PDA

View Full Version : more time on managing!!

baddboygeorge
12-27-2002, 01:34 PM
i really love this profession an that has what has kept me in this for 19 years .i have been on my own for 8 years an have worked my tail off getting my company to where it is now . somewhere along this long trail of success i have now decided i need to put more of my time into managing things than out there laboring everyday. but that is what i love is to be out in the field with my men working hard . that is all i have ever known so this is gonna be a tough transfer but i know i am at a point that this is what is needed to continue to grow . if anyone has made this transfer let me know how it went i want to hear your input on the positive / negative side . thanks george

rodfather
12-27-2002, 01:43 PM
I don't think you can just do it all at once...but rather over a period of time. That's what I am now doing after 9 years of this business (using my brain more and my back less).

And my signicant other half agrees too.

baddboygeorge
12-27-2002, 02:00 PM
thanks buddy for the input thanks alot

jkkalbers
12-28-2002, 12:15 AM
George or anyone else too,
Just out of curiosity how many hours per week do you put in during the summer? And I'm not trying to start a battle, or a bragging contest.

jsnrub
12-28-2002, 07:04 PM
Sometimes you really need to just rely on your help to take responsibility, you would be surprised what people, especially hispanics, are capable of when you turn them loose.

It has worked for me,

John Allin
12-28-2002, 08:47 PM
Parts of this thread might help......

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=36053

LAWNGODFATHER
12-28-2002, 09:24 PM
Deligate resoncablilities.

xpnd
12-29-2002, 12:52 AM
You and I are basically at the same place in the business. After ten years I have amassed all the necessary equipment (12 21" mowers, 32, 36, two 48" Scaggs and a 44" Toro Z-turn) to start a second crew. Put my personal truck into the business and presto chango I have two 2 man crews. With over 120 12 month pay accounts I could easily split the work between two 2 man crews and build up from there. Why haven't I done it? A distant acquaintance has two crews working 100 yards each a week. My NET is 75-80% of his. My prices are a minimum 20% higher than his. My annual repair expense is half of his and excess labor (working Saturdays) is an exception rather than the rule. I experience an average customer attrition rate of 7% in bad years and roughly 3% in good years. My crew chief has been with me for 7 years and labor and average of three. For the last three years between the months of May and July I run a tiny backlog of new customers who want to be part of the client base but I am stretched to far. Out of 120 accounts I had one recorded legit complaint (forgot to shut the gate). But when you really get down to why I haven't expanded it is because I still have what I consider to be one weakness in the conduct of the business. A weakness that is present prior to an expansion doesn't go away, it just gets bigger. Something that we are not doing well today will just exponentially be done worse after the expansion. Once I get this last duck in line though &*$# the torpedoes, full speed ahead.

Tony Harrell
12-29-2002, 07:38 AM
My experiences in several different businesses have taught me that some people tend to micro manage rather than delegate. A micro manager clogs his thinking process up with details (they are important but should be delegated). To grow any business, you need really good, dependable people and the ability to let them manage the details after you have set policy and procedures.