PDA

View Full Version : Bore under sidewalks, streets, driveways ect..

gusbuster
08-13-2000, 09:57 PM
Just wondering what other landscapers are using to bore holes for irrigation pipes when going under walkways ect.

Myself, unless i have to install a sleeve, all I do is use a high-pressure nozzle and blast away a hole. I just bought a boring tool that is very easy to use and works great, especially if you have to use a sleeve. Down side to using this tool is it takes more time to prep the site,:rolleyes: than to actually bore the hole.:( Just curious what other landscapers are using to do this.

southside
08-14-2000, 06:37 AM
If you can find someone with a directional borer in your area,you could sub the job out. You usually see them installing underground power and phone lines.

Karl

FIREMAN
08-14-2000, 04:11 PM
SAW SOME KIND OF BORING TOOL IN THE NORTHERN EQUIPMENT CATALOG....I THINK YOU USE IT ON A RIGHT-ANGLE DRILL OR ONE OF THOSE TWO CYCLE ECHO DRILLS...

ALS
08-14-2000, 09:32 PM
I use a garden hose with a section of pvc fitted with a hose connection. Primitive, but effective. Southern Delaware has very sandy soil.

gusbuster
08-15-2000, 04:20 AM
Als,
That's the way I usualy do it,pvc pipe and high pressure nozzle.

Fireman,
Saw the same thing on the net at northertool.com. I was going to go that route until my irrigation rep told me about the machine that i bought. Had to buy a heavy duty drill also, but have other uses for the drill also.

Where I do my landscaping, I can have rock/clay type condition in the hills and the lower areas sandy conditions.
For under $2oo, this machine;special bit that attatches to 3\4" galv.pipe(use any length, i use 4ft lengths)the drill and homeowner's garden hose, can do a 20ft wide driveway with rock/clay conditions in under 45 minutes. Using the old fashion way, up to an hour and a half to do this same driveway. It takes more time to prep the hole than to actualy drill the hole. I've used this tool already 4 times in July on 2 driveways and 2 walkways and love it.
For anybody that wants more info on this machine/tool here's their web site: http://www.borit.com/www-borit-com/testimony.chk

As for subing this kind of work, good luck in finding somebody to do a small job like mine. Everybody that I contacted told me I would have to wait over 30 days and @ $20 a foot, you can see how much money i will be saving.
John