PDA

View Full Version : criticize my project planning stages..

BradLewisLawnCare
05-26-2012, 08:26 PM
Ok so I have a project in my back yard that I am doing on saturdays with my guys on overtime. I want it done by 4th of july. I poured my sidewalks and have preliminary plans. We have done pavers and retaining walls and are not completely new, but we do not do patios and walls every day. That being said before I completely screw up my back yard I wanted to post my starting pictures for you guys to laugh at, criticize, and in all reality make my product and my back yard look amazing.

so I have not decided what paver yet, but was thinking i like the color of pebble by versa lok. I also want to use their retaining wall block so it might just work.
Opinions?

As for method of installation I plan to put down geo fabric under my base of 4 inches of crusher run and 2 inches of concrete sand then pavers. I'll be using polymeric sand after i install pavers. I didn't pick out a bond run and style for the circle.

What should I use as an edge on the top of the drawing to keep pavers from moving? Should I put sitting wall in and pavers up to wall? I wanted to use block edgers (pebble by versa lok) on to hold pavers in instead of the black plastic patio edging. Is that incorrect.

what should my diameter be of my circle? I want a fire pit in the middle. I have it dug out at 17 feet now, but i think that is big.

I want a seven inch step up to concrete pad that will be the hot tub and patio set slab. I shot my levels so I am good with slope.a little less than 1 inch on 4 feet for the slope with hot tub concrete slab.

Now for pictures. I can't buy materials until tuesday so hopefully you guys are bored and want to give insight before then.

Brad

BradLewisLawnCare
05-26-2012, 08:30 PM
here ya go

BradLewisLawnCare
05-26-2012, 08:33 PM
she wanted to help *trucewhiteflag*

knox gsl
05-26-2012, 08:53 PM
I have nothing to add to this other than I would like to trade helpers with you.
Posted via Mobile Device

BradLewisLawnCare
05-26-2012, 08:56 PM
you'd laugh harder because i literally had to beg her to come hang while i got the circle to the depth needed. then when the dirt was 8 inches below the concrete walk i brought out the tamper. (she did help tell me with the sight level when helpers left tonight). All of a sudden i turn it on and she jumps outta that little lawn chair and says "can i try".

grandview (2006)
05-26-2012, 09:24 PM
I would of concrete that sidewalk all the way to the basement wall.

BradLewisLawnCare
05-26-2012, 09:35 PM
I am 100% in agreement. Reason I didn't, if you turn around there is a gate installed by previous owner that lines up perfectly with the sidewalk. So I may pour 2x4 all the way down as add in later. Or plant salvia and plants thy grow like that... Or rip out sod and fabric and stone the area. Just bought in November.
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
05-26-2012, 10:37 PM
WHY 2-inches of concrete sand??

Thats's too much.

You only need 1-inch.

No More.

No less.

Aggregate base can be 4-inches. Most folk do five.

DVS Hardscaper
05-26-2012, 10:40 PM
Also, the father in me needs to ask:

Why are you starting a project when that dilapadated shed needs razed?

DVS Hardscaper
05-26-2012, 10:42 PM
And the space between the house and the concrete walk is WAY too narrow. What on earth is that spindley space going to become? Certainly not a planting bed :)

BradLewisLawnCare
05-26-2012, 10:56 PM
Ok 5 inches. Done. 1 in concrete sand done. Knew that would come out. Don't ask me why. No need to go further with that.

That shed has been there since 1910. I don't want to spend the money on that yet. I also new to side the house and raze the back porch.

The side of concrete has been addressed but given design limitations it is grass now what would you do.
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
05-26-2012, 11:05 PM
I'm issuing a stop work order on the patio until the dilapadated structure is contended with!

1910 was 102 years ago. It served it purpose. Time to go.

