PDA

View Full Version : What are some of the things you do to keep your body from wear and tear?

Darb
12-25-2002, 09:09 PM
What do you do? Do you use Sun Screen? Anti-vibration gloves? Manditory water breaks? Shatter resistant sun glasses? Any others things do you do?

fblandscape
12-25-2002, 09:31 PM
I keep a bottle of water on me, I also use ear plugs, and when applicable wear a helmet.

crazygator
12-25-2002, 09:35 PM
I wear comfortable clothing, especially with my boots. Ear protection always. Water breaks. When feeling the heat, take a break in the shade or inside somewhere.

geogunn
12-25-2002, 09:42 PM
some of the things I do only work for the affected parts. unfortunately, there is no way to turn back the clock of aging by doing lawn care. BUT, all hope is not lost for the older crowd.

for example I have a chronically sore hip joint that feels better with alot of walking. therefore I walk year round. cutting grass counts as walking but on days like today I walk the neighborhood.

gloves: I don't work with out them. period.

sunscreen: not so much while I am working but always while I am on the boat or beach.

eyes and ears: I wear glasses but when needed I wear a shield or wrap around UVEX type glasses. as for the ears, I never crank a motor without ear plugs. period. I have some hearing loss and I don't know it it is from my first year or two of operating without hearing protection.

hat and shirt: shirt always on, hat optional 'till it gets hot then hat on

water: you gotta have it. sports drink is good but I never drink more than 50% sports drink on a day that hydration is needed and that is always on the hottest afternoons. remember, heat is the enemy. by the time you realize you are too hot it is too late.

power equipment: gotta have it. it does the work. I don't rake lawns or beds. I make that point first off. I'd hire someone before I'd rake!

meds: I keep up with the ones that I take.

know your limits: this speaks for itself.

GEO

bob
12-25-2002, 10:11 PM
Training son to fill my place! But seriously, I use eye and ear protectin all the time.

lx665
12-25-2002, 10:19 PM
I try to work smart by using equipment instead of sweat. When I cut grass I use a ZTR mower. When I lift or dig, I use my skid steer. As has been said many times on this site, "steel is cheap".

John

walker-talker
12-26-2002, 02:08 AM
poked eyes twice, once with branch and another with pine needles....had to go to emergency center the first time and wear patch....shouldn't been a second time. Eyes, ear and toe protection and all time. Water breaks as need be. Seldom gloves and sunscreen. Hats on ocassions.

MATT

wojo23323
12-26-2002, 08:21 AM
I do weight training and cardio exercises 6 days per week.

FrankenScagMachines
12-26-2002, 09:34 AM
safety glasses
shooting style ear muff protectors
sunglasses and or hat as needed (shatter resistant sunglasses I will substitute them for safety glasses when mowing or blowing or put them under safety glasses when trimming)
workboots not tennis shoes
always blue jeans, much tougher than anything else and you have to have your legs covered.
seat belt in the vehicle
never wear sunscreen though because I develop a tan as the season comes on so I don't get a burn. chics dig my farmers tan! My brother envies me for the nice deep tan. maybe i should wear sunscreen sometimes.
leave safety controls alone on equipment!
wear gloves as needed but my hands are calloused and tough.

thats about it.
Safety first! :angel:

SWD
12-26-2002, 10:50 AM
I have to wear galsses so I have impact resistant safety lenses in my glasses.
Molded ear plugs that are made from casts to fit my ears. Better decibel reduction and more comfortable than ear muffs or the yellow inserts.
100% cotton shirts, hats and underclothes. In my area, temps hover around 95 - 105F for six months out of the year.
Equipment runs the best it can. There is nothing worse on a hot day than fighting a machine that doesn't want to run correctly.
Keep the a/c off in the truck until I am on the way home.
Water, Water and more Water.
Set a schedule for work and adhere to it as much as possible.
I tried sun screen, but when I sweat it runs into my eyes. That hurts!

LLMSERVICE
12-26-2002, 11:10 AM
hearing protection all the time
forestry type hardhat/face shield/visor/hearing protection combination when trimming.
steel toe hiking boots
hat when the sun is out.
leather work gloves
keep lots of water in the truck
two first aid kits - one in truck and a small hiking kit in my pocket
switched a 2-cycle mower to a four cycle to reduce breathing in excess fumes.
Use strobe type roof light on truck and orange pylons for increased road safety and visibility when working on streets.
Use landscape trailer for most gear to avoid lifting heavy equipment into back of truck.

...and don't forget maintaining your mental health. Enjoy what you do, don't take more than you can handle, don't let that small percentage of difficult clients get to you, make time for family and freinds and take a vacation every once and a while.

SpudsM15
12-26-2002, 11:20 AM
Fire Extinguisher! At least one in the truck!
First Aid kit!

bobbygedd
12-26-2002, 11:36 AM
hearing protection is a must. sunscrean too. from april till mid december i beat my self to death. lawncare stops in mid december, starting second week in jan i start weight lifting, continue for about 3 months, feel great at startup time(april) then by sept im dying.

