PDA

View Full Version : Toro Z

Bunton Guy
12-28-2002, 10:44 AM
I was taking a look at my local toro store and they wanted 7,400 for a new I guess its 62" ? or is it 61" Z with a donaldson air filter system and that new style deck that throws all the clippings to the front of the deck. Has anyone used this model ? is this a good deal?

Clay
12-28-2002, 11:05 AM
Hey Bunton Guy,

Here is a site to compare... looks like a pretty good price...

http://alamia.com/dir/390.html

I use the 44" deck on my Z with the SFS deck... It is suppose to channel the clippings to the front without going through the blades and it works well until you get the wet sticky stuff and then I believe it gets a little buildup and works about the same as without (maybe a little better)... the best part about the Toro Zs is the Z-stand.... You can pull over to an isolated spot, kick the machine on the stand and clean the deck if needed....

Get the biggest engine you can...

Good Luck, Clay

odin
12-28-2002, 07:11 PM
We bought two zmasters with the sfs deck this past spring.We sold em before the season was even though and took a loss on em ,so that should tell ya something about toro's.

BTW they were replaced by exmarks.

Blessed 1
12-28-2002, 08:08 PM
Sounds like a good deal to me. I used mines all year and loved it. I payed $6995 for the 52" with the 25 hp Kohler. I have not had any problems exept the hydraulic line on one of the servo's needed tightening. I am waiting on the new bagging system due out in the spring (3bin). I have not heard a lot of good things about the DFS system. The Exmark guys will tell you that the sfs deck only cuts the clippings 1 time but I have not had any problems so far. Go for it:D :D :D

BRIAN GALLO
12-28-2002, 11:30 PM
There are poeple who either love the sfs deck or hate it. If you are cutting your accounts weekly, and sometimes 3-5 days in spring, I don't think it matters what deck you choose. If you cut constant high grass I feel there is none better than the sfs deck. I had a demo last year, side by side, an Exmark lazer and a Toro Z. The grass was about 8 days growth and a little damp. The Exmark pulled a good vacuum cut, but shot clods everywhere. The Toro had a little less lift, but no clods - didn't have to go over anything twice. Not going over the lawn twice is more important to me personally.

odin
12-29-2002, 12:11 AM
Ok i not wanting to argue ,but that sfs deck we had to double triple and sometimes go over a lawn 4 times to get em to our standards.Talk about spitting out clunks of grass.Never again would i even think about a mower with the sfs deck on it.Sorry sorry sorry is the only word that describes that deck

Evan528
12-29-2002, 12:17 AM
I have to agree with Odin here. I also had a Toro Z master that I sold this year due to the fact that I had to triple cut lawns with it to get them looking nice. Very good quality machine with smooth cut....but didnt chop clippings worth a dam!

dhicks
12-29-2002, 10:00 AM
I'm with Odin and Evan on this one. My Toro Z leaves a well manicured look but only after cutting two or three times.

jkkalbers
12-29-2002, 10:55 AM
I think it depends on the type and thickness of grass. I've got a z with the 27 horse liquid coold kaw. 62" and it cuts great on all my lawns except about 4. Those lawns need to be cut twice no matter what mower you use. I usually cut it the first time about 1/2" higher than I want my finish cut, and I cross cut. It usually turns out awesome.

mike48114
12-29-2002, 01:04 PM
Hay ODIN00.....I hope this is old news to you but here goes anyways...TORO (the mower you hated and got rid of...even took a loss) ya that company owns and operates Exmark (the mower you later bought)...I am a long time lover of exmark mowers dont get me wrong. The only diffrence between the two mowers is the deck. You took a loss on some mower(s) becouse you hated a few hundred dollar deck?.......heres the good part....sience the mowers are the same (exmark design) you could have went out and got a exmark deck which you love so much you pissed money away to "take a loss" and buy the same mower with a diffrent deck. I know people within the TORO and Exmark Company and guess what ..... the diffrences in the mowers will become less and less as the years go on. I'm glad your happy with your new Exmarks, but lets be honest... you traded you toros in for toros with exmark decks and lost your *** on the deal. Good luck and I hope you dont hate me now! :blob2:

WWW.toro.com

odin
12-29-2002, 01:18 PM
Nope i dont hate you just toro.That EXMARK DECK makes all the diffrence in the world.And another thing that makes a HUGE difference is exmark custormer service which is the very best.Toro sucks in custormer service and toro sucks period.Toro has had the good sence to let exmark do its own thing.

Chad@LebanonTurf
12-29-2002, 07:55 PM
I agree w/ most everyone here. Do not, I repeat do not buy a Toro Z. THe mower is awesome if you just like riding a mower, but if you area serious lawn maintenance professional like me that demands a quality cut, do not buy the SFS deck. THis deck throws the clippings out of the deck way too soon and doesn't mulch them at all. I got lured fronm Exmark last year due to the attractive price of the Toro, but had to quadruple cut every lawn I have. This purchase actually costs me money due to the fact that I sold the Toro at a loss this week and purchased two new EPS Lazer Z's. I will not sway away from Exmark again. I will admit however, that I still have to mow the thick lawns twice in the spring and fall no matter what mower I use, although the Toro you have to cut four or five times. I wonder if the new Advantage deck from Scag hepls, although I think any mower in the spring and fall just will not leave a quality cut if you do not cut at least twice.

12-29-2002, 09:45 PM
What kind of grass are you Toro haters cutting? I have a TORO Z and I cut grass with other LOC's that have Hustler and EXMARK and I or them can't see a difference! As far as customer service, Hell that ain't got nothing to do with the mower! That's people.

BRIAN GALLO
12-29-2002, 11:28 PM
Why are you guys going over the 4-5 times with the Toro. Are you cutting off 6" of grass and there is a thick covering laying on the lawn? I agree that the Toro does not mulch clippings in stock sfs form - it was meant not to! It's designed not to pass clippings between chambers (which causes clumping as clippings weave together), but rather to shoot them right out over a broad area. I cut a mixture of rye, KY blue and fine fescue. For me the sfs was like a dream come true. I cut 4" of grass off at a time on my bi-weeklys and rarely ever have to go over anything twice! With my Snapper w/gators or doubles there are always windrows and clumps and I DO have to go over it more than once. I use the Snapper in fall for leaves. Due to the passing between chambers leaves come out as dust. Toro makes a leaf shredder to remidy this on the sfs deck. To each his own, but it does seem that there is an extreme hatred to Toro on this site, while other brands can do no wrong. Try before you buy, then decide for yourself.

NC Big Daddy
12-30-2002, 01:56 PM
You and I are cutting in the same area. This is an easy one! Exmark hands down. Toro is not a bad mower dont get me wrong we've had them and still have a few Prolines but it's hands down Exmark. Email me I'll tell you who to talk to about buying an Exmark.

odin
12-30-2002, 05:04 PM
One thing i think makes a huge diffrence is what i should have called custormer SUPPORT Instead of custormer service.You need help with exmark you have this forum and exmarks telephone support.Just try toro support you will see a BIG difference.

Kent Lawns
01-01-2003, 10:51 AM
Toro bought eXmark. Why?

Because Toro had cash and eXmark has everything else.

odin
01-01-2003, 11:04 AM
Toro bought exmark because if toro cant beat em toro buys em.

mike48114
01-01-2003, 06:00 PM
Gosh Darn It!!! Just Demo the Toro and the Exmark. The Exmark might cut a bit better and cost a bit more. You will need to figure out and decide what you want out of your mower. Almost any dealer will DEMO any unit. Good luck to all & happy new year!
--Mike!