PDA

View Full Version : grass in the street

turfguy
08-13-2000, 09:58 PM
DOES ANYBODY TRY TO CLEAN THE STREET AFTER LOADING THE MACHINE BACK ON THE TRAILER? WITH ALL THE WET WEATHER WE HAVE HAD IN THE NORTHEAST EVERYWHERE I GO I LEAVE GRASS \"COOKIES\".....CUSTOMER LAWNS LOOK GOOD BUT CLUMPING IS TERIBLE. HAVE TRYED TO USE THE BLOWER BUT IT JUST AINT CUTIN IT........ANY THOUGHTS?

bob
08-13-2000, 10:06 PM
My back pack blower will usually take care of any wet,clumpy grass left in the street. If I'm not careful, sometimes it will peel the pavement right off! EB6200!

Eric ELM
08-13-2000, 11:18 PM
Bob: I got our EB6200 for this reason, wet grass on wet pavement. It does the job, but leaves the pavement. :)

bob
08-13-2000, 11:52 PM
Eric, When I don't want to peel the pavement, I use the Shindaiwa EB630!

Eric ELM
08-13-2000, 11:57 PM
Good one Bob. That made me :)

thelawnguy
08-14-2000, 03:54 PM
Out of necessity, I was mowing in the rain today (came in an hour ago, sorry I dont do lightning :o )Anyway, what I did was, shut the blades down while stationary in the street, then scoop the mess up with the snow shovel I brought along just for this purpose. Either dump it in the storm drain or in the can in the truck bed. The rest will wash away, after a quick once-over with the blower.

The quantity that drops from my mower, will still be there next week even if I try to blow it.

Scraper
08-14-2000, 04:00 PM
down the storm drain???? Don't you realize that is ILLEGAL in most areas? Not to mention looks pretty shoddy!

thelawnguy
08-14-2000, 04:13 PM
You must be thinking of something else.

I should have said "catch basin". The rectangular things with a grate over it. Looks shoddy? You never see it. Only thing illegal is dumping oil and such. They get cleaned out twice a year around here anyways, filled with sand and road debris.

Where do you think it ends up anyways, if you dont pick it up (i.e. homeowners, richard2's leaves, etc ;) )

[Edited by thelawnguy on 08-14-2000 at 07:15 PM]

Scraper
08-14-2000, 04:54 PM
That's still a little different than just dumping it in there. Where do you think it ends up? Polluting some creek? High nitrogen content is not good for streams. Even catch basins empty to somewhere. No offense, but you wouldn't see me blatantly dumping something that I can throw on my trailer just as easily to dipose of at home. I will admit I am guilty of blowing some clipping along the curb into the storm drain which couldn't get back over the curb edge. :)

P.S. LG...I like your homepage!

Getmow
08-14-2000, 07:19 PM
Around here it is illeagl to put ANYTHING in the storm drain.

thelawnguy
08-14-2000, 10:22 PM
I mentioned the storm drain cuz I had one acct today where the drain happened to be adjacent to the trailer...for the record I dont make a habit of using them as my personal dumpster. Im not losing sleep over a scoop of mower "cookies".