PDA

View Full Version : Chain Kits

rvsuper
12-27-2002, 12:56 AM
How well do chain kits work for enhancing stripes? I am planning on making one this winter for my 42" Proline. Anyone have any pics, ideas, advice?

Thanks,

Brieldo
12-27-2002, 02:42 AM
go to the upper right corner of your screen and click on "Search" THen do a search for striping kits...

odin
12-27-2002, 04:54 PM
Chains do a fair job not as good as a roller in by experience with exmarks and scag mowers ive used em on.

rvsuper
12-28-2002, 05:51 PM
Here's the furthest I got today. I think I have to make the chain a little longer, anyone else think so?

lawncare3
12-28-2002, 08:08 PM
I think I have to make the chain a little longer, anyone else think so?
Yes, but not so long that you trip or there might be some really big problems

rvsuper
12-28-2002, 08:19 PM
The picture is of my Ariens RER that I use at home. I am going to try it out on here first to see if I would like the effect of chains on my WB. I am going to go back out tonit to finish it....will post pictures later.

rvsuper
12-28-2002, 10:48 PM
Finished it tonight:

Willdro
12-29-2002, 11:11 AM
I have had the chains on my Dixie Chopper for two years and really love them. I attached a threaded rod to my brackets and slid the chains over the rod. Secure rod to brackets with threaded nuts to keep rod and chains from moving. The chains drag the ground about 4 inches.
Mount them up under the mower as far as possible. The chains next to the wheels are shorter so the wheels won't run over them. They don't look as good setting back too far.

rvsuper
12-29-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Willdro
They don't look as good setting back too far.

What do you mean?

Willdro
12-29-2002, 08:44 PM
Setting back too far! I mean setting back to the end of the motor Guard on the rear. The closer they are to the axle, the better it looks. They just need to be the wideth of you axle, between the tires.

Bill Davis
12-30-2002, 10:00 AM
You dont think that the chains on the back are going to get caught by the tires when backing up? just a thought.

rvsuper
12-30-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Bill Davis
You dont think that the chains on the back are going to get caught by the tires when backing up? just a thought.

Nope. I cut the the end links of each end 5 links shorter than all the others. I tried reversing in all the possible ways there are, and it hasn't got caught.

Willdro
12-30-2002, 07:24 PM
My chains are shorter at the tires also, never ran over them.
I got the ideal from Eric 2 years ago. He always was a great help about Dixie Choppers. There should be pictures on his web site.
I surely miss him!

Soupy
12-31-2002, 01:37 AM
I made mine the same way as you did and it worked out pretty good. I cut a couple of links off of the chains close to the tires, but I still run over them every once in a while. It doesn't hurt anything though. It only hits one link, so it doesnt get wraped up or jerk the chain.

Here's a picture. By the way I doubled my chains up like you did too. it saved the amount of bolts and cuts I had to make for each chain.

Soupy
12-31-2002, 01:41 AM
Forget that last picture. It isn't mine. I was thinking it was the picture I took of my setup, but after looking at it closer I relized it was a picture I got from someone else to see how the DC kit attached to the Mower.

I'll try to find the correct photo and repost.