PDA

View Full Version : WET,CRAPPY WEATHER

FIREMAN
08-13-2000, 06:55 PM
I AM KICKING MYSELF IN THE A** FOR NOT BUYING HYDRO WB\\\'S...MY WALKERS ARE STARTING TO LOSE TRACTION DUE TO THE CONSTANT WET WEATHER AND BELT DRIVE WB\\\'S ARE EVEN MORE FRUSTRATING, ANYONE HAVE ANY HINTS FOR MAKING LIFE A LITTLE EASIER WITH BELTS ON WET DAYS???

lawrence stone
08-13-2000, 07:10 PM
With belt drives you need to cut the hay when the sun shines.

Thats why I work on Sat. and Sunday as needed.

That's a tough sell fireman if you have a "real" job also.

Today I worked a full 8 hours with travel time down the
school getting the fall sports fields ready for use on
Monday.

bob
08-13-2000, 09:08 PM
I'd rather be a day or two behind from wet weather, than looking for work to do because of drought conditions.

Evan528
08-13-2000, 09:19 PM
i tighten my belts enough that my mower handles pretty dam good when its wet.

little green guy
08-13-2000, 09:55 PM
I know what you mean with the weather fireman, it's horrible. Sparta New Jersey got 14.7" of rain yesturday. The grass is growing more than it did this spring.

tslawn
08-13-2000, 10:20 PM
We've found that after every job, take your blower and blow off the belts until they're completely dry. Takes a little time from your already busy schedule but it really seems to help, unless of course you're running that mower on a huge property.

Stinger
08-13-2000, 10:20 PM
Hot as hell in central Texas, 100+ temps and no rain in months. Stage 2 water restrictions allow watering with sprinkler systems only one day a week, please send me some rain!

steveair
08-13-2000, 10:31 PM
Hello,

Wet is not the word!

We got 14 inches in sparta the other night (North jersey). I was going to finish a job but.....ya right. Can\'t even get there. All the roads are flooded out.

I attempted to drive there sat., but after sitting in a traffic jam for over 2 hours on rt. 15, the police came and closed the road. When they turned us around, had to drive my little s10 through a river 2 ft deep flowing over the high way. Felt the truck sliding from the current....Also, the bridge that they turned us around at, had water beginning to flow over the top of it. Now, that is the reason the road is closed.....the bridge is supposely gone.....

Luckily, they got no rain at all where my job was....whew. Had nightmares of getting there and seeing 800 sq ft of pavers all in a pile at the bottom of the yard. thank someone that didn\'t happen.

Now, sunday night, I am figuring how I am getting to my full time job tomorrow. Heard most roads are still closed, even rt. 80 in some spots!

To top things off, I have no water and no signs of it coming back.......the flood caused the reservoir, in sparta, to break open, and all the water to our town is now contaminated, or not even on........

Talk about wet, this year is ridiculous. Those global warming people can kiss my ass. This was the coolest july on record since 1923!

stay dry.....

steveair

[Edited by steveair on 08-14-2000 at 02:36 AM]

Runner
08-13-2000, 10:37 PM
Fireman, I've told someone else this somewhere in this forum and it will probably help you as well. Go to your automotive supply store and buy yourself a can of belt dressing.(about 3 bucks) When the belts are dry, squirt about a half inch is all of your belts on both the inner and outer(for idler) side. This will make your belts extremely tacky and extremely responsive. And HOLD ON!

Alan
08-13-2000, 11:38 PM
Hey Stone,, back this spring you told us all about how you won't work weekneds cuz you can make so much money at the strip with your drag bike. Whassamatter,, bike crap out on ya?

FIREMAN
08-14-2000, 04:06 PM
ALL I CAN SAY IS IF WANTED TO LIVE IN THE CONSTANT RAIN I'D MOVE TO SEATTLE.....LOL.....STEVEAIR, I SAW THW EFFECTS OF THAT RAIN FOR MYSELF , MY VOLUNTEER DEPT SENT SOME PEOPLE UP TO SPARTA TO HELP WITH THE EVACS AND OTHER PROBLEMS. THIS WEATHER IS INSANE, CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT THE FALL HAS IN STORE FOR US HERE IN JERSEY.

toddman35
08-14-2000, 05:01 PM
up here in Iowa we have had almost no rain since early july!!! it is so dry that the grass is about to die!!! i hear u guys down in texas, but its humid as hell her in IA. Send rain here too!

steveair
08-14-2000, 05:47 PM
Hello,

Just a quick note....

