PDA

View Full Version : Remotes 101

Mikegyver
05-22-2012, 11:53 PM
Tell me what I need to know about remotes. What brand is the best? How do they actually work? What does a typical setup run? How hard is it to set up the pigtails on the controler?
I need to get my backflow gauge before (any recommendations?) but after I get that I will be looking at a remote.

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-23-2012, 12:07 AM
Best....RainMaster Promax UA
Best situation is having all your controllers be a single brand so you can buy a manufacturer specific remote and avoid pigtails. Rarely happens.
They run the system from wherever you happen to be standing in the irrigation system. Eliminate the trips back and forth between the controller.
Pigtail hookup varies by controller. Screw terminals are the fastest. RB ESPM is the easiest and fastest among residentials. The RB commercials with double speaker wire connectors are nice as well. The WM SL is the biggest pia to hook a pigtail to.
I used my remote every day 3-6 times a day. It is like having an employee that stands at the controller and does what you ask but doesn't get a paycheck and doesn't screw with the radio in your truck.

Mikegyver
05-23-2012, 12:27 AM
What do they cost?

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-23-2012, 12:54 AM
As much as I hate showing sprinkler warehouse they do have a pretty decent price on a new rain master remote. Theirs goes under the irritrol name though. Check ou all the remotes they list though. Their pigtails though are way over priced.
http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Irritrol-Sprinkler-Irrigation-Remote-Kit-p/promax-ua.htm

jabbo
05-23-2012, 08:28 AM
Speaking of remotes... Which remote would I need for my home irrigation only. I have all Hunter stuff... Pro-C.

mitchgo
05-23-2012, 08:33 AM
For a Homeowner there are two kinds for the pro-c

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Hunter-Sprinkler-Irrigation-Remote-Kit-p/roam-kit.htm

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Hunter-Sprinkler-Irrigation-Remote-Kit-p/icr-kit.htm

You also need this

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Hunter-SmartPort-Connection-Kit-p/roam-wh.htm

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-23-2012, 08:57 AM
1000' limit on that roam. Even less if you are on the opposite side of the house from the controller.

jabbo
05-23-2012, 09:09 AM
Ok, I'm an electronics guy and I do understand the "transmitter has to have a receiver" thing, but is this 2 remote looking things that you get with the "kit"??? Looks like they would have made the receiver look more like a small control box or something rather than look just like the other remote or am I missing something here. And also where would the receiver be mounted or is that the pic where it is mounted on the conduit coming up to the controller??? :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Hunter-Sprinkler-Irrigation-Remote-Kit-p/roam-kit.htm

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Hunter-Sprinkler-Irrigation-Remote-Kit-p/icr-kit.htm

You also need this

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-23-2012, 09:31 AM
You are buying a cheap remote so it's going to look odd and plasticky. The receiver plugs into the remote port in mitchgo's last link.

Wet_Boots
05-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Hunter devised a 3-terminal connector for their remotes, and the connector has a 1/2-inch male thread on it, so it can fit into a female-thread fitting

You can't add extension wire to the connector, so it lives nearby the controller.

Mike Leary
05-23-2012, 11:04 AM
As much as I hate showing sprinkler warehouse they do have a pretty decent price on a new rain master remote. Theirs goes under the irritrol name though. Check ou all the remotes they list though. Their pigtails though are way over priced.
http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Irritrol-Sprinkler-Irrigation-Remote-Kit-p/promax-ua.htm

I'm going to double check with my branch today, but I was quoted $400.00 for the transmitter only.

Mikegyver
05-23-2012, 01:31 PM
I'm going to double check with my branch today, but I was quoted $400.00 for the transmitter only.
So what all do you need besides the transmitter?

bcg
05-23-2012, 01:39 PM
The TRC remotes do a fine job for about 2/3 the cost of the Rainmaster ProMaxUA. I've got 3 TRC's and like them all, though I do have to send them in about once a year for a tune-up ($250), but I use the tar out of them, every day, and they do get wet a lot so I'm fine with that. Cheaper than having a "helper" and I definitely more than make up for it with the time saved. Since I bill flat rates, the faster I finish a job, the more I make so a remote is a money maker for me.

