PDA

View Full Version : Rewiring trailer with electric brakes. rewiring questions...

TurfWarrior
05-28-2012, 01:12 AM
im rewiring an open trailer with tamdem axles both have electric brakes. each has two wires coming from it. they had the 7 round standard conductor wire on the trailer. I'm replacing the whole run with a new one. i thought there would just be one wire and it would be the blue one. obviously not so im guessing they have to be grounded??? is that what the other/second wire is for? it looks like they used the red as the electric brake and and the blue for the ground. but the blue for the ground was grounded to the frame and i think it went back to the male end connection. dont remember if it was connected in the plug or not. i have to double check cant think right now maybe the blue was used for the main ground but should be the white one. they had the colors all backwards. what they did was cut the black jacket back so they can just tap the electric brake lines into the main line. I plan on keeping the main line uncut until the back end and run the lines back to the brakes. is that ok? so another question is are the two wires on each axle interchangeable where it doesnt matter what wire has the power the other end just needs to be grounded??. the ground can be tapped into to the white one or can i just ground straight to the frame? let me know just want to make sure:usflag: thanks

i plan i using the colors like this to switch them to the correct way

blue- power for electric brakes
white- ground
yellow - left turn
green- right turn
brown- running lights
red - constant power im not gonna use
black- 12v im not gonna use either

knox gsl
05-28-2012, 01:22 AM
The 2 wires going to each wheel are interchangeable. One is negatve one positive but doesn't matter which. I suggest using a trailer terminal box mounted to the tounge. Then buy a 6' pigtail to go from the box to your truck. Homerun every light and each side of brakes from the terminal box. Also don't tape wires together use solderless terminals. The 12 volt supply coming from the truck should be used to charge your breakaway battery.
Posted via Mobile Device

TurfWarrior
05-28-2012, 02:21 AM
thanks. sorry not gonna home run anything. its for a friend actually. he wants it simple doesnt want the breakaway connected. then negative end for the electric brakes where should i ground it right to the frame or need to tie it into the white ground wire in the harness?

knox gsl
05-28-2012, 10:40 AM
You can do either or both with both being the best way.
Posted via Mobile Device

dieselss
05-28-2012, 06:56 PM
To be picky,,, blue is reverse, red is brakes, black is 12v power. I would run a gnd to each brake as well. Don't just gnd to the frame, run the wires
Posted via Mobile Device

TurfWarrior
05-29-2012, 05:14 PM
when ground to the frame for anything running lights whatever... after you get the metal bare. i use die electric grease and stainless steel nuts bolts washers what else can you do?

knox gsl
05-29-2012, 07:05 PM
when ground to the frame for anything running lights whatever... after you get the metal bare. i use die electric grease and stainless steel nuts bolts washers what else can you do?

Use the star washers that dig into the metal.