PDA

View Full Version : Service Directory

MikeLT1Z28
12-27-2002, 02:28 PM
Just wondering how hard it'd be to have a service directory for everyone registered here. Those who want to be in it of course. i'm sure since we have the homeowner section there are people looking and wondering who all does work in their area.

Just a thought! Everyone have a safe and happy new year (and maybe it'll warm up soon!)

Joel B.
12-27-2002, 03:40 PM
Good idea. I've often thought it would be nice to have a list of LCOs who would be willing to help each other out in an emergency (snowplowing too). The list could include name, address and phone number (s) so if you get into a pickle and need some help you could just give someone on the list a call. The list would be voluntary, of course.

What do you think? Administrators?

Joel B.

PR0 TURF
12-27-2002, 04:09 PM
I like both ideas...the service directory & the list of LCO's willing to help others in a jam. Sign me up!!

C4chris70
12-27-2002, 04:30 PM
I would be willing to give it a try.

rkbrown
12-27-2002, 05:13 PM
Count me in !!! :D

devildog
12-27-2002, 05:35 PM
ditto....

burninbill
12-27-2002, 05:41 PM
That is a great idea!! You can count me in for sure...

Jon

FrankenScagMachines
12-27-2002, 07:58 PM
You can count me in on both! I like the idea and would be willing to pitch in to help a fellow LCO if needed. Also like the idea of the directory for customers.
Eric

Wesley's Lawn
12-28-2002, 01:03 AM
I agree you can count me in on both i think thats a great idea.

bilbo7021
12-28-2002, 01:10 AM
ok, but how?

Wesley's Lawn
12-28-2002, 02:01 AM
Maybe admin should start up something for us.

crawdad
12-28-2002, 06:53 AM
Don't give admin more work to do, they're busy enough...censoring "dirty" words, making sure no-one puts in any ebay ads,or things for sale, thereby threatening to put the sponsors out of business, etc.
Perhaps a few members could take time out from calling each other scrubs, and put this thing together. How can we weed out the scrubs? We wouldn't want them in there!! Maybe put up proof of non-scrub-ness. Not easy, since we can't agree on exactly what is a scrub. Truck older, or rusty, or with the wrong equipment in it...prices too low, uses a push mower...
Crawdad

MikeLT1Z28
12-28-2002, 06:58 PM
hmm, maybe we could check them by post count, or not list newbies crawdad...

i'd be willing to tackle putting the list together if the site is willing to host it.

admins?

MikeLT1Z28
12-28-2002, 07:08 PM
i was thinking about doing it in a format like this:

Company Name / State / County / City/Town or Closest Town / Phone Number / Email Address

something to that affect, maybe in excel or something. possibly by username on here too.

bubble boy
12-28-2002, 07:19 PM
or one could just use the yellow pages, local newspaper, google, local board of trade, etc to achieve the same result.

MikeLT1Z28
12-28-2002, 07:23 PM
this list would be for home users or site browsers looking for someone in their area though.

FrankenScagMachines
12-28-2002, 08:18 PM
Also list their website if available. Well we know not to put the Lawn Choupique/Chopper in it!! ROFLMAO... well Mike, here you go for my info:

Cutting Edge Lawn Care/Indiana/Bartholomew/Columbus/812-378-9729/eric@cuttingedgelawncare.biz/www.cuttingedgelawncare.biz

Also I would put in the owner's name, mine is Eric Canady.
Thanks,
Eric

Wesley's Lawn
12-29-2002, 03:55 AM
Well maybe admin could put in a link for this site, I found it a while back and put an add on there it was free and i figured what the heck and there was no listings in my area for any LCO'S.

Now crawdad im not slammin you but am i a scrub cause i drive an old 86 pickup with a little bit of rust and some scratches and dings. I got the truck from my dad i didnt pay a thing for it and im going to use it tell i have money for a new truck i could go buy a better one right now but I dont want to cause when i would drive it to school (im only 17) it would get keyed, beat up on because its new like all the kids cars there that are new. I mean if it works and it doesnt look all that good does that mean im a scrub. Now i know image is really important but i have senn guys around here and so has my dad that have had the same old beat up trucks but they pull really nice trailers with new equipment on them and they got the really good paying accounts. But there are some cases where that is true but like me I got it and I have it, it works, it looks decent so why would I be a scrub because of it.