Mike Leary
05-23-2012, 01:50 PM
So what all do you need besides the transmitter?

I don't need, both the clocks at my site have RM permanent receivers. The factory has to program the serial numbers of both receivers so I can toggle between "1" & "2" when switching from clock to clock.

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-23-2012, 01:59 PM
Nothing wrong with TRCs. They've been at it a long time. My only issue is I like having an independent mv and when you step up to the commander to get that the price difference is nil.

bcg
05-23-2012, 02:15 PM
You can work around that, if I have a 12 station controller, I just turn on station 13 and viola, independent MV activation...

Mike Leary
05-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Nothing wrong with TRCs. They've been at it a long time. My only issue is I like having an independent mv and when you step up to the commander to get that the price difference is nil.

I serviced a County Court House that had the TRC with the RB permanent receiver built-in. The reception was terrible (it may not have been a Commander transmitter, I don't recall), and I refused to service the extensive system until I could either install a RM pigtail or have the original contractor return and address the antenna location of the receiver. My first remote was a TRC, and it worked fine for line-of-sight applications, but as soon as I started taking on commercial/large residential work, I switched to Rainmaster and never looked back. :clapping:

DanaMac
05-23-2012, 02:29 PM
I serviced a County Court House that had the TRC with the RB permanent receiver built-in. The reception was terrible (it may not have been a Commander transmitter, I don't recall), and I refused to service the extensive system until I could either install a RM pigtail or have the original contractor return and address the antenna location of the receiver. My first remote was a TRC, and it worked fine for line-of-sight applications, but as soon as I started taking on commercial/large residential work, I switched to Rainmaster and never looked back. :clapping:

I will agree on the TRC issue. I have a Commander and it can be fussy when not line of site. Sometimes it works, sometimes it won't. Someday I'll step up and get the real thing.

bcg
05-23-2012, 04:26 PM
The largest site I deal with is about 5 irrigated acres. I've not had any problems with my TRC on those and I'm using the Sidekick. On bigger properties, I'll use the high gain antenna on the receiver and make an effort to get it as high as I can.

Mike Leary
05-23-2012, 04:33 PM
I'll use the high gain antenna on the receiver and make an effort to get it as high as I can.

Down on the flats, it's prolly not a big deal, do you use a stepladder? :rolleyes:

bcg
05-23-2012, 04:38 PM
It's got a magnet mount so if there's something metal nearby, I'll toss it up and it usually snaps on. One of the sites has a stack of Spanish tile conveniently stacked right next to the wall so I can easily put it on top of the 10' wall. There's usually a way to make it work.

1idejim
05-23-2012, 06:33 PM

You also need this

it's a sad day when lawnsite is pimping sprinkler warehouse :hammerhead:

Mike Leary
05-23-2012, 06:44 PM
it's a sad day when lawnsite is pimping sprinkler warehouse :hammerhead:

Nope, it's just Mitch and Peter. the rest of us are better educated, umm, except one. :rolleyes:

Wet_Boots
05-23-2012, 06:58 PM
buncha lowlifes over there :hammerhead:

Mike Leary
05-23-2012, 07:02 PM
buncha lowlifes over there :hammerhead:

Umm........

Wet_Boots
05-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Umm........speaking of which, I recall one B. Leary Boozemeister posting on a forum.....

Mike Leary
05-23-2012, 08:47 PM
speaking of which, I recall one B. Leary Boozemeister posting on a forum.....

Nice guy,he is a REP for Orbit. I met him at I.A. Geez, he must have had a great expense account! :drinkup:

txirrigation
05-23-2012, 09:02 PM
We have remotes for Rainbird and Hunter.

We use them for walk-throughs/ inspections/ and warranty work so the customer does not have to be home.

A lot of people only think of remotes for repair/ Service. They are invaluable for installers.

Mike Leary
05-23-2012, 09:10 PM
We have remotes for Rainbird and Hunter.

