PDA

View Full Version : Sod job for next year

rvsuper
12-26-2002, 10:57 PM
Hey guys,
I was wondering which sod would work the best in basically all-day shade, irrigated, but really just some sun in the morning and late after noon. Which seed blend in sod is the best for shade?
Thanks,

dougaustreim
12-27-2002, 09:43 AM
Here in Eastern SD, I have never found a commercially available sod that worked well in the shade. All of the cultured sod is going to be pretty much 100% Blue grass. Not very shade tolerant. Fescue doesn;t make very good sod.

I would suggest seeding the area with a good shade seed mix. High fescue content. With a mix the species that are best adapted will dominate. With a one species turf there is no alternative to take over and fill in if one species doesn't thrive.

Doug
Austreim Landscaping

baddboygeorge
12-27-2002, 01:59 PM
sorry buddy sounds like ya dont know very much about sod . fescue is the best by far there is no comparison to bluegrass.fescue can handle heat an drought well. bluegrass is very tempremental an cant handle alot of stress. i only use fecue an have been for 17 years an havent had any trouble at all .by far fescue is the best!!

rvsuper
12-27-2002, 02:45 PM
So does fescue sod work best in shade? What kind? I was thinking maybe red fescue?

baddboygeorge
12-27-2002, 02:58 PM
fescue is the best all around hands down here in KY i use several different types falcon, mustang& millenium i like all three an have always have had great luck with the three any more questions feel free to call me sincerely george

dougaustreim
12-27-2002, 03:18 PM
Sorry, I forgot about the geography difference for some of you. I was talking about creeping fescue. Turf type tall fescue is not a ver desirable turf for up north. Tall fescue sod would not ve readily available up here. The original question came from less than 100 miles from me. I'm sorry that I confused people. Up here we don't even think about tall fescue, when we talk fescue we're refering to creeping fescue. I stand by my original advice, there is not going to be any readily available sod that will be shade tolerant for THIS area

Doug Austreim
Austreim Landscaping

rvsuper
12-27-2002, 06:15 PM
Doug,
Do you know of any sod farms around the Sioux Falls area?

dougaustreim
12-27-2002, 06:41 PM
Yes, there are three, actually they all grow their sod down in the Parker Hurley Meckling area. We used to get sod from Minn. we found that the peat based sod did not work well around here at all, but we have found that even with their mineral (soil based) sod, it does not perform as well as the SD sod, the closer the soil types between the sod farm and the new lawn the better. SD sod will cost you more, even with the extra freight from Minn, but it is worth it for a quality job. Keep one thing in mind though for the long term, a good seeded job will always surpass a sodded lawn

Doug Austreim
Austreim Landscaping Inc

dougaustreim
12-27-2002, 06:43 PM
Sorry, I forgot that i need to give you the names. E-mail me your e-mail address and I'll get you the phone numbers next week.

austreim@brookings.net

rvsuper
12-28-2002, 01:25 AM
Check your e-mail.