PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in the northeast still have leaf clean-ups to finish?

General Grounds
12-28-2002, 12:55 AM
:blob3: i was just wondering if im sailing this boat alone, i still have about 20 leaf cleanups to do anyone else out there still hoping for 2 clear weeks to finish up. tony

Doogiegh
12-28-2002, 02:07 AM
I do this part time on weekends. December was nearly a waste of a month and looks like nothing will get done this weekend. I have 5 more to go and I told all of them it could be the weekend of 1/4 or 1/11 or 1/18 or even 1/25 depending upon weather.. So far they have all understood.

Even if I was able to do it during the week, heck 1/2 this week was shot all because 4 inches of snow refuses to melt.. I don't do leaves with snow on the property or medium-high winds.. Job gets done only so-so and customers don't want to hear about it. I'd rather not do the job and wait a week and risk losing it to a full time lco than do a 1/2 crummy job cause I was trying to fight mother nature..

So I'm with ya, still go more to go.

Rob T
12-28-2002, 11:51 AM
Yeh, we still have a few to go. Weather has been all but coperative this year. We hired a few part timers just to help get the jobs done, good thing too. Would still have alot more to do with out thier help.

Hey, Dec was cold and wet maybe Jan will be dry and warm???

Bunton Guy
12-28-2002, 11:58 AM
I have 2 or 3 for my normal customers to go. Might get done first week of jan.

rodfather
12-28-2002, 06:21 PM
I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but here in NW New Jersey, if you aren't finished with clean ups by the middle of December, you're in big trouble.

Yeah, I know the weather has been less than predictable this Fall and early Winter. But I have read (from people in NJ) of having 20 or 30 clean ups to do yet. That is insane. Either they are taking on more work that they can handle or don't have the proper equipment to service their customers.

The h***with doing clean ups in January. You might as well wait until the Spring!

just my .02

Doc Pete
12-28-2002, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by rodfather
I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but here in NW New Jersey, if you aren't finished with clean ups by the middle of December, you're in big trouble.

Isn't it also illegal in NJ to rub guy's noses in their faces???:D Just because you were able to clean up doesn't us lowlife's managed too..............
Pete

ksland
12-28-2002, 07:02 PM
20 or so to go still, out there each possible day

General Grounds
12-28-2002, 07:32 PM
:blob3: ummm big trouble w/ 20 to, not the right equipt, too much work,ok. well i quess the 4 other people i had lunch w/ on tuesday are just as lame, maybe even more b/c they have much more than i do i'll finish in one clear week, would have been well b4 xmas if it was'nt for the dec. 5th snow fall.

mountain
12-28-2002, 10:02 PM
yeah!

same here have about 20 cleanups to go. We are gonna call customers on Monday to tell them they will be the first ones on spring list:(

The clean ups are taking twice as long and turning out half as good because of the wet and cold weather. It's not fair to the customers!

rodfather
12-29-2002, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by General Grounds
:blob3: ummm big trouble w/ 20 to, not the right equipt, too much work,ok. well i quess the 4 other people i had lunch w/ on tuesday are just as lame, maybe even more b/c they have much more than i do i'll finish in one clear week, would have been well b4 xmas if it was'nt for the dec. 5th snow fall.

I wasn't referring that someone might be lazy or lame with 20 or so clean ups still left to do. I mentioned taking into account the unusual weather hindering our efforts and I should also include the fact that the leaves were late this year in falling (about 2 weeks or so).

And no Pete, I am not rubbing anyone's nose in their misfortune. I just think it strange some are planning to doing clean ups well in January. Personally, I would wait until the Spring when things are at least not frozen.

Doc Pete
12-29-2002, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by rodfather

And no Pete, I am not rubbing anyone's nose in their misfortune. I just think it strange some are planning to doing clean ups well in January. Personally, I would wait until the Spring when things are at least not frozen.

But of course, as the owner of Ferris equipment you know I was joking, right????
Pete

General Grounds
12-29-2002, 06:28 PM
:blob2: rodfarther, im not trying to piss anyone off, but saying it is insane thatwere not finish by mid-december, b/c we took to much work on is a little bit of a strectch. esp. after we lost 2 weeks to poor weather conditions, i expect my customers not to understand, not someone in the treches w/ us. tony

rodfather
12-29-2002, 06:38 PM
I'm not PO'ed Tony and I hope you aren't as well.

And I do understand cause we had to deal with the same wacky weather as you. In fact up here north of you in Hunterdon and Warren county, the snow probably stuck around a little longer than where you are (s***!).

I ain't looking for sympathy either...but I know after 8 years how much in the way of leaf clean ups we can do regardless of the weather.

I guess I will end it by quoting Dirty Harry, "Man's got to know his limitations". Nuff said. I am sorry if I offended anyone.

General Grounds
12-29-2002, 10:57 PM
:blob3: Rod, no offense taken but how can we have taken on to much if we lost from the 5th of dec. till just about the 20th, i can see if we had no snow and we were still out there jan 1, then i would agree 110 %. tony

Doogiegh
01-20-2003, 12:14 AM
So, how many in the Northeast STILL have leaves to do?

