PDA

View Full Version : Truck advice

GHL
05-30-2012, 10:35 PM
Hey guys, I have a 2005 F150 XL extended cab work truck (base options, 8', bed, automatic trans, 4x2) with the 5.4. It has been used as a work truck since the day it came off the lot to replace the previous 150 and now after several years and 150k it may be time to consider a new one. I say this because I am having 1 major issue with it, it sounds like a diesel! From what I have been told something has gone wrong with the lifters possibly, another suggestion was an issue with the cam, but regardless it misses when backing up sometimes and has done it a few times in drive as well. It has lived up well to the Built Ford Though name, so what I'm looking for advice on is should I have a new/used engine dropped in or is it time to trade it in for a new ecoboost or F250? Everything else on the truck works as it should and it has seen regular maintenance, but being in Ohio it does have some body / frame rust. So any experience / advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Tim

MR-G
05-31-2012, 09:18 AM
we have a 98 f150 with 200k....no rust here in florida but had encountered the same type of problem at 130k or so...turned out to be a fairly large chuncks of carbon had built up and the broke off and was lodged in exhaust ports...noise always went away when you push on the gas and sometimes would cause engine to hesitate or stumble at lower speeds...removed both manifols and cleaned out carbon....no more problems...also want to check the EGR ports as ours had carbon chunks in them as well.....

USAProLawnCare
06-30-2012, 10:15 PM
Speaking along the lines of carbon build up, maybe consider doing a couple rounds of sea-foam.. may fix the problem.

70marlin
09-12-2012, 07:25 PM
If your bottom line will support it, new truck! write it off, as a biz expense. there's a lot of great 250's to buy.