We use them for walk-throughs/ inspections/ and warranty work so the customer does not have to be home.

A lot of people only think of remotes for repair/ Service. They are invaluable for installers.

I can not imagine, running a full-service business and not having a remote. Granted, when I was just getting going, it was a pricey investment, but I knew it was the way, best for the clients and sure saved my legs.

CAPT Stream Rotar
05-23-2012, 09:15 PM
Promaxua- biggest dog around
RB LIMR- sh!t the bed on me might have to call a rep when I have time to get it working
hunter roam- not bad for the price, has issues with dirt and water

Mike Leary
05-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Promaxua- biggest dog around
RB LIMR- sh!t the bed on me might have to call a rep when I have time to get it working
hunter roam- not bad for the price, has issues with dirt and water

I agree with the first two, wtf is the Hunter "roam".

CAPT Stream Rotar
05-23-2012, 09:39 PM
I'm pretty sure its the new remote for their systems.
used to be the ssr ?

basically smaller unit, just as sh!tty.

mrsteve
05-23-2012, 09:46 PM
I've used the TRC 32 commander system for about eight years. Very happy with the range and the ease of 9-volt batteries. Big properties I set out the magnet as high as I can reach. Had their pigtail/alligator clip deal at first for the places that didn't have a wired pigtail, but later made my own with bigger clips for that purpose. The new female pigtails seem to be a little better for when they are exposed to the weather. Prices have come down, I think I paid around 1600.

jabbo
05-23-2012, 09:59 PM
Thanks guys. Just ordered me a Hunter "Roam" from Sprinkler Warehouse.... $139.00 and free shipping. Can't beat that!!!!:dancing:

CAPT Stream Rotar
05-23-2012, 10:03 PM
Jabbo- for the price and the sheer hours it will save you in labor I think you made a great decision.

Once you get sick of being out of range, your hear the call for the promax ua..

I know i did after a few years..

Also a few weeks ago me and AI inc were talking about the roam.

He suggested to put a condom on it so the dirt/ water doesnt get in there..

I just wrapped mine in electrical tape and called it a day....

Now Hunter is charging for their patch cords...eh.

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-23-2012, 10:19 PM
I can not imagine, running a full-service business and not having a remote. Granted, when I was just getting going, it was a pricey investment, but I knew it was the way, best for the clients and sure saved my legs.

Ditto. I was just out of puppyhood when I bought my first rain master. It was that giant thing with the rechargeable transmitter. Cost me over 2000.00 and that was back in the late 80s maybe early 90s. Even then the math made so much sense to me. Employee or remote? Txirrigation you are right on the installs. I was still installing back then and I could knock out nozzling, adjusting, walking customers through the system and getting my check in a whole lot less time.

jbell36
05-23-2012, 10:37 PM
most of the systems around here are the hunter pro-c, and i'm glad...i don't know about you guys but the pro-c seems to be the easiest to work, especially for the customer...i thought there were only two remotes offered right now for hunter, and that's the roam and the ICR? are there any others that will work with it? it does suck that their pigtails are $6-8 now...

i found the indoor pro-c for $61.95 and outdoor for $73.95 today, bought two of each...i hope to have most of our systems replaced with pro-c's from here on out, when needed of course

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-23-2012, 11:13 PM
most of the systems around here are the hunter pro-c, and i'm glad...i don't know about you guys but the pro-c seems to be the easiest to work, especially for the customer...i thought there were only two remotes offered right now for hunter, and that's the roam and the ICR? are there any others that will work with it? it does suck that their pigtails are $6-8 now...

i found the indoor pro-c for $61.95 and outdoor for $73.95 today, bought two of each...i hope to have most of our systems replaced with pro-c's from here on out, when needed of course

Get a hold of A-1. You and he are on the same page. If all you have to do is pay 6-8 for a pigtail you are getting a great deal. The only other kind of remote to consider is the TRC OR RAINMASTER and that's to be able to operate non-hunter controllers. Even then you will pay 15-20 for a 12 station pigtail. You can use those with the hunter as well but not with their pigtail.