I know I do, my situation hasn't changed at all during all of January. Every weekend has been very windy, way way too wet or snow covered ground.. We had snow on Thursday night, it's now Sunday night, 72 hours later and the ground is still covered in most places...

Problem is that we only had 1 INCH of snow..

We haven't cleared 29 degrees outside as a HIGH temperature now for over a week.. Overnight lows in the single digits.. 6 to 9 degrees.. So NOTHING is melting..

Gary

AL Inc
01-20-2003, 01:06 AM
I still have about 20 to go. It has been in the 20's and low 30's for at least the last week with a bit of snow on the ground. It looks like more of the same for the next few weeks. I'm done. I'm just going to wait for spring at this point. I've been in this business for a long time and NEVER had a fall like this past one. We tried, but that was just BS. If it wasn't snowing, it was raining, or the ground was frozen and the leaves weren't going anywhere. If the client can't understand that is the reason why I didn't finish, they can take a walk.

fastlane
01-20-2003, 01:27 AM
I did all but 3 large ones. I'll finish in the spring. Did smaller ones first.(better to have fewer people unhappy)

just Cuts
01-20-2003, 05:02 AM
YES!!! I have about 4 clean-ups to take care of if the weather permits. I've told my clients if the weather lets up we would be out. If not we would see them in march.

matitude
01-20-2003, 05:07 AM
I would be glad to only have 20 left, we have 63 left and 471 completed and have been waiting for some good weather so we can get back at it. I called the 63 remaining and most said they would prefer us to complete them as soon as possible. Hope it gets warm soon!!!

SLS
01-20-2003, 05:53 AM
You guys up north don't feel too left out.

The leaves falling late, coupled with the wacky weather, had some of us down here behind as well.

I finished my last cleanup last wed.....and then it snowed 7.5 inches the next morning! Talk about timing....whew!

Good luck up there fellas...but spring is right around the corner. :)

Turfdude
01-20-2003, 12:03 PM
We had everyone's turf areas cleaned off real good before Thanksgiving. We started final clean-ups the week after. We still have 105 left (some 40 of them will be a little time consuming). Basically about 2-3 weeks for 6 men. I sure hope for some warm weather in February. If not, I know we won't get all of our spring mulching done.

Bob

Doogiegh
01-20-2003, 07:25 PM
I hear from lots of people on here that this past fall was real bad..

Now, has it REALLY always been like this, or was this year truly a wacky year?

Do some of you veterans always have things done by say... December 21st and now you still have 42 to go with no end in sight??

Cause you know how people always say the weather is the hottest, wettest, driest, coldest they can ever remember, and meanwhile it's right within the statistical odds of things.

Now I do know in NJ, we've been below 30 degrees for about 10 days now and it is bitter cold at night, dropping into the single digits.. That IS cold that I know we haven't had in a long long time..

If you still have fall cleanups to do, do you call the customers weekly, or just take this as idle time while the weather does it's things.. I don't want to lose any customers, but also don't want to be calling weekly when there is no point in doing so..

Gary

Turfdude
01-20-2003, 10:54 PM
Gary,

We never start our final clean-ups until after Thanksgiving. This was a really weird year. The leaves hung infairly long and then wham - they all fell pretty much at once. A more normal year would see the maples fall & sweet gums, then later the cherries, oaks, plums and finally the pears (with the exception of the pin oaks that always hold some thru the winter). Anyhow, the all fell in the middle of November. The townships got behind w/ their pick-ups & we usually won't do a final clean-up until curbside collection is complete so we know there won't be a lot left to blow around once we get done. Also, w/ the snow, wind, rain, etc - we only had approx 10 good days between Thanksgiving & Christmas. Usually, we can count on having all clean-ups done by week 2 of January! We're not calling anyone at this point. Our clients have been w/ us for a long time & know we'll get there ASAP. Hell,we had about 15 clients never get their last fert app either. It's the Nature of the beast - pardon the pun.

Bob

rodfather
01-20-2003, 10:57 PM
Gary...let's look at the facts for 2002

1. January, February, and March little or no snow for NJ
2. Very wet and rainy Spring though
3. Drought hits early in late June
4. Trees look like s***in early September and looks like an early Fall.
5. Rain finally comes back and trees now want to drop a good 2 weeks later than usual.
6. Everyone is running around saying, "WTF going on"?

I have lived most of my 48 years in NJ (including Hunterdon County) where I am now. We finished a week later than usual because of that early December snow fall around the 5th or so.

If I still had Fall clean ups to do (here it is the 20th of January), I wouldn't bother calling anymore unless there was a major winter thaw...Spring will be here b4 you know it. Rest up while u can.

just my 2 cents from a fellow NJ guy

cklands
01-20-2003, 11:49 PM
Yup sure do here in MA. About 35 or so.

AL Inc
01-21-2003, 12:48 AM
I let them know that if the weather improved, we would be there. I don't think it's necessary to call every week. Rodfather has good advice: rest up know, take a break. The 80 hour weeks will be here soon...:dizzy: Mike

BobR
01-21-2003, 12:55 PM
Upstate NY

Late tree drop, early cold weather (2+ ft of white stuff) all equal incomplete fall cleanups -- of 20+ accounts I still have 6 to do.