PDA

View Full Version : Trimmer and blower racks

Outlawn
05-25-2012, 12:49 AM
Ok, I have searched for good trimmer racks at decent prices. I have found 3-trimmer racks from $96 all the way into the $220 range. I would like to keep it in the $120-150 range, but I really need to get everything but the mowers off the floor of the trailer.
I looked at one from Trinity Iron Images that seems to fit the bill at $137 shipped. http://trinityironimages.net/lockable-trimmer-edger-racks.html I like it because it locks all three trimmers with one lock. It also looks to be build fairly well.
What do ya'll think? I don't have a landscape box yet, but I'm working on that.

RELIABLELAWNMAN
05-25-2012, 09:58 PM
Outlawn,
I ordered the Trinity enclosed rack but am going to install on the outside. I will either weld the mounting bolt or install a lock on the mounting bracket. In the truck and trailer forum is a photo with the brackets on the dump box where the racks will be mounted. Hope this helps.
David

BJWLAWNCARE
05-26-2012, 09:02 PM
Try the ones that J-thomas sells. I have them over ten years. I love them.

RELIABLELAWNMAN
05-27-2012, 11:51 PM
Outlawn,
Here are some pics of the racks installed on my trailer. The only problem that I had was the handle grip for the new Echo stick edger was a little fat. Had to trim the plastic protector down. Put the padlock on the top to slow someone down if trying to steal the units. Bolts could also be welded. Hope this helps.

Outlawn
05-29-2012, 04:29 PM
Nice job on the installation! Very clean.

Does the rack seem like it is a good quality piece? It looks like it is, but
I would like a first hand, unbiased opinion. I will be ordering the 52" piece for open trailers that reaches all the way to the floor. I just wanna make sure that I'm buying a quality piece, unlike some of the crap I have seen and read about. Also, how is the ease of use and access? Again, great job on the install and thanks for the information/pics.

RELIABLELAWNMAN
06-01-2012, 12:08 AM
Outlawn,
I believe for the price, it is a very decent system. I had a little trouble with an Echo stick edger because the handle was a little to wide to slide down into the holder and then swing the locking pins into position. I e-mailed Jason at Trinity and he advised me to gently pull the holder pin outward.

Swampy
06-01-2012, 12:29 AM
I picked up the rack'em racks from Ebay. It holds 3 trimers, a blower, spool of string, and a backpack sprayer/5 gal water jug. First year using it, and so far so good. The locks it came with suck though but a for pack of master locks from menards and its holding up so far.

PlantscapeSolutions
06-02-2012, 11:17 PM
Buy the Green Touch Extreme Series rack and you will realize all other racks just plain suck. The second best rack is Trimmer Trap but it's a distant second. Time is money and the Extreme Series will allow your guys to remove or rack the trimmers easily 75% quicker then any others. It is also the only rack that will not allow trimmers to rotate and twist the grips.

Green Touch makes other products as well but the Extreme Series is the only one that is a home run.

tebletlawns
06-06-2012, 06:54 PM
I just upgraded to the trimmer trap racks a couple weeks ago and don't see how I ever lived without them. Locks all the trimmers at once, impossible to leave them unsecured. And the trimmers don't soon either. Don't need to by extra supports like with the extreme racks
Posted via Mobile Device

tebletlawns
06-06-2012, 06:55 PM
Trimmers don't *spin*
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
06-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Trimmers don't *spin*
Posted via Mobile Device

The TrimmerTrap will end up twisting up the hand grips on your string trimmers. Buy extra springs now because they will wear our about once a year. In the time it takes to get one trimmer out of the TrimmerTrap you can get several out of the Extreme Series.