Mikegyver
05-23-2012, 11:24 PM
Ok so all I need to buy is this and a mess of pigtails?
http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Ir.../promax-ua.htm

jcsmith
05-24-2012, 06:08 AM
Ok so all I need to buy is this and a mess of pigtails?
http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Ir.../promax-ua.htm

Based on discussions here, I invested in the Rain Master Pro Max UA remote for a year-end tax deduction. I could not image servicing systems without it. I have several HOAs that are spread out and it saves another person on-site. Even on the small jobs it is great if you need to flush a pipe or adjust a head after replacing it. You do not need to walk back and forth to the controller to do either just stand there and push a couple of buttons. Do not buy but invest in the Pro Max UA.

jabbo
05-24-2012, 07:18 AM
I will say that I take really good care of my stuff so the water/dirt issue will probably be slim to none. As far as the range, well, I guess I will find that out. I don't think there's a place in my yard that will be over 200 yards so hopefully it will work everywhere. Besides I'm just a homeowner that likes to get out there and try different stuff and mess around with my irragation. I started last year changing all of my red nozzles to blue ones in the PGP's so this will help out greatly!!! I really don't mind the walking back and forth to the controller but the thing is when you only need the zone on for 2-3 minutes it takes longer to get there and back than it does to run the zone. :dizzy: I'm pretty sure you know exactly what I'm talking about!!! :laugh:

Jabbo- for the price and the sheer hours it will save you in labor I think you made a great decision.

Once you get sick of being out of range, your hear the call for the promax ua..

I know i did after a few years..

Also a few weeks ago me and AI inc were talking about the roam.

He suggested to put a condom on it so the dirt/ water doesnt get in there..

I just wrapped mine in electrical tape and called it a day....

Now Hunter is charging for their patch cords...eh.

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-24-2012, 07:28 AM
Well stated jc. The remote is a tool that changes your whole approach to service. I dreaded the condo, commercial, or apt calls until I got a remote. After the remote they became some of my best money makers. I wish I had been able to make the transition to BCG's business model. I would have been rewarded better for my speed up in service. As it was though it led to more parts sells and higher customer retention due to the perceived value from higher productivity. It was a big win even when I was paying over 2,000 for a remote.

jabbo
05-24-2012, 07:44 AM
Got a question...My controller is in my pump house(wood frame not finished on inside and vinyl siding on outside-no door). Would it be better to run the conduit/wiring hareness through to the outside or will it make that much difference??? I can do it either way with no trouble but if it's mounted inside I could leave the receiver mounted all the time...Oh and my galvanized well tank would only be about 3 ft. away from the receiver if its mounted on the inside.

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-24-2012, 08:28 AM
I'd put it on the outside myself to minimize walls for the signal but I don't know how weather resistant that receiver is either. Suggestion: try it out inside and if you have good reception than mount it there.

jbell36
05-24-2012, 08:40 AM
so is the Pro Max kind of a Universal remote that would work with hunter, rain bird, etc. controllers? since i mainly deal with hunter controllers, do you guys think that the IRC would be my best bet? i'm not very familiar with the remotes and what all is out there, only messed with the IRC...thanks

Wet_Boots
05-24-2012, 08:41 AM
the Hunter connector may be better off indoors, as I am beginning to encounter issues with poor/no connectivity in old connector installs outdoors.

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-24-2012, 09:13 AM
so is the Pro Max kind of a Universal remote that would work with hunter, rain bird, etc. controllers? since i mainly deal with hunter controllers, do you guys think that the IRC would be my best bet? i'm not very familiar with the remotes and what all is out there, only messed with the IRC...thanks

Yes the promax is a universal remote that can be used on any 24volt system. In a nutshell it woks like this. You get a transmitter and receiver. With the use of a pigtail wired into the individual zones and common feeding off of the 24volt power on the controller which is then plugged into the receiver you can service the system without going back and forth between the controller.

The pigtail is just extending the controller terminal out and converting it to pins that can be plugged into a receiver. It's really nothing more than a glorified extension cord.

