PDA

View Full Version : Tire Changing Tool

ed2hess
05-24-2012, 10:55 PM
Has anyone used this tool for changing trailer tires and mower tires.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_18863_18863

fatboynormmie
05-25-2012, 12:19 AM
Yes it works awesome for a manual unit.I got mine from Harbor Freight but it looks exactly the same.You will need to mount it to something so it is rigid.I mounted mine to a large thick piece of steel but could be lagged to the floor.I would also pick up some flat tire bars for aiding on mounting tires and getting the tire started on the rim.

Lawn Pawn
05-26-2012, 06:34 PM
Bought same unit from a local Farm and Barn store for about $60 on sale. Mount it in middle of garage floor.... three, 3/4 bolts to anchors in floor... when I use it.
Only used it once or twice but for the price it's great.

The low price reflects the crappy workmanship... on mine anyway??? Their breaker/mounting bar required much grinding and smoothing as to make it suitable... center hold down required much grinding and hammering to make the threads work smooth enough to work by hand.

Did other welding and modifications as well to it. For the money it's fine if you want to deal with the rough edges....crappy welds and misalignments.

Perchance I just got a bad one???

ed2hess
05-26-2012, 10:53 PM
Yes it works awesome for a manual unit.I got mine from Harbor Freight but it looks exactly the same.You will need to mount it to something so it is rigid.I mounted mine to a large thick piece of steel but could be lagged to the floor.I would also pick up some flat tire bars for aiding on mounting tires and getting the tire started on the rim.

Thank for feedback. The only problem with one of these is the room it takes and I don't have any to spare. Think I will mount it outside somewhere.

larryinalabama
05-26-2012, 11:07 PM
Youll kill your self trying to mount car and truck tires.

ed2hess
05-27-2012, 04:48 PM

Unfortunately tires are fast coming a major expense for our business. I bet I have over 200 tires on the ground. Recently I was looking at 22 tires to be replaced at some point that are front tires on WB. Now if you use scag flat free I am looking at over $1400 of tires.

JB1
05-27-2012, 04:56 PM
i bought one like this a few years ago and has worked great.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-TC221-Tire-Changer

fatboynormmie
05-27-2012, 06:46 PM

Never had a problem with any car tire.There are some tricks to making your life easier while mounting .I alway's lube the beads with very soapy water mixture and can push the first bead on the rim by hand.Start the top bead on one side so it's under the rim then on the opposite side of bead place the flat spoons in between rim and tire.Then where the bead is already started I push the tire down and into the middle of the rim.Then work the spoons and stretch the bead over the rim.I could probably dismount and remount a tire in the time it took me to type this.

ed2hess if the unit is left outside permanently you might want to cover it up.Left to the elements I don't know long it will last before it self destructs .

ed2hess
05-27-2012, 11:28 PM
Never had a problem with any car tire.There are some tricks to making your life easier while mounting .I alway's lube the beads with very soapy water mixture and can push the first bead on the rim by hand.Start the top bead on one side so it's under the rim then on the opposite side of bead place the flat spoons in between rim and tire.Then where the bead is already started I push the tire down and into the middle of the rim.Then work the spoons and stretch the bead over the rim.I could probably dismount and remount a tire in the time it took me to type this.

ed2hess if the unit is left outside permanently you might want to cover it up.Left to the elements I don't know long it will last before it self destructs .
Try some of this grease and you won't ever use soapy water again:laugh: Local mower shop started handling tires and put me on to this.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/tools/vehicle-maintenance/tire-changers/murphys-tire-and-tube-mounting-compound-25lbs?utm_source=google_pr&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Tire-Changers-google_pr&infoParam.campaignId=T9F