The TrimmerTrap is OK but the Extreme series is light years ahead of it. Once you've owned both like I have you'll know what I'm talking about.

tebletlawns
06-06-2012, 08:19 PM
I don't know about the trimmer handles twisting because the top pinches it in place so it can't/won't spin and it literally takes less than 3 seconds to unload a trimmer. Walk up, lift, remove. If you can really get out several in less than 3 seconds I would like to know what you are eating for breakfast because I need some. from the videos it looks like it is a 3 or 4 step process top remove a trimmer from the extreme racks. Do you have to latch the extreme rack or do the automatically latch like the trimmer trap does.
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
06-06-2012, 08:42 PM
I don't know about the trimmer handles twisting because the top pinches it in place so it can't/won't spin and it literally takes less than 3 seconds to unload a trimmer. Walk up, lift, remove. If you can really get out several in less than 3 seconds I would like to know what you are eating for breakfast because I need some. from the videos it looks like it is a 3 or 4 step process top remove a trimmer from the extreme racks. Do you have to latch the extreme rack or do the automatically latch like the trimmer trap does.
Posted via Mobile Device

Like I said I've owned both and speak from experience. I'm not speculating about anything. Unless you've locked the rack all you have to do is push one lever/button and out it comes. You can actually remove or replace a trimmer with one hand if you wanted to.

Pulling the knob out, sliding up the guillotine, pulling out the power head, then lowering it down at an angle to get the other end free gets old fast. With the Extreme Series the trimmers go straight in and straight out with pretty much a quick touch of a button/lever.

I wish I had know how much better the Extreme Series was years ago so I wouldn't have wasted years messing with the archaic Trimmer Trap to begin with. I challenge you to find even a single person like myself who has owned both who likes the clunky TrimmerTrap better.

Green Touch also makes a nice spool holder with built in line cutter that is better then the TrimmerTrap version. The other Green Touch products I'm not a fan of at all.

tebletlawns
06-06-2012, 09:27 PM
That's fine, I love my trimmer trap and look forward to many years of use from them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Poorboy's landscaping
06-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Does anyone know the lawn site discount code for the xtreme trimmer rack? Going to order mine tonight if I can.
Posted via Mobile Device

mwlawns
06-11-2012, 01:27 PM
I use Buyers racks and have no complaints! Just my opinion though

PlantscapeSolutions
06-11-2012, 08:28 PM
I use Buyers racks and have no complaints! Just my opinion though

Try the Extreme and you'll be amazed at how much easier and faster it is to use. Time is money and if your using another rack your wasting money. The Extreme is the only rack that does not clamp of the hand grip and twist it. Green Touch goes to many of the trade shows and you can see their rack for your self.

Outlawn
06-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Just ordered a Trinity Iron Images 3 position trimmer rack. I looked at the Green Touch ones, and after weighing the pro's and con's, I decided on the Trinity one. $137 shipped compared to $2xx for the Xtreme was a big part of it. As for the ease and speed of use, I have no doubt that the Xtreme is a little bit quicker. However, I have 14 accounts and only do 4-5 a day max. Sometimes only a couple because it's a part-time side business (I'm a firefighter/paramedic). If I did this full-time as my sole income, then I probably would have gone with the Xtreme. But I feel that the Trinity will suit me well for what I do.

Thanks for all the input! I hope this info will be helpful to others, as well.

mwlawns
06-12-2012, 11:39 AM
Try the Extreme and you'll be amazed at how much easier and faster it is to use. Time is money and if your using another rack your wasting money. The Extreme is the only rack that does not clamp of the hand grip and twist it. Green Touch goes to many of the trade shows and you can see their rack for your self.

I dont see how that is possible since my trimmers dont spin! So as for twisting the grips, I dont see how the extreme is the ONLY rack that does not do this

PlantscapeSolutions
06-12-2012, 12:47 PM
I dont see how that is possible since my trimmers dont spin! So as for twisting the grips, I dont see how the extreme is the ONLY rack that does not do this

Most all rack hold onto the shaft and they pinch on the grip as the other contact point. TrimmerTrap claimed the grips would not spin but they still did. Most all racks use a grip clamp to secure the trimmers. If you have you trimmer mounted on the front of the trailer the problem is even worse because as the trailer speed up and slows down the inertia causes the trimmers to rotate back and forth a little.

