PDA

View Full Version : Just pull poly, is that service offered???

ple_1969
05-28-2012, 05:38 PM
Hello - I'm just a homeowner installing a system pulling water from a river. I've gotten some real good advice from some of my postings... thanks!

My system is going to be installed in 2 phases, the back (1,000 feet of poly) and the front approx 600'. This long weekend I trenched and started to install & back fill the 1.24" poly pipe. WOW what a pain in the ass!!! I only got 1/2 way done.

I'm rethinking the front and I'm curious to see if I can just get the pipe pulled. Is this a service that you guys offer? Before I start to make some calls I want to see if this is something that is frowned upon in the industry.

Thanks,
Pete

DanaMac
05-28-2012, 06:05 PM
Some companies will, some won't. I've done it. But then I got the many phone calls of "how do I do this" and "how do I do that". I should have charged for phone time. But if you're willing to give it a whirl, someone might do it. For the right price.

Wet_Boots
05-28-2012, 06:07 PM
It can be done, but as a standalone job, you are kind of at the tail of the priority line, as no added value comes from pulling pipe for someone, but the puller of poly still gets all the risks.

BPS##
05-28-2012, 06:08 PM
Rent a pipe puller. You are doing the rest.

Wet_Boots
05-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Pipe pullers for rent are not likely to be found anywhere in the area.

bx24
05-28-2012, 06:26 PM
I pull pipe in MA for $175 an hour...You can pull A LOT of poly in an hour. Hell, I did over 2,000 ft in my yard in 1 hour. You call dig safe and I pull the pipe. Most time dig safe is 70% correct.

I pull it a 8.25 mph on my kubota.

Some will some will not since they want the complete job...suckers.

Wet_Boots
05-28-2012, 06:35 PM
in North Jersey, figure more like $400 minimum

Mike Leary
05-28-2012, 08:13 PM
in North Jersey, figure more like $400 minimum

Per foot? :rolleyes:

BPS##
05-28-2012, 08:14 PM

Why is this?

Soil conditions?

Mike Leary
05-28-2012, 08:18 PM
Who the hell would pull pipe (bought by others) in the first place? :dizzy:

ple_1969
05-28-2012, 08:19 PM

Hi Boots, we actually have a place the does rent the Ditch Witch 410 SX and the Ditch Witch 255 SX however you're looking close to $300 for the rental for the 225. Plus I'll have a large learning curve. I'm thinking for around that price I can bring someone in. I'll call digsafe and supply the poly.

Wet_Boots
05-28-2012, 08:30 PM
the 255 is good for your area only if it comes with a hook blade that is not worn down - the 410 is going to be more idiot-proof, as long as you don't run it on the side of a hill (tip-overs)

Irrigation Contractor
05-28-2012, 08:49 PM
We do not pull pipe rather we trench due to all the rock in this area, but the same situation applies.

We get calls like:
- can I pay you to consult and instruct me?
- can I buy the materials from you? (they will want you to warranty)
- can you trench my yard and provide a design?

Several reason apply to why we do not do any of these, but the #1 reason is we are too busy doing what we are supposed to be doing. We do not need this type of work and it always ends up setting your self up to loose money or gain a ton of headaches.

These type of people do not realize the costs involved JUST to send a crew, truck and machine to a job. Then add in the risks, as someone pointed out already One-Call is 70% of the time accurate with locates.

This would be the job where you throw a chain or have equipment break down. The customer is not going to want to pay for the down time. I do not care what contract you have agreed upon, if you damage something and their is a pissing match in the end it is difficult to collect invoices for the amount this work would cost.

In the end, what is really in it long term for the contractor? You are asking for constant phone calls, emails etc. Once you have been paid, if anything does go wrong, you know what the outcome could or will be.

If times are tough and you need the work, I would definitely come up with a rate where you are going to make some serious money, then tack on another 20% for possible headaches:dizzy:

When I get these calls, the only thing I think of is:walking::walking::walking:

greenmonster304
05-28-2012, 09:38 PM
I will do it once in a while. More when I was starting out trying to keep the machine busy to make the payments. Now I do it more for electricians conduit that irrigation pipe.

I did it once for a landscaper who I sort of knew who was trying to make a go at irrigation, it did not end well. I showed up, we flagged the site together then he left me there to pull all the pipe with his Latino guy. I showed his guy how everything went and called the owner and said I told your guy how to put it together and if you have questions call me. Well some things were lost in translation and he missed a cross connection and a feed that needed to be hand dug a few feet. He was too proud to call me and ask for help so instead he just bad mouthed me to anyone he could saying that I f**ked him.

bobw
05-28-2012, 10:55 PM
I've done a couple of pull only jobs in my career, but I wouldn't do them again. Low margin, non-strategic customers.... just no real incentive to want to do that kind of work. Around here, the rental houses quit renting plows as the maintenance and repair issues from non-professionals using them made the deal financially unappealing.