If you service 90% or more controllers that are Hunters then the high end hunter remote is a good way to go and you can walk the rest of your systems. If you service 50% Hunter and 50% other brands then a universal remote such as the TRC www.irrigationremotes.com or RAINMASTER PROMAX would be a better way to go. Might still want to own the IRC.

jabbo
05-24-2012, 09:23 AM
Think I will try it on the inside first and if I have range trouble I'll move it...

the Hunter connector may be better off indoors, as I am beginning to encounter issues with poor/no connectivity in old connector installs outdoors.

Mike Leary
05-24-2012, 11:24 AM

Maybe they've improved the Hunter remote, but the last time I used one, I could have washed the motor home in the time it took to switch zones. :dizzy:

Wet_Boots
05-24-2012, 12:57 PM
For home use, and frame house construction, the Hunter ROAM is fine.

Autoflow
05-24-2012, 07:00 PM
I think I will invest in a Rainmaster once I get paid for a big project I am currently working on.
I recently picked up a big service job where there are 4 apartment complexes with 20-30 zones on each controller, and then another 6-7 controllers for parks and common areas. The controllers are a mixture of Rainbird ESP 24MC to Hunter ICC. I have spent a few days there so far and have wasted a lot of time walking backwards and forwards to the controllers. The remote would save me hours each day.

I have never had a remote before as I mainly install. Would it be worthwhile leaving the receivers on larger systems, or just go the pigtails? This place seem open to spending a bit of money to save money. Some of the controllers are on tall buildings so how does the Rainmaster go when not in direct line of sight? Say if I was on the other side of a building or if the controller is installed in the basement?

DanaMac
05-24-2012, 07:06 PM
I have spent a few days there so far and have wasted a lot of time walking backwards and forwards to the controllers. The remote would save me hours each day.

One thing I have been telling customers, is that without the remote and pigtail, they are paying me to stay in shape. They are paying me to walk back and forth to the controller multiple times while I burn calories, when they could save money and let me push a button.

Mike Leary
05-24-2012, 07:12 PM
The Rain Master remote has blown through every site I've ever had it on, big box to mega residences where the distance is great. Unless you're installing a RM clock (hope, hope), the pigtail will work fine. I'm not sure if Peter supplies the plastic hook-up for the pigtail, but it's handy to plug in the UA . Make sure there is a shelf or room on the top of the clock to place the UA on. :)

Weekend cut easymoney
05-24-2012, 07:23 PM
One thing I have been telling customers, is that without the remote and pigtail, they are paying me to stay in shape. They are paying me to walk back and forth to the controller multiple times while I burn calories, when they could save money and let me push a button.

on all our commercial properties we install a pigtail and use remotes--the pigtail only cost about $20-$30 (granted we are a maintenace company-mowing/shrubs also)...but it makes repairs 100 times easier-
we have some large 10 controller properties and without the remote it would be a killer
Also nice to be able to walk out with a customer and show them their problems-as well as turnign on a station that you just repaired or need to blow out the lines-

Autoflow
05-24-2012, 07:25 PM

That's what I told them and they seem happy for me come up with a price to make it all 'remote ready'. This place spends a lot on the irrigation there as it is about 20 years old with things failing all over the place.

The Rain Master remote has blown through every site I've ever had it on, big box to mega residences where the distance is great. Unless you're installing a RM clock (hope, hope), the pigtail will work fine. I'm not sure if Peter supplies the plastic hook-up for the pigtail, but it's handy to plug in the UA . Make sure there is a shelf or room on the top of the clock to place the UA on. :)

Good to know Mike.
I've never seen a Rainmaster clock over here. Actually I had never even heard of Rainmaster until I stumbled onto LS! Everything here is either Hunter, Rainbird, Toro, and then the odd Weathermatic and Orbit. There is still the odd Richdell around too but they get replaced when the slide switches fail. Maybe I should just replace the slide switches instead of replacing the whole thing :waving:

Most of the sports fields use these which seem to be similar to the Rainmaster.
http://www.jec.com.au/cloudmaster.html

Wet_Boots
05-24-2012, 07:31 PM
You can't replace the slide switches on a solid-state Richdel controller - they are built onto the circuit board.

