PDA

View Full Version : Paver driveway over culvert

Mr. Midwest
05-24-2012, 05:28 PM
I recently went and looked at a job and the customer is wanting to do a paver driveway. which will be about 1300 sq. ft. They live on a corner lot and one concern is that the drive will be going from one side to the other. There will have to be 2 culverts put in to cross the ditches. Imagine a right angle, on the outside of the angle is street and inside the angle is lawn. I need to find a way to retain by base and pavers over top of the culvert. My first thought was to just pour a apporach over the culvert and pave the rest. But i do not want to get a concrete guy involved if i dont have to because he will flash his lower priced concrete. Do you guys have any recommendations on this?

alldayrj
05-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Everyone knows concrete is cheaper than pavers so that shouldnt be an issue. I think a concrete " bridge" is a good idea but we don't hve culverts out here so maybe some more rural contractors will know better.
Posted via Mobile Device

Birchwood
05-24-2012, 11:21 PM
concrete apron is a good idea, I find alot of the time there isn't enough clearence over the top to establish a good base. If you call a concrete guy and tell him what you want he never has to even meet the customer.

Dr.NewEarth
05-24-2012, 11:51 PM
I just ran into a scenario where a home owner had a contractor widen a driveway and parking area larger than what the cities bylaws will allow.

zedosix
05-25-2012, 12:00 AM
I think pavers are ideal over a culvert, what you need to do is do a band over top in a different paver stone or something. Work with it instead of against it, use some imagination. Concrete will bust up with the frost and look horrible in no time, unless of course you don't get frost in your area.

SVA_Concrete
05-25-2012, 06:31 PM
But i do not want to get a concrete guy involved if i dont have to because he will flash his lower priced concrete.

haha, i love this line..... them concrete guys are like the devil i tell ya flashin' them low prices.

This concrete guy doesn't care if the prospective customer chooses concrete pavers, or regular concrete or stamped concrete.

cause this concrete guy makes a profit on all of the above.