Started raining here again now......dams are starting to go again and roads are being shut down. I wish wet belts was the only problem I had. My concern now is how to put pontoons on my truck so that I can at least get to my job.......LOL.

lawrence stone
08-14-2000, 06:06 PM
alan wrote:

>Hey Stone,, back this spring you told us all about how you won't work weekneds cuz you can make so much money at the strip with your drag bike. Whassamatter,, bike crap out on ya?

No time for anything but mowing mowing and more mowing.
I just picked up a two field soccer complex that will be a
total of 5 fields next year.

That week I went to Bermuda set me back a bit also.
I have work scheduled for every day of the week.

Charles
08-14-2000, 07:18 PM
Texas, may get its wish for rain. A tropical storm has formed in the gulf. May soon turn into a hurricane. Hurricane warning have already been posted for 250 miles of the gulf coast. Hope it veers right toward SC in the form of a tropical storm.

Alan
08-14-2000, 08:57 PM
Well, our wet summer continues. I had a grade adn seed joba that I had hoped to do over the weekend. Heavy rain Friday night so I put off going on it until yesterday afternoon. Heavy soil, it was till too wet to rake out. Finally got on it this afternoon, got it pretty well York raked and partly hand raked by quitting time. Plan was to go back tomorrow. Plan got changed again, it has been raining steadily for about three hours now. So, no point going there tomorrow unless it comes off dry and windy to suck some of the water out of the soil. Some places today were pumping after a couple passes over them with the tractor, will be worse tomorrow unless things change radically. I just hope this wet stays with us until December,, THINK SNOW!!!

BRL
08-14-2000, 11:30 PM
andrews, If we could figure out how to send some down your way, we would. The funny thing is, all of us Nor'Easters that are complaining about all of this rain, were probably complaining last year about our drought. We just can't win when it comes to Mother Nature. The one thing that I heard & hope is true; the cool wet summers give way to cold snowy winters. SteveAir, glad to hear your only problem with the floods is trying to figure out the detours. I knew you were close to there and I hoped you were one of the lucky ones that didn't lose their house.

yardsmith
08-15-2000, 01:00 AM
Dittos on the belt dressing.
However, after alot of use they will glaze & become clogged from too much.
Check how much wear is on them; if the sides are worn down, it may be time to replace.

FIREMAN
08-15-2000, 03:14 AM
STEVEAIR,
YOU WORK AT AN AIRPORT RIGHT?...JUST GET ONE OF THE FLYBOYS TO STOP BY WITH A HELO....IT'LL BE FUN AND YOU WON'T HAVE ANY TRAFFIC PROBLEMS...LOL...JUST TRYING TO MAKE LIGHT OF REALLY SH***Y DEAL FOR ALL THOSE POOR PEOPLE IN SUSSEX COUNTY....SERIOUSLY GOOD LUCK

little green guy
08-15-2000, 08:22 PM
There was a big bright thing in the sky today and the sky was a different color today, it was blue(aahh (gasp)). Does anybody know what it was??

BRL
08-15-2000, 10:31 PM
LGG,
The grass that we're mowing isn't the kind for smoking! Leave those clippings on the lawn ;) Oh, it really was the sun. I thought I was hallucinating. Must have really been the sun if someone else noticed it too. Maybe it'll show up again tomorrow. Ahhh the burn on the back of my neck feels sooo good.

FIREMAN
08-15-2000, 10:41 PM
OH THATS RIGHT , WE CALL THAT THING THE SUN.......I COULDN'T THINK OF ITS NAME..LOL IT WAS NICE TO SEE

little green guy
08-15-2000, 11:07 PM
I had to take a shower when i got home today cause I didn't get one at work. Anyway hope the suns out tomorrow again too, but i'm sure where not that lucky. I covered up the patio i started today with plasic just incase.

tslawn
08-15-2000, 11:53 PM
I have to say that I feel for all of you going through a drought. We've had one the past 2 years here in Maryland and now we can't get rid of the rain. It's a catch 22 anyway you look at it. I lost big time last year because of the drought and now I can't keep up because of all the rain. And to think I praid for rain to keep me going through the season this year. I can't keep up with the grass let alone all the other projects my customers want me to do. I just wish we had a happy medium for EVERYBODY! GOOD LUCK TO ALL IN DROUGHT AND MONSOON!