PDA

View Full Version : Totalled truck Update

Runner
12-25-2002, 11:49 PM
Well, here's the latest on my truck. I got the police report back, and it (of course ) confirms that the other driver was completely at fault. The insurance company contacted me yesterday and while I had my truck blue-booked at 11,700, they told me THEY did an appraisal, and found THEIR appraisal to be at 15,500. So, this is what they're giving me. They said if I wanted to buy it back, they would still give me just over 10,000. I don't want to do this, because it would probably cost about that much to fix, and it would probably never be right. If I take the 15,500, I can do my payoff which is about 4,500, and then have to start a new loan. Back to square one. I've got a line up on a sweet deal on a '99, with one owner. It's a GMC just like my old one (but a year newer), so it has the 3rd door which I told myself I'd DEFinintely have to have on my next truck. Anyway, this truck is the Z-71 package, loaded, leather interior (which I'm not real crazy about), has full length chrome nurf bars, tonneau cover, tinted glass, window drip edges, but best of all, only low 40's on the mileage, and is owned by a non-smoking girl. This thing was just babied. She also has the extended warranty. It's a sort of smoked silver color. She's asking 16,000 for it, and the repo man is about to take it. I'm going to go check it out, and see how it goes.

rodfather
12-26-2002, 05:17 PM
Runner...out with the old and in with the new.

Move on it before it's repoed. I would even consider contacting them if you know who they are. Sounds like it could be a real sweet deal.

Runner
12-26-2002, 05:22 PM
Out with the old, in with the new.
It's kind of funny, I could actually write a country song, here. During this Christmas season, I lost my girlfriend AND my truck. GOD, I'm gonna miss that truck!:p

rodfather
12-26-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Runner
Out with the old, in with the new.
It's kind of funny, I could actually write a country song, here. During this Christmas season, I lost my girlfriend AND my truck. GOD, I'm gonna miss that truck!:p

ROTFLMAO...BTW, trucks are a helluva less expensive!!!

And less maintenance, too.

rodfather
12-26-2002, 05:26 PM
BTW, I hope you haven't lost your dog too.

Now that, would be a real loss:cry: :cry: :cry:

Albemarle Lawn
12-26-2002, 05:47 PM
Isn't Z71 the off road RPO code for Half-tonners?

No offense but that truck sounds like a Texas Caddilac.

I would keep shopping for something like a GMC or Chevy 2500HD with 8 lug wheels, 4 wheel drive, trans coolers, oil coolers, big alternator, rugged interior etc.

A heavy duty truck will cost less in the long run, and probably less than the Texas Cadillac up front, too.

Just my $.02, based on experience.

Runner
12-26-2002, 06:07 PM
Well, I already have my work truck (1 ton) taken care of. I just want this for something nice to drive, and occasionally do a bit of light work. (I usually used my little pickup for the fert. and such). And yes, it is a half ton, same as my old one. Even with a 3/4, they are still soft for plowing or anything. You always have to go with a 1 ton or bigger if you want anything of any sort of substance. Like I said, all these 1/2 tons are, are nothing more than an SUV with a pickup bed on them.

kris
12-26-2002, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Runner
THEIR appraisal to be at 15,500. So, this is what they're giving me.

I'm not sure about down there but here in Canada this is a game the insurance companys play. You do not have to take their offer and I would not.

Randy Scott
12-26-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by kris
I'm not sure about down there but here in Canada this is a game the insurance companys play. You do not have to take their offer and I would not.

I think you misunderstood his statement. He is actually getting more than what he expected. If I read correctly, that's what he meant.

nelbuts
12-26-2002, 09:49 PM
I have a Z71 with 210,000 miles on it. No lightweight. They come with 16" wheels and and heavy suspension. Mine has a tranny cooler. The 2500 series now is not as heavy as the 2500 series 15 years ago. In fact the F250 super dutyies now are about what the old F25o's were 15 years ago. Just another way to get more money. Honestly can any of us justify $45K fo a pick up?

lawncare3
12-26-2002, 09:57 PM
btw trucks are a helluva less expensive!!!
I agree and they don't fight w/you:D

MikeLT1Z28
12-26-2002, 10:17 PM
i say go for it, the leather won't be so bad since you won't use it daily for work. easier to clean and doesn't hold dust either.

Lanelle
12-26-2002, 10:24 PM
She's asking 16,000 for it, and the repo man is about to take it. I'm going to go check it out, and see how it goes.

So are you going to check out the truck or the non-smoking girl or both?:D

Likestomow
12-26-2002, 11:25 PM
Runner - here is a tip that you may or may not already know:

Ask the insurance company to pay you the SALES TAX on that 15k. They will, but only if you ask. You will have to re-pay it on the next truck you purchase.

kris
12-27-2002, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Randy Scott
I think you misunderstood his statement. He is actually getting more than what he expected. If I read correctly, that's what he meant.

Your right... sorry, I thought it read 17k.

Runner
12-27-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Likestomow
Runner - here is a tip that you may or may not already know:

Ask the insurance company to pay you the SALES TAX on that 15k. They will, but only if you ask. You will have to re-pay it on the next truck you purchase.

Now someone else had mentioned this to me, also. I'm a little confused about it. Why would they pay the tax to me? Wouldn't they pay it to the state? Please help!