The Extreme rack uses the blocks on the shaft to fully secure the trimmers with out even touching the grips. I didn't buy the Extreme rack the first go round because I thought my guys would complain about the blocks on the shafts. The second go round I bought the Extreme and realized it is light years better then all the other archaic rack designs.

If your like me and have a three man crew with two guys doing the string trimming the time savings can add up. Lets say at each stop I save even 30 second. I take that that 30 seconds X about 65 clients X 35 mows per year. That's about 19 hours a year less my guys are getting paid OT to work. Once I factor in taxes and all my overhead expenses the Extreme easily saved me $380 a year. That time really adds up over the course of a year.

A lot of people do not analyze all the small amounts of time they are wasting. If your business minded wasted time should be an obvious problem but I think many guys on here are not and run wasteful inefficient business's. Many guys just want to cut grass and the high point of their day is taking pictures of a striped lawn.

Blower racks, securing mowers, hedge trimmers, gas cans and so on are all things I have stream lined to save hundreds of man hours a year. Way too many people think things are good enough because they do not realize the money they are flushing down the toilet every day.

Those cheap racks many guys think are a bargain are actually cost you more money in the long run. If your solo wasted time is less of an issue but it is still time that could be spent being more productive.

I think the Extreme rack is kind of like the Magnamatic. Guys who have never used it think their way is just as good or good enough. But once you have actually owned one you speak from experience instead of speculation and realize how much that ignorance has cost you over the years. I wasted several years using my TrimmerTrap before I came to me senses.

Landscape Poet
06-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Extreme from Green Touch are simply the best out there. From their theft protection to the protection of the equipment there is simply not a better rack that I have seen in person. I read on here for years about them and thought well they are just over priced until I ran into another lawnsite member in my town who had bought one of the original proto types for the current model. The rest is history and I seriously am upset with myself for waiting for so long. I have had them for two years now and can remove a trimmer much quicker and make a stop along the route and know that my equipment is going to be there when I come back out.

Patriot Services
06-12-2012, 07:41 PM
I switched to Extremes a couple years back too. I got away from the JJ's. Trimmers aren't designed to have the tubes pinched and triggers get broken easily. Blowers aren't meant to hang from the handles. I saw a guy last month hit a pot hole and both his blowers broke off the hooks and got nailed by following traffic. Like everything else you get what you pay for.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nate'sLawnCare
06-13-2012, 02:04 AM
Does anyone know the lawn site discount code for the xtreme trimmer rack? Going to order mine tonight if I can.
Posted via Mobile Device

If you didn't find it yet, the code is "lawnsite1".

I just installed my extreme rack yesterday :)

PlantscapeSolutions
06-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Another problem I had with other racks is guys trying to install or remove trimmers at those awkward angle would bump the adjuster tube that sticks up up the Shin 260 & 261 on the rack below them. I bet I spent $200 on adjuster tubes over a three year span.

Because the trimmers don't have to be put in the rack trimmer head first at an angle you can also install the Extreme in places where a traditional rack won't work.

Orrdc
06-14-2012, 10:02 AM
You guys have talked me into the extreme, where is the best place to get them? You can get them on ebay for 160 shipped for the 2

PlantscapeSolutions
06-14-2012, 10:08 AM
You guys have talked me into the extreme, where is the best place to get them? You can get them on ebay for 160 shipped for the 2

Always buy a rack bigger then what you think you will need. You may be kicking your self in the azz later. I always send my guys out with more string trimmers then they need. Most of the time we use two trimmers but I have a rack that holds four.

I would check with Wise but also Russo Power in Chicago.

Orrdc
06-14-2012, 07:37 PM
I have one on the way, now I need to find a good place to mount it

Outlawn
06-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Outlawn
06-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Got my trinity iron images racks mounted yesterday. I gotta say they look and operate fantastic. I love the single lock on the trimmer rack. Also, I ordered Tuesday, Jason called and let me know that they shipped Wednesday morning, and they were at my door by 10:45 Thursday morning. Mounted them yesterday and they are great. $217 for a 3 position trimmer rack and a backpack blower rack shipped to my door.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
06-15-2012, 06:31 PM
I have one on the way, now I need to find a good place to mount it

Assuming you ordered the Extreme then you made a good choice and will be happy for years and years to come. Mounting - follow the instructions with the rack to install to allow for proper support.

