PDA

View Full Version : 2003 walkbehind

chariot
12-26-2002, 10:04 AM
Since my question was overlooked in the "2003 model" thread I thought that I would make a new thread. This is in reference to the walkbihinds getting more power. Artman said they are prototyping them still. Since you are still prototyping does this mean that we will not likely see new engine options in the Spring in time for the new season? Thanks

PaulJ
12-26-2002, 11:52 AM
Chariot

I think you might be wasting your breath (or typed words)

Hustler either isn't listening to anything we say or ask about walkbehinds or they just are'nt talking about anything new.

I've been running into a wall for about 6 months anytime I ask about new walkbehinds. To be fair It isn't just hustler, but exmark gravely and scag as well. Nowbody is listening.

What I want is a 48" hydro floating deck with 18 tires and more than 17 hp (19-23 hp) I can't even look at anything close around here. The hustler dealer I talked to just started to sell me a 44" fastrak ? ?:rolleyes:

So if they have anything new coming out. I don't expect to see or hear anything about it until it's been in the field for a year or so and someone on this board has used one and can tell us.

Doc Pete
12-26-2002, 01:06 PM
Hustler has shown real interest in my 23 kaw WB's. Originally, Huster felt too much modification was needed to fit the 20 to 25 Kaws to the WB. However, after I explained the conversion is a straight drop in, with a minimal change to the exhaust header, if we continue to let Hustler know we do want the increased power, you may see it for the "upcoming" season. Here's hoping.

Pete

chariot
12-26-2002, 04:06 PM
If they do anything about the engine option or not is up to them, obviously. I would just like to have an answer to my simple question: will we see new engine options in time to cut in the spring or not? Thanks

Doc Pete
12-26-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by PaulJ

What I want is a 48" hydro floating deck with 18 tires and more than 17 hp (19-23 hp)

Paul,

Let me tell ya, you want 20" tires, they're awesome. I've have them on my WB and "that's" what has allowed me to mow at over 9 mph, and still have the machine track well and not bounce. FWIW, I've been round and round with many companies, too, and they just are stuck in 1962:p.
However, I think Hustler may be really listening to what the customer has to say. They listened about their Z line and it's really taken off. FYI, the Hustler 48" is full floating, built like a tank and cuts super with no blowout. I've already put the 20" tires on it, AND Hustler already has these rims from their fasttrack. All they need to do is supply the tires, and drop on more power and they'll have want you are looking for. I know the owner monitors this forum, and I truly believe he will get the message.
Sadly, part of the problem is Hustler reps could be a little more opened minded and when confronted by guy's like you, me and Chariot, they think we're crazy. However, we're just ahead of everyone else:D Ya know, I let my rep demo my machine, and he was just amazed. He was going over giant tree roots and other stuff and the machine acted as if the ground was smooth......
Pete

chariot
12-27-2002, 12:24 AM
Hey Pete, hopefully one of those owners will see my question and answer it, soon. It has been ten(10) days since I first asked this question in the other post. Atleast a responce telling me if nothing can be told at this time. I guess if this will not get me anywhere I will head back over and get another red mower to match the one that I already have.

mowerconsultant
12-27-2002, 09:58 AM
Nothing can be told right now.

The product is in deveolpment, I can tell you we hope to have it for spring.
We are looking at many engines, and when the choices have been made we will inform everyone here at LS first.

Hope this helps
Pj

chariot
12-27-2002, 10:30 AM
Thanks for a responce, I look forward to the new models being released.

Doc Pete
12-27-2002, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by mowerconsultant
Nothing can be told right now.

The product is in deveolpment, I can tell you we hope to have it for spring.
We are looking at many engines, and when the choices have been made we will inform everyone here at LS first.

Hope this helpsPj

Thanks PJ,
The trend we are starting to see is smaller lawns that have Chemlawn, lawn tech, Green lawns, and other fertilizer services. Because these people want a thick green lawn, we really need more power to run doubles, mulch, and/or double cut the lawns. And, even though we cut once a week, these lawns are so thick we need every bit of "overkill" power:p , to cut them. Also, to keep with the riders, the WB's need the extra power to mow at the higher speeds, 7, 8, and 9+ that the riders can do on "homeowner" lots.
Pete

Doc Pete
12-27-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by chariot
Hey Pete, hopefully one of those owners will see my question and answer it, soon. It has been ten(10) days since I first asked this question in the other post. Atleast a responce telling me if nothing can be told at this time. I guess if this will not get me anywhere I will head back over and get another red mower to match the one that I already have.

Chairiot,

As PJ mentioned, I think Hustler is really trying to listen to the customer and make changes in the WB's. I'm sure what makes it hard is Hustler is trying to "stay up with demand" on their Z riders, plus get the "Gatemaster" rolling AND change their WB's. Boy:rolleyes:, they sure got a lot to do and not a lot of time....
Pete

crazygator
12-30-2002, 12:36 PM
Hey guys, I feel for you wanting to know what is online for the next generation of mowers. But, coming from the equipment side of things Hustler and others do have their hands tied. What if they told everything they were thinking of and another company stole the idea. I know that is extreme, but it can and has happened.

We have seen how Hustler responds to threads and posts. They will not give any info out until they have a product to show. Let's just give them a little time, I am confident they will show you what you want.

I too would like to see more HP on the walk behind. 23-25 Kawasaki, plus maybe some other mod's Pete has done sound like an awesome machine. Just keep letting them know what we want/need and they will add it. They might not add it as soon as we want, but it will come.

Doc Pete
12-30-2002, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by crazygator
I too would like to see more HP on the walk behind. 23-25 Kawasaki, plus maybe some other mod's Pete has done sound like an awesome machine. Just keep letting them know what we want/need and they will add it. They might not add it as soon as we want, but it will come.

