PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with Poison Ivy , Sumac; etc

landscapetastic
05-31-2012, 09:16 PM
How do you guys deal with poison ivy/ Sumac/ Oak when weeding beds , prepping for mulch? Do you remove it or leave it.

cgaengineer
05-31-2012, 09:17 PM
I spray and get it the following visit. If its large I will cut it and get it after it dries up. I try to avoid touching the stuff with anything.
Posted via Mobile Device

grandview (2006)
06-01-2012, 06:23 AM
Scratch for a while.

Get Some...
06-01-2012, 07:57 AM
If you get poison ivy/oak/sumac....on you...wash the area with a lot of cold water.
Then clean area with some baby wipes.

This definately works very well.

White Gardens
06-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Generally I try to keep it sprayed. It might take the course of a season to get it eradicated. Overall I just don't try to touch it at all.

As for the area affected by PI., I generally tell the homeowner that I will keep up on it, but can't guarantee that I won't kill any plants in the vicinity of the PI.

We're currently dealing with a property that is having PI issues. The unfortunate part is that it's sneaking up in the bushes, so we've put in an estimate for complete removal of the plantings in the bed along with keeping it empty the rest of the season in order to eliminate the PI, along with an estimate for new plant installation in the fall.

Think Green
06-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Your question is how do we deal with it?????

If the customer isn't on a treatment schedule it is left and mulched around. Poison oak and ivy is bad enough. Sumac isn't all poisonous and is speculative. We have customer issues with Virginia Creeper and Trumpet vine. Often the Virginia creeper is mistaken for poison ivy.
Tell the customer they have the toxic weed and needs to be dealt with using chemical control or extensive digging to remove it. Depending on how established the stuff is, then remove it and return to treat when new sprouts emerge.

JB1
06-03-2012, 10:25 PM
My son can get the stuff looking at a picture of it, when we encounter it, i'm the one that has to get rid of it as everyone else on the crew gets it so bad, me I don't have a problem with it.