PDA

View Full Version : Turegreen/Chemlawn Getting into Mowing!!!

Greatdane612001
12-24-2002, 10:45 AM
I got my new yellow pages the other day and I was looking thought that lawn care area and I saw Chemlawns ad and and the bottom it said Lawn Mowing and landscape services I had to roll my eyes when I saw this:rolleyes: What do you guys think?

Scraper
12-24-2002, 10:47 AM
Not new here. They came out last season with those services. So much work around here, I don't see it as an issue. Not to mention their maintenance quality is as good as their fertilization quality.

crazygator
12-24-2002, 10:54 AM
Yeah, this is old news here as well. And I agree, it will just help us.

Funny this season to see the Chem Lawn milk trucks pulling a small trailer and mower. I just wonder how their workers liked it.

"Um Joe, we have added mowing to your service area's this year. Get the trailer and mower and have at it. But remember, only mow the area's that you have to, like we trained you to do with the spraying, but make it look like your doing the whole thing, ok?" :D

crawdad
12-24-2002, 10:59 AM
What brand of mower are they using?
Crawdad

crazygator
12-24-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by crawdad
What brand of mower are they using?
Crawdad

Crawdad,
So far from the ones I have seen, just about everything out there. At least the most popular ones for our region. Scag, Toro, Emark, Dixie Chopper are what I have seen, or what I could identify......hahaha

KenH
12-24-2002, 11:09 AM
Isnt Chemlawn just a franchise anyone can buy into?? I think some guys already have a maintenance business, and also a Chemlawn franchise.

Gene $immons
12-24-2002, 11:16 AM
One of my friends who has been in the business for 15 years, lost a major account which he had for years to chemlawn. They cut his price in half. Unreal.

crazygator
12-24-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Gene Simmons
One of my friends who has been in the business for 15 years, lost a major account which he had for years to chemlawn. They cut his price in half. Unreal.

I know this can happen, sorry for your friend. But remember who this is and their reputation. If the price was cut in half, I would bet the service and quality was as well. That means nothing to price shoppers, but everything to those who want good work.

And remember too, Chemlawn is trying to get into both sides, the maintenance and spraying. I bet this account is taking a bath with the fert program to make up for the loss on the cutting side.

Randy Scott
12-24-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Greatdane612001
I got my new yellow pages the other day and I was looking thought that lawn care area and I saw Chemlawns ad and and the bottom it said Lawn Mowing and landscape services I had to roll my eyes when I saw this:rolleyes: What do you guys think?

What do I think? O.k., you asked.

Well, they should do fine against you since you cannot even spell TRUEGREEN correct much less put a proper sentence together. I suggest not bashing someone else with the little "eyes rolling" smilie until you reach perfection yourself.

They're competition like any other service, who cares? You should feel this way against everyone that can potentially take work from you.

longviewlawncare
12-24-2002, 11:41 AM
My exmark dealer told me that Chemlawn has a national accoutn with exmark and that is the first mower the look at when they buy one.

geogunn
12-24-2002, 11:41 AM
here the UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE contracted with them last year to do $450K worth of mowing business and such. it was announced as a cost savings move for the university. so you would expect the grounds crew to get pink slips and save the cost, right? ARRRRNNNNNNKKK!!!:(

no one lost jobs and the university said they'd still be doing grounds work but just not the same work as TGCL.

and the word was that TGCL was gonna sub it all out anyway. I thought about going down there and checking it out but the money would have had to been real good for me to take the time from my bread and butter jobs.

and then I guess I coudda done it the scrub way. which is to just show up and if it looks like crap when you're done, you are still done.

but that aint my way.:)

GEO

crazygator
12-24-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Randy Scott
Well, they should do fine against you since you cannot even spell TRUEGREEN correct much less put a proper sentence together. I suggest not bashing someone else with the little "eyes rolling" smilie until you reach perfection yourself.

I dont understand this attack. Guess I am not up to perfection either huh dude?

This site is for information. Idea's, questions and the usual "Hey did you see this" kind of stuff. Why do some people continue to use it as a way to push others down? I dont know. Please lighten up a little bit everyone!