MPhillips
12-26-2002, 02:51 PM
just like everyone else: safety glasses, ear protection gloves, respirators, boots, suntan lotion...and a cool Army Ranger field cap to keep the sun off. I also take those anti-inflammatory pills that Joe Namoth advertises...keep my knees feeling great...but the best thing is, I hire, and train good folks to do the stuff I'm getting too old to do...

nelbuts
12-26-2002, 05:04 PM
:D Hahahahaha! Want to know what I do? Been doing this since 1986 in SW Florida. So the heat is and humitity is a problem from March to November. You know 95degrees and 85% humitity.
First, good boots.
Second, shorts!!
Third, cotton sport shirt.
Fourth, hat with two inch brim from 10 am till finished.
Sunglasses, safety style wrap around.
One 32 ounce bottle of sport drink (any color)-- 12 pack diet coke.
A towel.
Finally, a Sony sport radio that fits around the back of your head and hooks on your ears. Tuned to sports radio or RUSH!

One thing the AC never goes on in my truck until the end of the week. Sometimes that may be several months as I work everyday in summer.

MATTHEW
12-26-2002, 10:31 PM
Lots of good stuff listed.

As far as keeping ones self from wearing out, two things really help.

#1 Staying cool. Wear a ball cap and wet your hair down under it. You'll be surprised how cool you'll feel.

#2 Well greased joints. It's usually advertised for older folks, but we all can benefit from taking Glucosamine/Condroiten tablets. They keep your joints well lubricated.

lawncare3
12-26-2002, 11:00 PM
Peltor hearing protector with am/fm radio
I use a lot of water & breaks!

Likestomow
12-27-2002, 12:23 AM
Get or make a spring assist lift for your trailer tailgate.

Install a 12v. spreader on your mower and use it.

Hire a young helper to do the trimming and hard work.

Do stretching exercises in the morning.

thartz
12-27-2002, 01:09 AM
Stretch out before you work! I learned this the hard way on a cold winter morning and almost ruined my back! You have to look as yourself as an athelete: we aren't behind desks: so my doc says, so keep everything limbered up so you don't hurt your body. btw I hurt my back bending over to pull a weed of all things.ugh!

nelbuts
12-27-2002, 09:35 PM
hey thartz,
Got one better than that. I hurt my back a couple of years ago throwing a paper towel away in my kitchen waste basket under the kitchen sink!! Was laid up flat for about three days and took two weeks for it to feel norma. And before anyone asks, yes they wer Bounty paper towels! You know how heavy they are!

GroundKprs
12-27-2002, 10:28 PM
That suntan may seen neat now. The doctor who removed the skin cancer on my back last year said it was probably from a childhood sunburn. Yeah, i did have a blistering sunburn 50 years ago.

And did you know that hearing damage is not generally expressed until 20 years after the damage is done? So by the time you notice a hearing loss from your equipment, and start to use protection, you won't know the extent of the damage for 20 years. And if you're using hearing protection now, you won't know if it was good enough until 20 years from now?

1MajorTom
12-27-2002, 11:36 PM
I wear a hat every single day. I don't especially like how I look wearing a hat, but the sun can be a killer on hair, drying it out, and ruining any professionally done hair coloring.
Although I have always worn contacts since I was 13 years old, I refuse to wear them while working. Dust, grass particles etc flying around sure don't mix with contacts so I have resorted to wearing glasses.
Over the years I have run into while shopping many of our customers. I always make the mistake of saying hi, and the reaction I get by the customer is a dumbfounded one. I am never recognized outside of work.
I can remember when we were purchasing our home. We met with the home inspector, and then met with him again a few days later. He happened to meet me the second time after we had just finished up working. He shook my hand and asked me who I was. :blush:

I have already started preaching about the upcoming season to Matt. He basically takes no safety precautions. No hat, no sunscreen, no hearing protection, and only very seldom does he wear eye protection and that's only if he is in a heavy brush/clearing situation. It's sad.
He does drink plenty of water though all day long.

Clay
12-28-2002, 12:24 AM
Good for you Jodi...

Anyone who works in the sun and doesn't wear a hat has either had a lobotomy or needs one... lol...

I did an oral report in college on sunburn and didn't even want to go out in the sun after the research...

Hat, glasses and ear protection are no brainers...

Take Care, Clay

Simone Lawn Service
12-28-2002, 02:23 AM
The cooler months of the season I insist on wearing full ice hockey goalie protective padding including a full face helmet. However during the hottest summer months I slack off a little and trim down to a much cooler thick wool or cashmere sweater (dark in color as not to attract the bees), cordouroy pants, guanlet style welding gloves, leather work boots, and a open faced motorcycle helmet (the ones from the 70's with the little sparkles in the paint) and of course-a mouth guard.:jester: