PDA

View Full Version : All Designed Out

DVS Hardscaper
05-28-2012, 01:09 AM
16 years of doing designs has caught up to me. Be it hardscape designs or landscape designs. I just can not stand designing anymore.

I procrastinate and procrastinate before starting a design. And I start a design and work on it for 15 minutes and can't stand it any longer. I had some designs to work on last Friday. Weather was too awesome to be inside, so instead I go outside and do some mechanical work to some personal machines for the rest of the day!

Too small to hire a designer.

And not interested in subbing out designs for small jobs under $20k.

I'm not a desk person. Hate being inside.

stuvecorp
05-28-2012, 02:39 AM
I can sympathize some with you. I'm bored honestly, people really just want the same thing their neighbors have. Is it jobs you are going to do or is it more estimate type designing?

How do you keep growing creatively, or advancing your designing prowess?

DVS Hardscaper
05-28-2012, 09:45 AM
It's both, estimates and jobs that are mine for the taking.

I can do some nice designs. But I'm not a designer, I'm a contractor.

Posted via Mobile Device

jbailey52
05-28-2012, 10:48 AM
I could not agree more. But when the design sells I feel better. This is why I built a separate office in my house with access outside, windows, tv etc. now it's so comfortable it does make it easier.

zedosix
05-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Andrew, I felt the same way this weekend, sitting indoors because I promised a prospective client I would have a design for him by tuesday evening. I did it and I like the design I came up with, but my ideas are running out, and I don't want to be in here when the sun is shining and I have grass to cut and a million other things I rather be doing.....
My seadoo sat on the lift all weekend and the only time I rode it, the sun went behind the clouds. Damn.

Gotta ask though, do you hand draw or do you have a design program. That makes a big difference.

DVS Hardscaper
05-28-2012, 12:51 PM
I use an OLD design program. (planscape) i like it, It works well, but is very outdated.

maybe we should just do square and rectangular jobs
Posted via Mobile Device

PaperCutter
05-28-2012, 02:45 PM
If it's dragging you down, let it go. I realized that detailing drawings for construction, creating presentation packages, and design revisions were killing me. So I just hired an assistant, and that'll be her job while I get her up to speed on designing landscapes and doing permit plans. Now I can focus on conceptual designing and business development, which are the things I actually enjoy.

I would think the cutoff for subbing out a job would be $10k for hardscapes, $5k for plantings. A good designer can do some really cool stuff above that mark.

wurkn with amish
05-29-2012, 08:27 AM
I agree Paper cut.
Any job I know will be 10k or more I sub out to a designer. I dont have to think so much, they can give me renders to show the clients , and a scaled 2-d plan. Once I see their vision its easier to tweek to my tastes or the clients.

Lite4
05-29-2012, 07:26 PM
Oh man, I can completely appreciate this. I get so burned out on designing and pricing the same thing over and over again. Even if the job is there for me to take, I often find myself dragging my feet because the repetition of designing and preparing a bid is sooo boring. In addition to lighting, I have branched out into doing one-off creations that utizilize fire, water, stone, steel, light and fire (or various combinations of each). I like to build and create with my hands and once I get a really creative idea going, then it is a real pleasure to design and plan. Take lots of thinking breaks, get outside by yourself so you can brainstorm. Seek inspiration from other sources (pics of other designs) that might spark an idea you can develop and turn into something unique with a high cool factor.

BrendonTW
05-30-2012, 03:30 PM
Can totally understand your feelings. I do not enjoy the designing/estimating part either. Too small to hire a designer as well. I would love to know where I can find a designer to sub work to. Any ideas where I can be checking?

I too find myself trying to get outside and work on equipment or get some time out with the guys - as often as possible. The day my business is self-sustainable, I will most certainly just be a crewman out working in the field.

PaperCutter
05-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Brendon - ask at your local stone yards, etc. There's one stone yard in northern VA that refers contractors looking for designers to me and a couple of other designers in the area. You can also check with the local nursery and landscape association, and possibly apld.org. There's bound to be someone local you can work with.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
05-30-2012, 09:15 PM
I love designing...than after you spent 100 hours sitting banging your head on the desk they can't afford it right now or it is to much. Well I asked for a budget. I like the designing I just hate the writing of the proposal etc.

Gr8WhiteNorth
05-31-2012, 01:07 AM
I couldn't agree more with you guys. I design and estimate full time and can't stand it. I look for every excuse to get out of the office and avoid it. The pile just keeps getting higher and higher. The worst thing is that if I don't get the done on time, the crews run out of work and have nothing to do.

I have 2 foremen that have been trained for it and would step in at the drop of a hat. The problem is that I can't fill their positions to lead their crews.

Such a dilemma