmer as an edger is SAFETY. A string trimmer acts as a sling shot on debris that finds its way into a nice sidewalk edge. You WILL be replacing windows sooner of later going that route.
Plus a string trimmer does not have a wheel to hold it's own weight as you edge,an edger does,,i feel less tired after a long day because of that.
My .02:)

edgit
12-29-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by lee blount
Sorry Idgit, but string will not cut the runners on centipede and bermuda grass nearly as good as cold steel. String may work on the types of grass ya'll have up north, but I was talking about under my conditions. If you don't think so, just bring your trimmer on down and we'll edge trimmer vs. edger, winner gets the losers machine. I can use another string trimmer. About the blade getting dull, even dull the blade is no wider than your string, so what's your point? How can a string hitting and deflecting at different angles make as clean of an edge as a steel blade going straight? You said yourself that your trimmer makes a wider edge, how is that going to be a crisper edge than a thin steel blade?

Gee lee, take a chill pill. I was only respectively disagreeing with ya. But since you started it I'll accept your proposal. We will be in Atlanta Feb 13-16 for the Golf Course Superintendants Show. I still think I can cut as crisp an edge with the Edgit and trimmer as fast as you can with your edger, but that is of course subjective. But what is objective is who can manicure a property faster, which translates into who's the most productive, you know makes the most money. To prove my point you bring your edger and trimmer, and I'll hand an Edgit/trimmer to the bystander of your choice, even one who's never touched a trimmer before, and we'll see who finishes first. I don't really have any use for your edger but I'll take your trimmer. On second thought your edger might make a good boat anchor.

lee b
12-29-2002, 08:25 PM
Idgit, what is subjective about an edger doing its designed job and edging faster and neater than a trimmer? It can easily be proven, of course I already know that a string trimmer has a terrible time trying to cut {neatly} thru a runner of centipede grass as thick as a pencil laying flat on the ground. We were discussing which tool would be faster and do the best job EDGING, now you want to add trimming into it. Also when I posted, I was talking about my conditions, not those in Atlanta, I'm a long ways south of Atlanta. But if you are serious P.M. me and I'll be glad to give you directions to here and we can compete on my turf. I sure hope you use a Stihl 85 trimmer, I've been hankering for one......:D :D :D

grassdaddy
12-29-2002, 08:50 PM
atlanta seems like a good half way point for the 2 of yuns.hell i'll drive 2 hours to referee.it's about time we get to see some actual hands on competition.if your gonna be a bear don't be a koala!;)

SpudsM15
12-29-2002, 09:12 PM
"edgers are a waste of time if your good on a string trimmer you can lay the hell out of edges an i promise ya that . its quick simple an easy to run thru once ya got it down . i'll have the property edged by the time you get your walkbehind edger started an off your trailer. i always see new lawn companys starting up an it seems like an edger is the first thing they buy thats how i can tell they are new to this profession ."

I happend to be very handy with my power equipment and have years of expirence to back it up. I just got a stick edger this year. I got it a home depot and since I work there I got it dirt cheap just to give it a test run. Its a john deere bc-1800 split boom 30cc "not a commercial machine". I have timed myself on the same lawns on established edges... The stick edger wins in speed but not by much. But the time it takes to switch makes up for more of the differance. But the stick edger eliminates the "opps" of doing edges with a string edger. "You know when you are walking on a uneven side walk and you make a nice lil mark 2 inchs in to the edge."opps" the stick edger eliminates that. You get a perfect edge everytime! Plus I'm useing a cheap residential machine I get about 75 houses per blade which cost 2.50 a peice! and i feel it is easier to change the blade than wraping the spool so often. From my experiance doing edges with a string trimmer eats the string up!
I am planning on buying a echo splitboom for a dedicated use as a edge and than get the hedge clipper attachment for when i need it!

John's Lawns
03-02-2005, 03:42 AM
Just wondering if Lee and Edgit ever had their duel and if so, who won?