Mike Leary
05-24-2012, 07:39 PM
That's what I told them and they seem happy for me come up with a price to make it all 'remote ready'. This place spends a lot on the irrigation there as it is about 20 years old with things failing all over the place.

I was finishing up a double RM-DX clock job where I had installed the permanent receivers and was talking with the wife about the remote capabilities. She looked at me and said, "If you ever tell my husband about this remote, he'll want one and my life will be miserable." Hubbie never knew. :)

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-24-2012, 08:18 PM
I think I will invest in a Rainmaster once I get paid for a big project I am currently working on.
I recently picked up a big service job where there are 4 apartment complexes with 20-30 zones on each controller, and then another 6-7 controllers for parks and common areas. The controllers are a mixture of Rainbird ESP 24MC to Hunter ICC. I have spent a few days there so far and have wasted a lot of time walking backwards and forwards to the controllers. The remote would save me hours each day.

I have never had a remote before as I mainly install. Would it be worthwhile leaving the receivers on larger systems, or just go the pigtails? This place seem open to spending a bit of money to save money. Some of the controllers are on tall buildings so how does the Rainmaster go when not in direct line of sight? Say if I was on the other side of a building or if the controller is installed in the basement?

Wonder what shipping is like to are friends down under? Does RainMaster sell there? Have you seen the Promax in the supply houses?

jbell36
05-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Good to know Mike.
I've never seen a Rainmaster clock over here. Actually I had never even heard of Rainmaster until I stumbled onto LS! Everything here is either Hunter, Rainbird, Toro, and then the odd Weathermatic and Orbit. There is still the odd Richdell around too but they get replaced when the slide switches fail. Maybe I should just replace the slide switches instead of replacing the whole thing :waving:

Most of the sports fields use these which seem to be similar to the Rainmaster.
http://www.jec.com.au/cloudmaster.html

me too..never heard of rainmaster...it's mostly hunter here followed by rainbird, then toro...toro seems like it was more popular in the 80's and 90's...i prefer hunter on most everything to keep it simple....unfortunately i do run into orbit at times, but not very often...i believe i ran into a weathermatic spray head today on our biggest commercial property, it had a brass nozzle...i'm not familiar with brass nozzles at all but it seemed like it had a better flow to it, looked pretty smooth, and it was brass so weedeaters won't eat into it...

jbell36
05-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Maybe they've improved the Hunter remote, but the last time I used one, I could have washed the motor home in the time it took to switch zones. :dizzy:

i've had great luck with the IRC actually, no complaints here...i will prob stick with that...other than the pro-c clocks we run into the oldschool toro's and the mechanical rainbird's, then obviously a few odd one's

Waterlogged
05-24-2012, 09:16 PM
Auto you will like getting a remote it will make your life easier and make you more money. In most cases I will charge to install the pigtails and leave them there. I try to store the pigtails in side the timer they will last longer out of the weather. I have been repairing five Apt. complexes for years with just one helper and a remote.

Autoflow
05-24-2012, 10:58 PM
Wonder what shipping is like to are friends down under? Does RainMaster sell there? Have you seen the Promax in the supply houses?
I've never seen Rainmaster here at all. I guess I could get hold of it through Toro Australia, but probably at a much higher price like most irrigation products. I think I will buy it direct from the U.S.
I will have a chat to you about pigtails once I order the remote in a month or two.

In most cases I will charge to install the pigtails and leave them there. I try to store the pigtails in side the timer they will last longer out of the weather.

Sounds like a plan.

Cheers guys.

BPS##
05-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Yes the promax is a universal remote that can be used on any 24volt system. In a nutshell it woks like this. You get a transmitter and receiver. With the use of a pigtail wired into the individual zones and common feeding off of the 24volt power on the controller which is then plugged into the receiver you can service the system without going back and forth between the controller.

The pigtail is just extending the controller terminal out and converting it to pins that can be plugged into a receiver. It's really nothing more than a glorified extension cord.