Gator,
Yes, at least I think Hustler realizes we want to stay with them, but also that "most all" of us can really use more power. And, I'll bet that as of last year, Hustler wasn't aware that their WB could use the extra HP, until we finally let them know....
Pete

chariot
12-30-2002, 07:23 PM
Crazygator, I don't expect them to tell everything they know. I just was wanting to know when I might be able to know something, like when will something new be out. What about this thread are other manufacturers going to get from it... Most others already offer more HP on their walkbehinds, that is what I intending for this thread to be about.

Pete, If all the models they make are a problem then why not just drop the 23Kawasaki on it like you did? Everyone knows this engine already. Or, not start on the gatemaster till the current walkbehind is what people want. Thanks

PWM
12-31-2002, 01:01 AM
Chariot,

Pete is correct, we are evaluating the current walk behinds and are planning on making improvements to them in the future. I hear you on the "more horsepower", are there any other improvements that you all would like to see us make.
I don't know if we will have more horsepower by spring but I will take a look at it on Thursday and let you know.
Pete is also correct in saying we didn't know we had a horsepower problem until we started getting feedback from you all. I really appreciate hearing directly from you and what you say does have an impact on the decisions we make at Hustler.

Happy New Year,

Paul

chariot
12-31-2002, 06:21 PM
Paul, I know of no other improvements you guys could make. This is primarily due to the fact that I have never used one of your walkbehind. I have had no desire to look at them with the horsepower they have. This webpage has given me most of the exposure to them that I have. This webpage is also what has made me take a second look. I would not have considered buying one now if this HP issue were not being addressed. I look forward to seeing what you will have to offer.

Thanks for addressing my interest in your product. It is nice to see that this is read by people that have the ability to do something about a concern that one may have.

PWM
01-07-2003, 10:57 AM
Because of your input we have decided to go ahead and increase the horsepower on the 48 and 54 inch Walkbehinds. We need to have our supplier redesign their muffler and exhaust pipe to allow the bigger engines to fit. How does a 23hp-48 and a 25hp-54 sound?

Doc Pete
01-07-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by PWM
Because of your input we have decided to go ahead and increase the horsepower on the 48 and 54 inch Walkbehinds. We need to have our supplier redesign their muffler and exhaust pipe to allow the bigger engines to fit. How does a 23hp-48 and a 25hp-54 sound?

That sounds great, Paul. I'll have to get in touch with my dealer and put my order in for the 23/48". This is terrific. Now I can install my "Problow" leave blower on the 48 and use the 54 for cutting grass til the end of the season.
Thanks,
Pete

MacLawnCo
01-07-2003, 12:25 PM
sounds very satisfying. Thanks for listening!

JLC
01-07-2003, 02:09 PM
Paul,

Sound, well I guess I'll have to wait to hear it run...just kidding.

In all honesty, I truly think they will be GREAT machines with these larger engine options. I'm here cheering in my office! This will be a great trade up from my 17 horse 54". The only complaint I have with it is the power. There is no way there will be a power issue with a 25 horse 54" walkbehind. Way to go!!!! Thanks for listening!!!

Ben

grassdaddy
01-07-2003, 03:26 PM
now your cookin with gas!!:D :D

crazygator
01-07-2003, 05:58 PM
Paul and the whole Hustler team,

Thank you very much for listening to our wants and our needs. It says a lot for a company to have people here monitor what is being said. It means even more that the President of the company is here not only seeing what is said, but also replying. Another reason to look at the Hustler brand! :D

gene gls
01-07-2003, 10:49 PM
I think its time for 30 HP on the Super Z, espically if using the bac-vac.

Gene

mowerconsultant
01-07-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by gene gls
I think its time for 30 HP on the Super Z, espically if using the bac-vac.

Gene

The Kohler 27 carb and 28 EFI are coming in the spring.......

Later
Pj

Doc Pete
01-07-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by mowerconsultant
The Kohler 27 carb and 28 EFI are coming in the spring.......
Later
Pj

If we can almost "stall" the old 48" Shortcut with BacVac and 25hp Kaw, we "Need" the 30hp. But, we'll settle for anything we can get..........
Pete

chariot
01-08-2003, 12:40 AM
Sounds good...will wait to see.

J.Gordon
05-21-2003, 11:18 PM
Well in that case I think Ill wait a while on my choice. I had full intentions on buying a ZD 28-60 Kubota because of the 0% but I drove 75 miles to a Hustler dealer and he acted as if he really cared for my business. I was going to get a Super Z, until I test-drove a Hustler W/B now with a 25 HP I dont know which one to get. Can you get a dealer in Joplin MO.

zip

Doc Pete
05-22-2003, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by zip63
Well in that case I think Ill wait a while on my choice. I had full intentions on buying a ZD 28-60 Kubota because of the 0% but I drove 75 miles to a Hustler dealer and he acted as if he really cared for my business. I was going to get a Super Z, until I test-drove a Hustler W/B now with a 25 HP I dont know which one to get. Can you get a dealer in Joplin MO.zip

Having had the chance to drive four of Hustler's best (the rep had stuff on his trailer for a show), the super WB's are really an overlooked prize. With a Bullyrider (Hustler's and my choice) velky, the Wb's are competitive with a rider in speed and cut, plus cost less, AND offer unmatched versatility.
Sadly, the narrow mindedness of many LCOs keeps them choosing a rider instead of the WB. And, to prove my point, most LCOs continue to think Im trying to push the Hustler WB for my own gain. How ridiculous. What gain, I ask? I get no commission or cut of the profit. My only gain is the satisfaction of helping another fellow worker, and in return, one of these people may offer me a worthwhile tip.
Pete