To the OP: Call around, somebody may be willing to pull for you, but if they are, you best wonder why....

DanaMac
05-28-2012, 11:06 PM
I tried to price it accordingly, above and beyond my normal rate. No parts mark up and probably not a recurring service customer. So I priced higher than normal.
Posted via Mobile Device

ple_1969
05-29-2012, 07:22 AM
All - Thanks for all the feedback. Might try to rent a puller or just stay with the trencher.

Pete

CAPT Stream Rotar
05-29-2012, 08:11 AM
If I were you I would rent that 410..

Learn for yourself, ask this place questions when you get stuck..You will get it if you don't give up and it looks like you won't give up...My best advice is with tough pulling a good blade/grip and a high throttle will always treat you right...

Good luck man....I'm glad to hear your doing it in poly.

Ramairfreak98ss
05-31-2012, 09:36 AM
I'm rethinking the front and I'm curious to see if I can just get the pipe pulled. Is this a service that you guys offer? Before I start to make some calls I want to see if this is something that is frowned upon in the industry.

Thanks,
Pete

Im way south of your area.. but you said your running 1000ft? damn! I don't even think our ditch witch would pull that far... a roll is 300ft and unless your going darn straight, i cant see it pulling 1.25" poly pipe nearly that far... maybe some of the other guys with a heavier tractor drive type machine could chime in... i'd worry that anywhere around that length, the pipe would keep breaking near the machine due to stress.

I'd say a 4" trencher would work best, then just a tractor blade or something to backfill and drive on it to pack it down as best you could or else it would get expensive

ple_1969
05-31-2012, 12:21 PM
Im way south of your area.. but you said your running 1000ft? damn! I don't even think our ditch witch would pull that far... a roll is 300ft and unless your going darn straight, i cant see it pulling 1.25" poly pipe nearly that far... maybe some of the other guys with a heavier tractor drive type machine could chime in... i'd worry that anywhere around that length, the pipe would keep breaking near the machine due to stress.

I'd say a 4" trencher would work best, then just a tractor blade or something to backfill and drive on it to pack it down as best you could or else it would get expensive

It was 1000' feet of total poly pipe. 5 lateral trenches and conections to the 2 valve manifolds off the main line. Used a little over 3 coils. That was for the back of the house. I need 3 laterals run in the front of the house, each run approxmate 150 feet then lines are needed from the laterals to the valve manifolds.

Pete

kludgemonkey
05-31-2012, 01:06 PM
Just head over to the bad part of town and ride around for bit. I bet you can find a girl that would be willing to pull that pipe for fairly cheap. If your lucky, you might even get her to plant some tulips for you,
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
05-31-2012, 06:18 PM
Out of curiosity, you guys pump mud when you pull?

Mdirrigation
06-01-2012, 10:13 PM
I pull pipe for others all the time , $ 1.75 a foot with a $ 600 minimum , plus travel time both ways . i pull for electricians , plumbers running lines to piers , and even my competition . i dont touch a shovel . If its for a sprinkler system tell me where you want the pipe ,I offer no advice at all .

greenmonster304
06-02-2012, 07:14 AM
I pull pipe for others all the time , $ 1.75 a foot with a $ 600 minimum , plus travel time both ways . i pull for electricians , plumbers running lines to piers , and even my competition . i dont touch a shovel . If its for a sprinkler system tell me where you want the pipe ,I offer no advice at all .

Are you the only guy in your area that plows? My brothers nursery is on the eastern shore and no one plows over there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mdirrigation
06-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Are you the only guy in your area that plows? My brothers nursery is on the eastern shore and no one plows over there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Everyone on west side of the bridge plows , I have about 20 on the eastern shore and I plowed all of them . Guys that trench around here dont last long trenching , they either buy a plow or get out of the business . Where is his nursery?

greenmonster304
06-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Everyone on west side of the bridge plows , I have about 20 on the eastern shore and I plowed all of them . Guys that trench around here dont last long trenching , they either buy a plow or get out of the business . Where is his nursery?

He has 20 acres in Federalsburg and 50 acres in Hurlock.
Posted via Mobile Device

Stuttering Stan
06-04-2012, 12:29 AM
Im at the southern tip of the Eastern Shorelines and plow. Personal preference. All the DW 410's have a plow and trencher
Posted via Mobile Device

Mdirrigation
06-04-2012, 09:56 PM
He has 20 acres in Federalsburg and 50 acres in Hurlock.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hurlock , aint much there , but those that live there like it , definatly quiet .Lots of mosquitoes.

greenmonster304
06-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Hurlock , aint much there , but those that live there like it , definatly quiet .Lots of mosquitoes.

yeah there isn't much going on there but the land is dirt cheap.

jcsmith
06-04-2012, 10:32 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

There are a some plows around the Eastern Shore of Maryland (Salisbury) and lower Delaware (Seaford).