PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help on a patio paver job

Mxrider52
06-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Just looking for some help in building my patio out of pavers. I am looking at building a 12' by 12' area. I will be using 18"x18" pavers. The land is slightly unlevel. Slightly sloping Probably 3-4 inches by the time I am out 12 foot from the pool area. I have a pool at the top and the land slightly slopes from it down. I am looking at starting the pavers up against the pool area and work out.

So basically from what I know I need to dig it out to make it level or would you just level it with a slight slope? Think I read 1 inch slope for every 4 foot? What is the easiest way to tackle that?

Also I know I should use crush rock from what I read? I was up at my local rental place today and he had some jagged rock material. Basically just like gravel driveway rock I guess or concrete rock. Is this the type of material I am looking for? I am unsure. He also had the same rock but it had I guess a concrete like mixture almost in it.

Also what kind of sand should I use? The guy had a brown suger color sand plus regular light brown play sand Not real sure in the difference

I have been looking at lowes and they offer a 2 step system. A paver base and than a paver sand. I was looking at maybe just getting bucket loads of this stuff instead of bags as I think it would be cheaper. Based on lowes site I am looking at $400 in materials just for sand and base.

Thanks

FLCthes4:11-12
06-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Ask for crusher run for base, m-10 or masonry sand 1" using screed poles is what I would recommend. Might need a small wall to contain base material or a well compacted shoulder that extends out from patio. Are you using 18" square 1" thick stepping stones? If so I wouldnt put the compactor on top of them. Good luck with your project. Dont forget geo fabric.

Mxrider52
06-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Ask for crusher run for base, m-10 or masonry sand 1" using screed poles is what I would recommend. Might need a small wall to contain base material or a well compacted shoulder that extends out from patio. Are you using 18" square 1" thick stepping stones? If so I wouldnt put the compactor on top of them. Good luck with your project. Dont forget geo fabric.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have one other place I am going to check into for this stuff. I think they may have it as they sell a ton of pavers and large rocks on pallets.

How thick of a base do you think I need? I was thinking 3" crush rock with a 1" sand base. It not going to be drove on. Not sure what I am going to do about the lower side yet. I may just let it slope slightly and dig down from the pool area and level it out better.

Yes they are 18" square pavers probably about 2" thick actually. I was not planning on using the compactor on them just on my base and the crush rock.

DVS Hardscaper
06-01-2012, 08:52 PM
18x18 isn't considered pavers. Technically, they're what the industry calls "slabs" :)

Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
06-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I have one other place I am going to check into for this stuff. I think they may have it as they sell a ton of pavers and large rocks on pallets.

How thick of a base do you think I need? I was thinking 3" crush rock with a 1" sand base. It not going to be drove on. Not sure what I am going to do about the lower side yet. I may just let it slope slightly and dig down from the pool area and level it out better.

Yes they are 18" square pavers probably about 2" thick actually. I was not planning on using the compactor on them just on my base and the crush rock.

The minimum industry standard is 4-inches
Posted via Mobile Device

Mxrider52
06-02-2012, 11:04 AM
18x18 isn't considered pavers. Technically, they're what the industry calls "slabs" :)

Posted via Mobile Device

Haha yea they are pretty large and heavy. It will be fun putting them down. :weightlifter: Do you actually think I will need an edging for them?

FLCthes4:11-12
06-02-2012, 02:23 PM
I acutally do

Bleed Green
06-02-2012, 10:07 PM
I would say you will need an edging for sure because otherwise you are risking the base from washing out from under them causing sinking in the patio to occur, especially if there is a slope the ground.