PDA

View Full Version : pinestraw pricing

rehfis
12-25-2002, 12:59 PM
I just did a pinstraw job spreading 50 bails of pinestraw. Most of it was around plants and shrubs. I was curious to see how other people go about charging for pinestraw installation.

williamslawn
12-26-2002, 07:26 AM
We charge per bale. $6/per bale

cutting edge
12-26-2002, 03:21 PM
I charge $4.75 per bale.

Where in GA are you?

Derek

rehfis
12-27-2002, 03:06 AM
the price that you posted, is that with the cost of the pinestraw or is that just the labor charge? i am located in the atlanta metro area. roswell marietta alpharetta. north fulton and cobb

cutting edge
12-27-2002, 09:36 AM
$4.75 includes the price of the straw.

How did you price your job?

Derek

baddboygeorge
12-27-2002, 03:02 PM
always double the price if not triple !!

devildog
12-27-2002, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by baddboygeorge
always double the price if not triple !! [U]....ditto

jkelton
12-27-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by baddboygeorge
always double the price if not triple !!

I never have understood why some landscapers price this service in that manner - I know many people price mulch in the same fashion. If you know how long it will take you to do the job per man-hour, multiply your $/hr rate by the number of man-hours, add in cost of picking up the material, add any other miscellaneous costs, and add in the cost of the material. Then, divide this number by the number of bales required to get the actual price per bale. I suppose the multiplier approach to the cost of the material can be a safe measure (not to say that you actually make any money by taking this approach). My advice is to do the math to make sure you are making the profit that you need, even if you have to guesstimate the man-hours required. By taking this approach, eventually you will have a history report that you can use to accurately price a job. I promise you will not regret it.

Sorry if most of you guys already do this - I just see many people lose a lot of money in my area by not doing the math, and this eventually hurts the whole industry.

cutting edge
12-27-2002, 08:21 PM
"always double the price if not triple !!"

If I doubled the price then I would be charging less than what I am now.

If I tripled the price then I would be charging more than my market will bear.

In addition to what jkelton says I would try to find out what the going rates are in your area.

Derek

goose
12-28-2002, 06:38 PM
We charge $9.00 per bale. Most people we sell to can get the same size bale around here for about $4.90 including tax. Lowes and home depot are cheaper but the bale is smaller. I can buy it by the trailer load so our price is usually around $2.83 a bale with delivery included.

Derrick Roberts
12-30-2002, 12:07 AM
I agree with the method jkelton uses. If you are going to use your own employees to install, I would use his method. But, what I do is sub out to pine straw installers who bale, deliver and apply the pine straw for $4.25 per bale. I in turn charge the customer $6.00 per bale. For example: 100 bales delivered and applied time $6.00 per makes me $175.00, and I did not touch it!!

I am located in the west metro area of Atlanta, email if you would like the number of my installer.

Good Luck!!

Derrick

jkelton
12-30-2002, 09:48 AM
Derrick has the right idea! I am often subbed out to other landscapers to blow their mulch in (pine straw is the only thing I do not do). I often compare subbing out work to home building - you rarely see one company having all the labor available to build a home. You have separate companies to do electricity, roofing, framing, siding, etc.. You see this in industry also - Ford makes very little of the actual components that goes into their trucks. Although they may design the components, they (along with all other manufacturers) found out long ago that it is far cheaper for them to "sub" the manufacturing work out, rather than having all the machinery and manpower available to build a complete vehicle. I see the largest issue in creating this type of atmosphere in our industry is finding someone you can trust, but eventually it will get here.

goose
12-31-2002, 05:21 PM
I like that method also , but I spend $283 on a hundred bales and $70 in labor . Then charge the customer $9.00 and make $547 and not touch it.

TaylorLawn
01-02-2003, 09:30 PM
Purchase price for me is 2.80 per bale, charge $4 to $7 depending on the customer, a one time install who is not a regular yearly maintenance client it is $7 per bale, applied. A regular yearly client I will only charge $4 to $5 per bale, but keep in mind I am also getting the normal price of the maintenance on the yard, even in the off season......It just seems to be good business.........

A client recently asked how much we would charge to apply some pine straw for him, he would be supplying the straw.....I politely asked him where he might be purchasing the bales, he in turn tells me and I already know they charge more than $6.00 a bale, (not delivered). I then told him I would supply and apply the straw for 6.25 a bale....needless to say that is one happy customer now, and I even made a $3.00+ profit per bale.....everyone is happy except maybe the local nursery, sorry DD, Eric

devildog
01-03-2003, 07:33 AM
That's all right, I NEVER leave money on the table, with regards... devildog

Ken's Lawn Service
01-08-2003, 01:50 AM
Hey all of Georgia (around ATL) lawn guys, there is a man in Palmetto that will sell pine straw at $1 a bale. I will go check it out for myself and let you all know. If you would like you can send me your email address and I will mnake sure you get the info. There are other guys that I know that have already bought huge quanities from him so I know that deal is there to be had.

Keep posted!!

Garth Sweet
01-08-2003, 12:08 PM
We charge $8.00 per bale for delivery and spreading. This is a service that is difficult for most customers to do themselves because the amount of needles that are used and the time that it takes to spread them. Don't give needles away, they are a valuable product that will help a company make profit.

heather
01-11-2003, 12:26 AM
we charge $7 a bale. We only use long leaf straw. I can't hardly give away slash straw in my area. Lowes sells slash and there trailer sits around for months. I have a few clients who require large amounts(1200)at a time.I give those clients a price break.