crawdad
12-29-2002, 06:51 AM
I was kidding about scrubs, though I suspect most others are not.
MikeLT suggested checking post count...What if a "scrub" stays up all night posting? He becomes a non-scrub at a certain post count? Come on folks, this scrub shite has gone far enough. It's bad enough the public thinks we are a bunch of idiots that are doing this because we can't hold a "real" job. I have never called anyone a scrub, I wave at other LCO's and I have noticed that if I have my Scag with me, I get more return waves than when I have my old Gravely.
I have seen some very good posts by "newbies." If you want to make this list, you are going to have to realize some "scrubs" are going to get on it. Also, realize that no matter how big you say your company is, and that's all we know about you is what you say, someone else is bigger and thinks you are a newbie or a scrub. You don't have any employees? Or, you only run 3 crews? Small-timers...
One more thing, Wesley, don't be surprised if your post is edited or gone when you go looking for it, as the admin here doesn't like to put links for other green industry websites. They don't like competition, they think they may lose advertising dollars.
So go ahead, make your list, but watch out for letting "scrubs" in. Wesley, you say you are a scrub, because your truck is an 86, well I have a rusty 86, but it's broke down, so I drive my 85, so I must be a scrub, too. Oh, wait, I bought a 95 a couple days ago, so, when I drive that one, I'm not a scrub. Or do I stay a scrub until I get rid of the old trucks? You folks with only one truck, are you scrubs? I get so confused...
:confused:
Crawdad

crawdad
12-29-2002, 09:19 AM
And another thing...I bought my 86 pickup new in 86 to carry my then-new Gravely. It is now 2002 and the truck has been "rode hard, and put up wet." If that makes me a scrub, exactly what year did I attain scrub-ness? Well, I have another truck, just got her the other day. So I reckon I have once again given up my scrubby ways. All lawns are five bucks more this season.
Crawdad payup

David Shaw
12-29-2002, 10:04 AM
Okay I clicked on the wrong stinkin button. As I said I am definitely a newbie to commercial lawn care. So maybe some guys would want to leave someone like me out. But I can see how this could help a guy trying to get started and do it right. I would love to be in such a directory. Dave

1MajorTom
12-29-2002, 11:39 AM
Crawdad:
Are you unhappy here at Lawnsite? :confused:
Is someone twisting your arm and forcing you to stop in here each day at this free site? :dizzy:
I could be wrong but I feel you are taking little jabs at us?

Mike, I'll bring this thread to Chuck's attention. He may not have been aware of this thread, and maybe he can give you some input.

Joel B.
12-29-2002, 05:05 PM
I emailed the administrator about an "Emergency help list" but haven't heard back yet. Shoud we just start two threads, one for a "Service Directory" and one for an "Emergency Help List" ourselves?

What do you think?

Joel B.

crawdad
12-29-2002, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by 1MajorTom
Crawdad:
Are you unhappy here at Lawnsite? :confused:
Is someone twisting your arm and forcing you to stop in here each day at this free site? :dizzy:
I could be wrong but I feel you are taking little jabs at us?

Mike, I'll bring this thread to Chuck's attention. He may not have been aware of this thread, and maybe he can give you some input.
I love it here, I just wish people would take it easy on each other, instead of worrying about who is/isn't a "scrub." Have you ever seen me call anyone a scrub, other than myself in this one thread?
What possible reason would I have to take "jabs' at anyone here? Has anyone ever given me reason to do so?
Sorry for making you dizzy :dizzy:
Crawdad
I really did get a truck. How do you like her?

Joel B.
12-29-2002, 11:47 PM
Does anyone know how to post so that the thread stays at the top of the board and doesn't get lost? It would be nice to have the list thread always at the top for easy access.

What do you think?

Joel B.

MacLawnCo
12-30-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Joel B.
Does anyone know how to post so that the thread stays at the top of the board and doesn't get lost? It would be nice to have the list thread always at the top for easy access.

What do you think?

Joel B.

only moderators can do that, and this idea is not important enough to do that to. BTW, if it is BUMPED, it will not show up in the new post search.

Joel B.
12-30-2002, 07:16 PM
only moderators can do that, and this idea is not important enough to do that to. BTW, if it is BUMPED, it will not show up in the new post search.

Who says it is not important enough? Plowsite.com seems to think it is. There are already 53 responses to my idea of an "Emergency Help list".

Joel B.

MikeLT1Z28
01-01-2003, 02:17 PM
i was wondering myself if someone could sticky it. i guess we'd just need one voluntary list and if anyone gets called about being backup for someone, worst thing they can say is no.