PDA

View Full Version : Putting drip on rotor/spray zone

CAPT Stream Rotar
05-23-2012, 10:46 PM
I cant stand seeing it/doing it..

Nothing worse than not matching PR.

Sometimes its just not in the budget..

Anyone here have a good understanding of this hack practice?

Meaning, can you make it so the turf/other plants don't drown while getting all bases covered?

greenmonster304
05-23-2012, 10:49 PM
I don't think it is the best idea but sometimes it's the only option for like you said "budget".
Posted via Mobile Device

CAPT Stream Rotar
05-23-2012, 10:51 PM
Gm- sadly some of our landscapers just don't get it.. Hey why not its just a few feet..

and in a few years your going to see the foliar disease/ brown patch or red thread cause of it..

mrsteve
05-23-2012, 10:59 PM
Right or wrong I had to do one a few weeks ago. Used the Rain Bird filter/regulator deal that looks like a spray body. Fed from two outlets with about 300' of hose. When I looked up the precipitation rate it came out to be 1.44in/hr for the .09 12" which seemed close to the spray zone. It's the first one I've done this way all the others have been the correct way. Rain Bird kit (valve,filter & regulator) on it's own station. Some with the netafim auto flush valve at the end.

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-23-2012, 11:29 PM
I've done it as well. Usually I try to get a couple of spray heads far enough out to avoid future root nightmares spraying in. Otherwise I do it with adjustable bubblers and do a best guess as to it's adjustment.

jvanvliet
05-24-2012, 07:56 AM
How hacked do you want it to be?

We've used Rainbird XFS drip line for sub-surface installations; the XFD for planting beds and the 1/4" landscape dripline for hacking. 1/4" will go subsurface but the emitters will clog in about 18 months, then the lines will need to be flushed out.

I'd use the XFS for sub-surface irrigating of turf (primarily Bermuda); but It's not a cheap installation. You can match the precipitation rates with the chart in the link below.

The jury is still out on the XFS. We've experienced no issues with root intrusion yet; I suspect the emitter check valves will eventually react to whatever dissolved solids are in the supply, such as calcium or lime.

It's not our bread and butter so...

XFS DRIPLINE (http://rainbird.com/documents/drip/man_XFS_Design-Installation-MaintenanceGuide.pdf)

Wet_Boots
05-24-2012, 08:55 AM
if you can add drip by way of oversized emitters, then you get a better match of watering

Kiril
05-24-2012, 10:02 AM
I cant stand seeing it/doing it..

Nothing worse than not matching PR.

Sometimes its just not in the budget..

Anyone here have a good understanding of this hack practice?

Meaning, can you make it so the turf/other plants don't drown while getting all bases covered?

Don't say I ain't never done nothing for ya.

jvanvliet
05-24-2012, 10:53 AM
if you can add drip by way of oversized emitters, then you get a better match of watering

You shouldn't need as much since there is no evaporation or loss due to wind. When I get back to the office I'll post which emitter tube we used. Right now I'm in my truck watching the boys sloshing around the rain complaining :-)
Posted via Mobile Device