BradLewisLawnCare
05-26-2012, 11:09 PM
Haha. Hot tubs are too important. The landscaping will look better when I knock it down. The plain fact is I am not about to get a building permit and replace it until later this year or next.. It is 3 bays and functions. Actually 60x20. So it is a 3 bay garage. A little big to just knock down without city approval. They need plans an engineering specs.
Posted via Mobile Device

BradLewisLawnCare
05-26-2012, 11:57 PM
Why about the radius on the patio. That's the most important question. If I want a fire pit and a sitting wall
What the most effective radius in your opinion?
Posted via Mobile Device

knox gsl
05-27-2012, 12:04 AM
Why about the radius on the patio. That's the most important question. If I want a fire pit and a sitting wall
What the most effective radius in your opinion?
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm not a hardscaping guy but I would've already had that figured out before excavation began.

alldayrj
05-27-2012, 07:14 AM
17 should be fine. I posted pics in my thread of one with 15 diameter. Can't be too big right?
Posted via Mobile Device

BradLewisLawnCare
05-27-2012, 10:34 AM
I am concerned that the circle won't tangent my concrete walk(overhead shot). Walk and circle need to stay away from the garage so I can back my truck there. If I decrease size of circle, i can move it forward to hit tangent. My other concern is staying 20 ft away from the house with the pit.
Posted via Mobile Device

PaperCutter
05-27-2012, 10:53 AM
If you want to hit tangent with the walk, it looks like the radius point is on the same axis as the back of the walk, right? If you're doing a 17' diameter circle, measure 8.5' straight off the sidewalk, set your point, and pull your radius. Or whatever dimensions you're after.

BradLewisLawnCare
05-27-2012, 10:56 AM
this is the reason for the gap with grass. the gate is at the end. So, the grass has to be dealt with.

BradLewisLawnCare
05-27-2012, 10:59 AM
as for the radius, i understand on how to get my radius, but for planning purposes, would it be better to shift the patio and fill in with a paver walk? then decrease circle size?

more than that I've read here that pits work well will walls on patios if they are roughly 4 feet away. That being said a 6 foot radius seems to be much better than 8.5 because at 6 you can put your sitting wall at the back of the circle pad. picture coming.

BradLewisLawnCare
05-27-2012, 11:02 AM
just a quick drawing of what i am trying to say.

DVS Hardscaper
05-27-2012, 09:26 PM
this is the reason for the gap with grass. the gate is at the end. So, the grass has to be dealt with.

Gate should have been moved

Posted via Mobile Device

zedosix
05-27-2012, 09:41 PM
I always spill my beer when I look at pictures sideways.

DVS Hardscaper
05-27-2012, 11:22 PM
I always spill my beer when I look at pictures sideways.

I know, right!

If this were my forum, I would suspend any member that posts sideways pictures for 5 days.

BradLewisLawnCare
05-28-2012, 04:19 AM
In my defense, my mac automatically corrects it. So I see it upright until it's posted. My apologies. Will try and correct the pictures sometime soon.
Posted via Mobile Device

BradLewisLawnCare
06-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Ok, update. the wall and stairs are put in. not cleaned. I am now planning on doing pavers against the building, not concrete. the same pavers i am using for the radius patio out back. It ends on the left early because I am installing a 14 ft cantilever gate.

BradLewisLawnCare
06-15-2012, 09:33 PM
sitting wall is up and the fire pit is in. by next week i should have much better progress/photos. 7/4 is coming.

GreenI.A.
06-17-2012, 09:37 PM
you'd laugh harder because i literally had to beg her to come hang while i got the circle to the depth needed.....All of a sudden i turn it on and she jumps outta that little lawn chair and says "can i try".

It's funny how a 150lb vibrating piece of machinery makes a woman come running.

BradLewisLawnCare
06-25-2012, 07:46 AM
updated picture. wall and pit were put in before the pavers. I know I could have done better on the cuts, but I accepted flaws to give everyone a chance at cutting a couple. The design isn't that great and my lines could be straighter. I had a lot of fun, but we have been so slammed. At least I can rip it out and do it again if I get really picky next year... Sitting wall is lower than I wanted. good thing I has 7 nieces and nephews, one on the way. They will appreciate it. It is 17" I didn't calculate that I'd want to raise the height of the patio in front of the wall for drainage when installing the wall and it caused me to have a lower sitting wall. I was shooting for 20" Then I did more thinking and researching. my first fire pit and sitting wall! not my first patio, but my first radius patio. I am pretty satisfied.

BradLewisLawnCare
06-25-2012, 07:48 AM
here it is. first one came in sideways.

BradLewisLawnCare
06-25-2012, 07:49 AM
The angle of the lines is meant to be a direct line from the corner of the building to the fire pit so that the lines are straight when looking around the corner.