If you service 90% or more controllers that are Hunters then the high end hunter remote is a good way to go and you can walk the rest of your systems. If you service 50% Hunter and 50% other brands then a universal remote such as the TRC www.irrigationremotes.com or RAINMASTER PROMAX would be a better way to go. Might still want to own the IRC.

Never heard of or saw a rainmaster until this thread.

Only see Rainbird, Hunter, Toro and irritrol boxes.
Most of the irritrol boxes are junk by the time I see them and the customer goes with a new RB that cuts down on stress.

I'm going to have to check on that universal remote.

I've got large properties with RBs and hunters.
It'd sure be nice to have a remote for these.

jabbo
05-25-2012, 09:40 PM
Can't beat Sprinkler Warehouse!!!!! Ordered my remote on Wed. and got it today with free shipping.... Had it installed and working in 30 min. Found myself just walking around in the yard turning zones on and off.....:dancing:

Wet_Boots
05-25-2012, 09:44 PM
count the days until you need a new battery in it :)

jabbo
05-25-2012, 09:51 PM
Batteries are a dime a dozen Boots... Don't rain on my parade!!!!! LOL

BPS##
05-25-2012, 09:51 PM
Question

With the use of a pigtail wired into the individual zones

So if you have 20 some zones in a clock you have to wire into EACH one???
That seems time consuming.

CAPT Stream Rotar
05-25-2012, 09:57 PM
I left my RM in this ladies basement today....

Really almost lost it for the 10 min ride back to her house...wow...that was a tough 10 mins.

Mike Leary
05-25-2012, 09:59 PM

Piece of cake ,you only have to do it once, and the pigtail stays onboard. A magnifing glass glass is handy for a couple of the wires, as they look the same, Peter will help, but I seem to remember 12 & 22 are almost spot-on, color-wise. From then on, you'll love it. :)

Sprinkus
05-25-2012, 10:08 PM
I was so tired this morning that I tried to connect my TRC remote to an SRC controller. After messing with wires and remote clips for a few minutes I remembered that I had an IRC remote in the truck. :rolleyes:

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-25-2012, 10:43 PM
Question

It's not as time consuming as walking the property without a remote. One time investment and from then on you are benefiting from it. After a few installs you pick up some speed. I used a dewalt power screwdriver and set it at 7. Some controllers go really fast. Others are a total pia especially if they use speaker wire style connectors. RB ESPM is by far my favorite for pigtails. WM SL is my least favorite. Lawn genies are a piece of cake. As long as it has screw terminals. A few of the older toros that require an eyeglasses screwdriver are a pain. The original ESPs with the terminal going up and down in the back of the cabinet are a total pain. The RB mechanical RC is a pain especially if it has a master valve because of its design to allow it to be put in a series as slaves. Still it was worth the trouble on every one especially if I knew I was going to be back.

BPS##
03-31-2013, 09:11 AM
Maybe I missed it but is there a link to the pigtails or is this some thing you make yourself? Thanks.

I've been talking with the RB rep and he says they are working on a phone app that will allow at least some functions to be controlled from the phone for start ups, repairs/testing and blow outs.

Even if we had on/off, forward/back on the stations and the ability to change the zone time that would be real nice.

bcg
03-31-2013, 09:29 AM
Maybe I missed it but is there a link to the pigtails or is this some thing you make yourself?

www.remotepigtails.com

BPS##
03-31-2013, 09:33 AM
Thank you for the quick response!

RhettMan
03-31-2013, 11:25 AM
where the heck is FIMCO?

bcg
03-31-2013, 01:36 PM
where the heck is FIMCO?

remotepigtails@gmail.com, he doesn't associate with the riff raff here anymore. ;)

1idejim
03-31-2013, 01:52 PM
remotepigtails@gmail.com, he doesn't associate with the riff raff here anymore. ;)

Funny how the riffraff still sends people his way (read my post to Arturf)
Posted via Mobile Device

bcg
03-31-2013, 02:29 PM
Jim,

If you've talked to him since his departure, you know that there's more to it than that. He's really active on LinkedIn and always answers his phone and emails.