Gene $immons
12-24-2002, 11:42 AM
One thing I have noticed, is that customers want a lawn service that can do it all, spraying fertilizing etc. Nothing against chemlawn. They are probably trying to do the same thing by offering mowing. I rarely see them around as it is, there are much bigger (local) lco's around here.

bob
12-24-2002, 11:46 AM
I wouldn't worry to much about Chemlawn in the mowing business. They pretty much have made a negative reputation in the chemical side of their work. My good friend is the commercial sales manager of my local Chemlawn branch. I used them 3 years ago to do treatments on a large property that I maintain. Out of seven visits, they only got one right. They kept skipping the same areas. Then ,when they aerated and seeded, they got lots of grass seed in all the mulch beds that I maintain. Grass was growing everywhere. That was the last straw. I now use Lawn Doctor and they get it right every time.

f350
12-24-2002, 12:14 PM
chemlawn is not a franchise, it's a billion dollar company.. parent company is service master. i know of one office that was franchised out and it was in arizona.

Randy Scott
12-24-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by crazygator
I dont understand this attack. Guess I am not up to perfection either huh dude?

This site is for information. Idea's, questions and the usual "Hey did you see this" kind of stuff. Why do some people continue to use it as a way to push others down? I dont know. Please lighten up a little bit everyone!

You mean the same way that Greatdane was pushing Truegreen down? It's o.k. for him to post about them with a rolling the eyes smilie? That must mean that he is aware of the problems Truegreen has and he is suggesting their mowing may be of poor quality as some of their applicators. And the responders suggesting their quality of work is sub-par also. Is that not pushing Truegreen down also?
We all know about Truegreen. It's old news. If you want to come onto a public forum and take shots at another service provider you better dang well be better than they are and have proof. What's to make me believe that someone on here, and that's nobody singled out, that can't respond without simple spelling and sentence structure has the ability to run a professional business and compete with others. Simple one word spelling errors happen, no doubt, but what's to make me think that one's contracts or proposals aren't given to prospective customers in this same poorly written fashion. Yet one may complain they don't get enough work or lost a bid to so and so and is quick to call them lowballers or whatever excuse they want to make up because in fact "they" are the problem.

I don't want to get on anybody here, but how you conduct yourself here, whether it be by what you say, or how you say it, or how you spell it, all paints the picture of how you most likely conduct yourself with customers. Yes, I have heard of spellcheck, but does everybody know how to use it on their computer? Does everybody have computer generated proposal sheets and estimates, or are they handwritten on basic bid sheets? I think it is foolish to suggest something negative about someone else when you have your own faults.
God knows I'm not perfect, but I think I have the ability to look and act professional to others. That starts with simple grammar and sentence structure. I understand this is a place to get together and chat, but think about how you may appear to others sometime. If you don't want to agree with me that's fine, that's not my problem.

Let the Truegreen stuff go! It seems they are the scapegoat for alot of people. We all have our imperfections that need fine tuning, focus on them. Truegreen will probably make more money than all of us put together.

On that sour note, I hope you all enjoy your Holidays and hope I haven't pi$$ed too many people off. :)

Runner
12-24-2002, 12:27 PM
I'm not really going to get into this, but before the first stones are cast, let us all be aware that this company is NOT marketed as TRUEGREEN. The spelling is Tru-green. Let's be easy on each other over these holidays, o.k.?

crazygator
12-24-2002, 12:51 PM
Randy,
Get something straight, If I post something here it is from fact. I have seen the Tru-Green guys running over lawns. Missing most of the yard. I have had customers with their service, and how they ruin lawns is terrible. If that offends you then I am trully sorry. But, they do have a bad reputation.

Now they add the mowing aspect to their line up. What are we to expect from them when the main line business isnt all its cracked up to be?

Fact is they have a very high customer turn over. Why is that? Because they do not do the job in a professional manner. Most of the guys running trucks have no clue as to what they are spraying, nor at what rate. Plus around here they have a habit of spraying the wrong stuff, killing your lawn, then trying to back pedal to fix it without looking to bad.

Its all just true information, no slamming nor any bashing!

HarryD
12-24-2002, 01:02 PM
Let the Truegreen stuff go! It seems they are the scapegoat for alot of people. We all have our imperfections that need fine tuning, focus on them. Truegreen will probably make more money than all of us put together

thats because there not chemlawn there Scamlawn

if they used granular fert I would not have a problem with Tru-green

Brickman
12-24-2002, 02:31 PM
As a mow, trim, blow and go service I don't see where most LCO have much to worry about. Kinda like Brickman Group isn't going to hurt most of the small guys real bad. As long as you do a great service and keep the customers happy you should be able to stay busy.
For the most part I don't think Chemlawn is going to dig into the profits of most LCO here, and if they do take a customer from you, I doubt it will be long until that customer comes back to you. And at time you can raise the price to make money off of them.

