PDA

View Full Version : what to install first? sitting wall or patio

ttech
05-30-2012, 01:48 PM
What would I install first the sitting wall or the patio? Is there a gap between the two for drainage? Would I install steps from the sliding door onto the patio or would the steps be installed first?

TomG
05-30-2012, 06:25 PM
99% of the time we install the steps and sitting wall before the patio, but there is no "golden rule." Every job is different. Pictures would help you get better responses here.

8inchBlock
05-30-2012, 11:24 PM
What would I install first the sitting wall or the patio? Is there a gap between the two for drainage? Would I install steps from the sliding door onto the patio or would the steps be installed first?

it installs the sitting wall first or it gets the hose again.

GreenI.A.
06-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Steps built on the patio? Are you talking about steps made from block or from wood? If made from block our steps would always be installed first. We do the patio last. The biggest reason we build the walls and stairs first is for convenience. This way we can get the loaders in everywhere for back filling and moving pallets of block. If the patio was laid first we would be stuck carrying/wheel barrowing all the wall/stair materials to where needed.

Gilmore.Landscaping
06-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Walls and step first, usually there are some buried or partially buried courses of wall stone so that would undermine your pavers if you did them first.

And grade the patio away from the wall so you don't need to leave anything for drainage. Unless it your only option then install some kind of strip drain, which should only be a last resort.

tatmkr
06-04-2012, 10:03 PM
Walls and step first, usually there are some buried or partially buried courses of wall stone so that would undermine your pavers if you did them first.

And grade the patio away from the wall so you don't need to leave anything for drainage. Unless it your only option then install some kind of strip drain, which should only be a last resort.

Since your seat wall has to start below the natural ground level then you will always have buried like Gilmore is saying...unless your going to be one of THOSE guys that trys to build it on top of 12" of patio base....and yes I have seen that :hammerhead:

Most of my steps are just simple 4-6' radius half circles. I like to build them after the pavers are laid, but it depends on the blocks you use and the size.