PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Chev Key Switch Problem

ed2hess
05-27-2012, 03:52 PM
What kind of a problem do I have to replace the key lock cyclinder on a 1989 chev pickup. Can't turn the key. I have experience some experience with Ford replacement. I will get the book but wanting an idea of whether this is 1 hour job or half a day.

dieselss
05-27-2012, 09:21 PM
Little of both......gotta slide hammer out the old lock cylinder.....if it breaks the coloum...then like hole day job to replcace the coloum
Posted via Mobile Device

32vld
05-27-2012, 09:37 PM
Simple job.

Remove horn pad.

Remove lock ring then nut on end of steering column.

Then will need a steering wheel puller set.

First use tool pull the steering wheel off the column. Then use the second part of the tool set to press down plastic plate that covers directional switch so pressure against another lock ring is removed and that lock ring is popped out of the groove on steering column and removed from the column.

While since I did one. Once plastic plate is removed you may have to remove directional switch screws so you can move D switch out of the way so you can remove fastener that holds the key cylinder in place.

Then just pull out the key cylinder.

dieselss
05-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Ummmmmmm last key switch I did,,, I had to have the key in the tumbler and turned to run or start to remove the whole assm....he said the key wouldn't work in the tumbler
Posted via Mobile Device

ed2hess
05-27-2012, 10:21 PM
Ummmmmmm last key switch I did,,, I had to have the key in the tumbler and turned to run or start to remove the whole assm....he said the key wouldn't work in the tumbler
Posted via Mobile Device

Yep......I am thinking that if you can turn the switch with the key then
it comes out real nice and sweet. But if you can't turn the switch then it is a *****. I need a robber expert to give me some advise.

ed2hess
05-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Simple job.

Remove horn pad.

Remove lock ring then nut on end of steering column.

Then will need a steering wheel puller set.

First use tool pull the steering wheel off the column. Then use the second part of the tool set to press down plastic plate that covers directional switch so pressure against another lock ring is removed and that lock ring is popped out of the groove on steering column and removed from the column.

While since I did one. Once plastic plate is removed you may have to remove directional switch screws so you can move D switch out of the way so you can remove fastener that holds the key cylinder in place.

Then just pull out the key cylinder.

Isn't it likely that the switch cyclinder is bad if you can't turn the key and not the starter switch on the column? Assuming I can pull the switch cycliner out using the key and paper clip ....can that part be purchased and installed. I assume the key tumblers are in the part you remove right? If I have to get into pulling the steering wheel lthen I woudl replace the ignition switch on the column.

dieselss
05-28-2012, 05:49 PM
Yes those tumblers are very common. But if you cant turn the key, either the key or the tumbler is shot. The internals can go bad.. Try and squirt some lube in it first before you goto the extreme
Posted via Mobile Device

dieselss
05-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Again you have to turn the key to get the tumbler out. If you can't then drill, or slide hammer it out
Posted via Mobile Device

32vld
05-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Back in the day when I worked in as a mechanic in a GM dealership we never had to drill or pull or slide hammer out a ignition key cylinder.

I also repaired the steering columns on many theft recovery autos. Those steering columns had to be repaired because of people like you advocating drilling and or pulling out the key cylinder.

He can try another key but you would think that everyone has a spare key and he would of tried it along with trying so penetrating oil before posting here.

There is no such thing as a switch cylinder.

There is an ignition switch on the lower end of the steering column and the igntion key cylinder. As with all electrical switches they open or close the electircal circuit.

In the 60's the ignition key lock cylinder and switch were all one unit located on the dash.

Later when the ignition key was located on the steering column the lock cylinder was connected to the ignition switch (located on the lower end of the steering column) by a metal rod.

As the key causes the ign lock cylinder to turn it causes the rod to move towards the ignition switch, which then causes the ignition switch to complete the circuit and the car will start and run.

Edit to add never had an ignition switch or the rod cause the key cylinder not turn.

ed2hess
05-28-2012, 10:10 PM
As the key causes the ign lock cylinder to turn turn.

I haven't went over to the truck yet and tried it myself i am swamped with other repair on lawn equipment. That lock cylinder rotates in something and is that something replaceable also or does the ign lock cylinder come out in total when you turn it and use the paper clip. This dam truck is a spare but parked in a bad place at our shop. I am basically wanting to move it at this point. I ain't going to do any drilling but I will use dromel to cut all those cowing off if I have to.....if that helps get this thing moved.

ecurbthims
05-29-2012, 02:40 AM
the lock cylinder just rotates in the column housing ,it can be replaced,but its probably not what needs work .The keys when they wear ,turn into a powder that builds up in the cylinder and between the cylinder and the housing .Simply remove the steering wheel ,the horn ring ,the plate [you have to push down on it while prying out a metal ring around the column shaft ] signal switch ,you can then access the screw that holds the ignition cylinder in ,then pull it out of the column .Clean out the area as best you can ,then replace it with a new one that comes with new keys and costs about $15.00 canadian [probably cheaper in the us] .Get one at a parts place like carquest or napa .A steering wheel puller and a lock plate tool would be nice ,but I have done many without the lock plate tool before .You might have a store that loans tools out for free in your area ,if so get the proper tools and go at it .

ecurbthims
05-29-2012, 02:43 AM
sorry ,but after re-reading my first line ,I meant to say the housing can be replaced but is probably not what needs replacing .

ed2hess
05-29-2012, 07:37 PM
the lock cylinder just rotates in the column housing ,it can be replaced,but its probably not what needs work .The keys when they wear ,turn into a powder that builds up in the cylinder and between the cylinder and the housing .Simply remove the steering wheel ,the horn ring ,the plate [you have to push down on it while prying out a metal ring around the column shaft ] signal switch ,you can then access the screw that holds the ignition cylinder in ,then pull it out of the column .Clean out the area as best you can ,then replace it with a new one that comes with new keys and costs about $15.00 canadian [probably cheaper in the us] .Get one at a parts place like carquest or napa .A steering wheel puller and a lock plate tool would be nice ,but I have done many without the lock plate tool before .You might have a store that loans tools out for free in your area ,if so get the proper tools and go at it .
So you say the cyclinder can';t be taken out like on Ford.....it has no
lock screw , all you need is key and a paper clip.

ecurbthims
05-29-2012, 11:36 PM
the cylinder comes out as a complete assembly,unlike the ford ,no paperclip needed ,there is a torx screw holding it into the column housing .Getting the wheel off ,and the plate out is the only hard part of the job which with the proper tools should take less than a half hour .

ed2hess
05-30-2012, 09:45 PM
So how do we move this thing......disconnect the drive shaft but can't steer the blanker:dizzy::dizzy: It certainly could have been a lot worse to have this happen away from our site. By the way i am fooling around here just can'
t get exicited about workiing in the heat inside that truck.

ed2hess
06-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Well changing out that keylock was pretty simple with the two tools that were recommended. Autozone loanes out the tools. I could see it would be alittle tricky getting that c-ring off while holding it with your hand. Busted myself in the mouth once trying to pull a steering wheel off.....so I understand the value of the puller. If I had more time I would have got rid of that interlock on the steering wheel.