TaylorLawn
12-24-2002, 03:14 PM
Alot is not a word in the dictionary either.

Sorry.

crawdad
12-24-2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by TaylorLawn
Alot is not a word in the dictionary either.

Sorry.
:laugh:
Good one Taylor. Hey, neither is pi$$ed. It's not a word, it's a way to break the rules. I sometimes get picky with spelling, but folks, this is not a proposal, this is not a contract, this is a web forum. If someone says Truegreen, or Turegreen, I know they meant "Tru-Green."
Crawdad

richard coffman
12-24-2002, 04:09 PM
:rolleyes:
I'm not worried about chemlawn here in utah. There reputation isn't the best, and from what i understand, there service and billing isn't so great either. every new customer i get that's from chemlawn have got a story or to to tell. you all know how it is. if a customer likes you, they will tell 7 of there friends, but if they are not happy, they will tell 21 of there friends. it's all about word of mouth, and there's arn't up to par. I know I'm competition to them, but actions speak louder than words.
my 2 cents.

Richard coffman/owner:cool:

J&R
12-24-2002, 04:16 PM
iF chemlawn goes after any of my accounts then they will catch%%%%%%** from me

gogetter
12-24-2002, 04:35 PM
Um, Randy....... do you work for "Turegreen"? LOL! Come on, you can tell us. :D

Just messing with ya. Merry X-Mas all!

Greatdane612001
12-24-2002, 06:52 PM
The only reason why i started this thread was because it was the 1st time I saw it, I didn't know that chem-lawn was mowing everywere else sorry guys! O and by the way I see people all the time post threads on here and sometimes they don't have the best spelling or correct english so get off my back alright!

f350
12-24-2002, 07:13 PM
lack of information will kill ya!!!! your in the industry, you would figure you had a clue what was going on..

Greatdane612001
12-24-2002, 07:19 PM
Ok! every since i've been going to this web site there has not been one thing good said about tru-green/chemlawn So when I saw That they were starting to mow in my area that's why i rolled my eyes because they don't have a good reputation in my area...

JML
12-24-2002, 07:30 PM
Randy,

about your comment on "that can't respond without simple spelling and sentence structure has the ability to run a professional business and compete with others. Simple one word spelling errors happen, no doubt, but what's to make me think that one's contracts or proposals aren't given to prospective customers in this same poorly written fashion"

Many very Succesful business owners I know can barely speak or write English. My grandfather came to this country in the early 1900's not being able to speak or write English, he built up the family construction company, it is one of the largest in our state, and is valued at $350 million dollars, so I must object to your quote about running a business with bad gramar..

MikeLT1Z28
12-24-2002, 09:26 PM
yep, they have been marketing with home cheapo, well, maybe i better not call it that, all this spelling and grammer PC business around here. they do a yard next to one of my customers with 3 guys, one mows with about a 48 exmark TT while the other two trim, edge and blow. they do about as good as they do when it comes to spraying. i've cut with my exmark and my walker and their quality just isn't there when comparing the two. thats pretty bad considering i used an almost identical mower.

nu83
12-24-2002, 11:04 PM
JML, I couldn't agree with you more. Unless you are a secretary or an elementry school teacher your career won't depend on spelling.

rvsuper
12-25-2002, 01:04 AM
I most definatly do not have to worry about Tru-Green here. The nearest one I believe, is in Sioux City, IA, about an hour from here. I don't think they would be comming up here just to mow someones lawn. Besides, I've only seen them in this town once anyhow.

KirbysLawn
12-25-2002, 02:54 AM
Ok, they are coming....make sure your uniforms are clean and pressed, hats have your company logo on front and match your shirts and pants. Make sure your trucks are clean, trailers washed and lettered, and your licenses are up to date and shown as required by state law. Have you insurance information avalable and have professioanlly printed cards, letterhead, and invoices. (You have all this right?)

When you complete a job ensure that you leave a sign or flyer on the door noting what services were performed. Bill a fair price and invoice promply.

