PDA

View Full Version : Top Soil in New Bed

BenThere Lawncare
05-29-2012, 10:36 PM
I've got a job installing a new bed for a client which includes tearing out sod, bringing in a layer of top soil, a bunch of new plantings and then mulching as well. I do a lot of mulching and bed maintenance but i've never brought in top soil. Just trying to get a good idea what to expect for labor to spread 6 yards of top soil. My rate to spread mulch is $45 per yd not including materials. Can I expect top soil to be more or less difficult to spread then mulch? I have a 16' dump trailer ill be working out of and only have to move the soil about 100ft. Whats about the going rate for a yard delivered and spread? I will be getting the soil for $28 a yard.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks

grandview (2006)
05-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Just did a 6 yd topsoil and planting last week. 2 of us built a bed around a patio and took about an hour to do.

cgaengineer
05-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Big difference between top soil and mulch...soil is much heavier and harder to move. Any reason why you must add topsoil to the bed? I usually cut bed edges and leave beds at existing grade. Once you cover with mulch they will be slightly higher than existing.

Are you moving with wheel barrow?
Posted via Mobile Device

Creative Cuts
05-29-2012, 10:44 PM
i charge same price as mulch, but i do charge more for stone

BenThere Lawncare
05-29-2012, 10:45 PM
Once we cut the sod out the soil was fairly poor and not ideal for plantings. We also wanted to make sure the grade slopes away from the house to prevent water from settling near the foundation.

cgaengineer
05-29-2012, 10:47 PM
Once we cut the sod out the soil was fairly poor and not ideal for plantings. We also wanted to make sure the grade slopes away from the house to prevent water from settling near the foundation.

Gotcha...
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
05-30-2012, 08:47 AM
Topsoil should be tilled in and mixed with the existing dirt... then it has to be raked out to terraform the drainage field... typically the use of compost is best for these situations unless you need to drastically raise the ground or change the texture of what's there...