PDA

View Full Version : pool bull nose

wellbuilt
06-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Ive had a few calls for paver installation around in ground pools ?
I do lots of patios, walks, an drive ways but never a pool bull nose or couping ?
I think i would pour a concrete footer around the pool area and set the edge in thin set .
The owner would like 18"x18" slabs on a very round pool ?
Whats the best way to bull nose the pool area ? John

SVA_Concrete
06-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Pour a concrete footer like you are saying. The top elevation of the footer should match the top elevation of the pool wall or bond beam. Epoxy the coping stones in place.
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
06-02-2012, 05:38 PM
First you need to know if the pool is gunite or steel frames with vinyl liner. 2 different worlds.

Not sure about why you wanna do footers?? If it's a gunite or concrete pool (either are the same in terms of what it matters for pavers) - the walls are already below frost level. You simply veneer the coping to the top of the walls. There should be a coping there now. If you remove it - you're most likely gonna disturb the tile. Do you know how to install pool tile?

If its a viny pool - again - different story.

Posted via Mobile Device

SVA_Concrete
06-02-2012, 07:49 PM
By footer i mean basically a mud slab around the perimeter to provide a substrait to install the 18 inch paver on. Typically gunite bond beams are about 10 inches or so
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
06-02-2012, 08:15 PM
So this 18" thing isn't a realistic idea. Customer likes it but he/she doesn't realize what's involved.

Can that idea.

A 12-inch coping is more realistic. That extra 6 inches is
Causing alot of additional expense. That's silly.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gilmore.Landscaping
06-02-2012, 09:41 PM
We mortar all our pool coping down to a concrete ring around the edge. Mortar joints just like tile work between all pavers.

wellbuilt
06-02-2012, 09:57 PM
My wife received the call so i don't have a lot of information yet .
The owner was looking for 18x18 slabs I think the coping is 6x 14 .
I'm thinking fiberglass pool for some reason ?
And i believe the pool is new .
I don't know why pool guys in my area dont do a turn key deal.
I hate to turn down work so i will know more tomorrow .
Could you tell me how long it would take to install couping per ft of run or lineal foot price .
What is the best way to cut the slabs around a install round couping edge ?
We do lots of tile but no pools yet floors , bathroom , out side patio .
John

zedosix
06-03-2012, 08:57 AM
On average for a 110-125 linear foot coping install assuming the pool is not straight then it should take one day max. to do the cutting and one day for bonding.
All of our pool work has been on steel walled pools with 30" concrete sub-deck
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
06-03-2012, 10:10 AM
It would probably take a rookie 3 days to cut and set stone.

Plus a day to excavate.

And a few hrs to pour the concrete.

I spend more time around pools than I do patios.

Physically what the topic creator is talking about doing can be done. But it's not a wise idea.

The coping needs to be independent. If a portion of the coping is relying on anything other than the pool's beam - and that other structure heaves - the coping will heave and It will push on the tile under it.

Now if it's a fiberglass pool - i'd have to see pictures to comment.

Homeowners like to have grand ideas. As professionals it's our responsibility to bring them back down to reality.

Posted via Mobile Device

jbailey52
06-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Great topic. Can anyone post pictures of a coping install? We are bidding a pool deck/patio around a yet to be constructed gunite pool. The only thing I m not experienced with is the coping itself. Is it feasible to have to pool company do this?

wellbuilt
06-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Yes the pool guys can do the bull nose .
my pool guy is away till Monday night and i cant reach him .
He will do the pool and we just do the patio .
Ive done a ton of stone work all kinds but never a pool edge .
I'm going to suck up one more cup of coffee and then go eye ball this job .
Thanks for the input John

wellbuilt
06-03-2012, 11:38 AM
I was thinking 2 men 20 hrs +- but a lot depends on how fast you can cut .
i guess i need a gas powered chop saw .
any one like a particular brand .
I have a lot of imer equipment wet saw, mixers .
Ive been using a old target 12 " wet saw for pavers but its electric and a pain to make long fast cuts in 2" material with out blowing the breaker John

DVS Hardscaper
06-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Great topic. Can anyone post pictures of a coping install? We are bidding a pool deck/patio around a yet to be constructed gunite pool. The only thing I m not experienced with is the coping itself. Is it feasible to have to pool company do this?

I have pictures of coping being installed on a gunite pool. They are buried in the archives of this forum. Do a search on my user name and pool coping. Or maybe that photobucket account got deleted, not sure
Posted via Mobile Device

jbailey52
06-03-2012, 08:07 PM
Dvs, yep found the posts.. And yep all pictures deleted! When you have time any chance on uploading some?

Gilmore.Landscaping
06-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Here is one of the finished edge, not a great pic, but it shows the how we do it with joints.

This is probably 12" deep stone.
http://www.heritagestone.ca/images/galleries/naturalstone/Natural%20Stone%20Kitchener%20Waterloo%20%2817%29.jpg

wellbuilt
06-04-2012, 03:22 PM
nice pic GL
Well i went to see my pool .
Its a steel pool with a 6" steel galvanised cap rectangle 20x40 .
It dose have 2x2 deck supports every 4' .around the top .
My problem is the pool was dug into a hill the 40 ' way
and the grade is 0 to 12'feet on 40 feet .
The pool guys burnt rubber out of there giggling and laughing .
The owner hired a C - List excavator guy to push some free dirt around the pool.
free dirt = wet clay
There is at least 8' of back fill on the high end ?
What can we do now to finish the pool ?
How long will it take 8' of fill to settle?
I think there only options are to dig the slime out from the paver area
and fill with stone .( 6 tri-axles +-)
or maybe a cedar or epay deck around the pool and blue stone patio on the end buy the house . John
or maybe ill have to say thanks but no thanks.
I hate a cheep AZZ millionaire trying to save a buck .

Gilmore.Landscaping
06-04-2012, 03:57 PM
nice pic GL
Well i went to see my pool .
Its a steel pool with a 6" steel galvanised cap rectangle 20x40 .
It dose have 2x2 deck supports every 4' .around the top .
My problem is the pool was dug into a hill the 40 ' way
and the grade is 0 to 12'feet on 40 feet .
The pool guys burnt rubber out of there giggling and laughing .
The owner hired a C - List excavator guy to push some free dirt around the pool.
free dirt = wet clay
There is at least 8' of back fill on the high end ?
What can we do now to finish the pool ?
How long will it take 8' of fill to settle?
I think there only options are to dig the slime out from the paver area
and fill with stone .( 6 tri-axles +-)
or maybe a cedar or epay deck around the pool and blue stone patio on the end buy the house . John
or maybe ill have to say thanks but no thanks.
I hate a cheep AZZ millionaire trying to save a buck .

Doesn't sound like a good situation to be getting into, not a good job to be learning on..... your starting Everest when you should be climbing a much smaller mountain range (I can't think of any because who cares)

Also I have attached a pic of what the pool guys leave us to start working from. We always get them to do the concrete ring since they already have the truck there. and a partial in progress shot.

wellbuilt
06-04-2012, 05:44 PM
O man if my pool looked like yours there would be no question on how to get the edge on .
How long would it take for the ground around the pool to settle 1 year 2 ?
I know if i back fill a house foundation with out compacting it sinks for 2 year at least
I really don't know why they didn't spin the pool, there would be a lot less to compact and back fill .
thanks for the pics john

Gilmore.Landscaping
06-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Not sure what this guys budget is but sounds like he is on the cheap side. You can get companies in to conpact backfill soil, its not cheap or easy but managble if you can get large equipment in there
Posted via Mobile Device