IMPORTANT: When applications are made wear gloves and face protection. When applying granulars make sure you clean off paved areas when complete (they don't). IF you do these few things you should not have to worry about TRUEGREEN, Tru-Green, Chemlawn, or whatever we are calling them this week.

crazygator
12-25-2002, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by KirbysLawn
or whatever we are calling them this week.

Hey Kirby,

I dont call them any week! :D :angel:

Shuter
12-25-2002, 11:46 AM
In my area, an Exec of Chem lawn has his summer house. For two years i did all the lawn maintenance and landscaping for the property. Last year they expanded into the area for maintenance in a large condo complex ( 800 units ). I lost the account for his house because the condo crew does it. Losing that account to Chem lawn did not make or break me. There is plenty of work out there not to be worring about a major corp taking over. Many property owners like the little to do the work.

Dennis E.
12-25-2002, 12:21 PM
Worried? Not a bit.
Seen the crews working at some apt.complexes.....shoddy work.
Crews are ALL hispanic and from what I have heard the turnover is extremely high.
Equipment is all ragged out. Trucks look like they have seen better days.
They already closed up a facility in So. Tampa that they had.
IMO they'll get business based on doing some cut-throat biz and some because of the name.
Will they last?
Doubt it.

Turf Cutters
12-25-2002, 01:26 PM
Hey Greatdane, Chemlawn/Trugreen have been mowing in the KC area for the past two years. Most of the mowing is subed out. I lost a comercial accout to them when they first started but got it right back because of poor service.

Detailed LawnService
12-25-2002, 02:24 PM
I was at my bank one day, they were out turning the mulch beds that were all frozen, they acted like they were doing a good job. It was some of the worst work i have ever seen.
Huge chunks of mulch everywhere even in the turf areas.

Expert Lawns
12-25-2002, 03:12 PM
Just a few things to comment on.....

1. TGCL doesn't have a good rep in this town either. or at least with my customers. i don't do fert, so they are always asking for referals (cuz TGCL wasn't to their satisfaction)

2. This isn't an english and grammar contest. if you get your point across, good enough for me.;)

3. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

4. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!:D

boohoo
12-25-2002, 09:26 PM
Let me set the record straight.
Trugreen Landcare is part of service master. They also grossed around 980 million last year ...just slightly less than Trugreen Chemlawn. Landcare service mostly commercial sites but they recently moved into "Home Landscaping". They have around 38 H.L branches so I am told. Heres a tip!!!! Send the commercial sales rep at Chemlawn donuts everyday !!!!. Chemlawn sub out so much lawnmowing work per branch across the nation it is not funny. Youve got corporations like "Made in China Mart" sucking the lifeblood out of small town America....... Trugreen have done wonders for the landscape Industry. If it is so easy try keeping 15000 customers happy (a typical Chemlawn Branch) when half of them havent watered all year and expect there lawn to look like Augusta. Credit where credits due. Merry Xmas.
Your best friend needs to be the Commercial Sales Rep. at your local Tugreen Chemlawn........best Xmas present you will ever get.

Runner
12-26-2002, 12:34 AM
They did it here in the Genesee County area for a minute back in the mid '80's. THey didn't last, and the appearance of their work and oerformance explains why. It sounds like it's just more of the same, except now they get to use LAzers instaed of the big Toro Groundsmasters that they were using. It doesn't matter what they use. If the operators don't know what they are doing, it's all the same. SAme gpes for management. Just like someone above said. Two guys trimming to keep up with a 48" walkbehind. HelLO-O!!!

b.j.haynes
12-27-2002, 09:37 PM
As a ex employee, (2001) I can say that most of you are right about TruGreen, but I will say that TruGreen has taught me a great deal. They are the reason I want to start my own lawn care business. I left because I got a good job as a school janitor, but my desire is to be a lawn care big shot. This job is nice and secure. however, IT IS NOT FULLFILLING. Now back to Trugreen. Yes, their are guys who will, lets just say hurry a bit. Thats because we didn't get paid by the hour. We got paid on commission, but for me I did not make much money because I did the job right. For the first time in my life I had a job that made me feel I was somebody. TruGreen Chemlawn gave me the opportunity to be a professional in the lawn care business. As for some of you who talk bad about TruGreen, I can equally say bad things about other lawn care companies. Example: operating a ztr on a lawn after a heavy rain, or cutting with dull blades,and lets not forget scalping. I'm not trying discredit anybody on here but for some of you to say that all TruGreen technicians are horrible is not true. Believe me, you do not have anything to worry about.