Orrdc
06-15-2012, 08:12 PM
I did in fact go with the extreme, when people talk so highly of a product I tend to listen, more often than naught they were right.

I meant where on the trailer I wanted to put it, I am leaning the front

Orrdc
06-19-2012, 08:05 PM
ok it just arrived in the mail today. How fun is this thing going to be to install? The instructions are vague at best, anyone have something better. It would be nice if they at least told me what I do and don't need instead of just giving a gazillion parts and saying good luck!

Landscape Poet
06-19-2012, 10:04 PM
ok it just arrived in the mail today. How fun is this thing going to be to install? The instructions are vague at best, anyone have something better. It would be nice if they at least told me what I do and don't need instead of just giving a gazillion parts and saying good luck!

There should be instructions included. Depends on your type of installation and on what trailer. If on open just make sure the brackets are on top of supports to give added support.

Orrdc
06-19-2012, 11:39 PM
The instructions on the back of the box as I said are very vague. Since then I have read a thread on this forum about how a guy had one fall apart and took out all of his trimmers. Not super happy with the purchase now, should of read more into it instead of blindly trusting. Hopefully it works out for the better

PlantscapeSolutions
06-19-2012, 11:43 PM
The instructions on the back of the box as I said are very vague. Since then I have read a thread on this forum about how a guy had one fall apart and took out all of his trimmers. Not super happy with the purchase now, should of read more into it instead of blindly trusting. Hopefully it works out for the better

With any rack on an open trailer it can be a challenge to get thing firmly secured sometimes. My rack is in an enclosed and has worked great since being installed several years ago.

Orrdc
06-21-2012, 10:12 PM
With any rack on an open trailer it can be a challenge to get thing firmly secured sometimes. My rack is in an enclosed and has worked great since being installed several years ago.

well I got it on....

I feel it is on pretty good, it does wobble when I drive (the piece of equipment that is, not the rack) is that normal?

I do love how easy it is and how I don't have to worry about things getting stolen now, it really is a great invention

BROWNS LAWN CARE
08-03-2012, 03:12 AM
can the xtreme be mounted on a pipe top trailer?

Landscape Poet
08-03-2012, 08:15 AM
well I got it on....

I feel it is on pretty good, it does wobble when I drive (the piece of equipment that is, not the rack) is that normal?

I do love how easy it is and how I don't have to worry about things getting stolen now, it really is a great invention

If the equipment is moving you have did something incorrect. If the actual racks are wobbling...first make sure they are above supports first and not just randomly placed, You can do what I did with mine for extra support and security and have them tacked down. I thought about having a piece of metal tacked on horizontally to give additional support at first but soon discovered that just tacking them down was more than enough to keep them in good shape.

BROWNS LAWN CARE
08-03-2012, 06:15 PM
can the xtreme be mounted on a pipe top trailer?

well i guess if i could have seen the link staring me in the face 'Trimmer Rack Instructions' i would have not needed post here. but some how i missed it right in front of my eyes... :confused:

any way, it can be mounted on a pipe top trailer and i'm officially getting one :dancing:

those are sweet...

WOW
08-03-2012, 09:04 PM
I have the extreme rack for my enclosed trailer, but want to hang my trimmers vertical now. Any problems doing that?

Patriot Services
08-03-2012, 09:09 PM
I have the extreme rack for my enclosed trailer, but want to hang my trimmers vertical now. Any problems doing that?

Just rotate 90 degrees and refasten.:usflag:

WOW
08-03-2012, 11:06 PM
na... want to get rid of the bars. seems like wasted space.

WPLE
08-03-2012, 11:17 PM

Subscribing because I would love to hang mine vertical too. Haven't seen any rack options though.