PDA

View Full Version : Join a Landscaping co-op Poll?

boohoo
12-28-2002, 01:13 PM
Assuming say a yearly fee of $200 for example please vote on whether you would join a national co-op of like minded Landscapers with the likely benefits it may bring. FEEL FREE TO INDICATE REASONS WHY IF NO.

bilbo7021
12-28-2002, 01:31 PM
now this is how you start to see if this idea is feasable or not.

GroundKprs
12-28-2002, 02:11 PM
Anyone would be kind of stupid to pay $200/yr for a pipe dream, when dozens of discounts already exist at a $95/yr co-op at http://www.pricebreakusa.com/

Time to go fishin' again? LOL.

boohoo
12-28-2002, 02:23 PM
hmmm no listing under Health Insurance, Lesco etc.

DLCS
12-28-2002, 02:24 PM
No, for reasons stated in this thread..http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37983. How did you arrive at the $200.00 yearly figure?

Mike

boohoo
12-28-2002, 02:31 PM
Could be $6.25 the minimum wage in this country for all it matters.

Toroguy
12-28-2002, 03:16 PM
I wouldn't concentrate on the $200 per year figure yet.

Vote on the concept.

LAWNGODFATHER
12-28-2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by boohoo
hmmm no listing under Health Insurance, Lesco etc.

INS can't happen seprate policies, seprate benificaraies.

Lesco hell I pay atleast half of what you all do else where's and trust me there aint no lower.

Again why should newbies get the buying power we all worked for?

Why don't you take that $200 or whatever and apply it to finding better rates and prices.

Didn't take but a few phone calls to find the best price on INS.

boohoo
12-28-2002, 04:21 PM
Farmers co-ops are no different!
food for thought

http://www.selfemployedcountry.org/about.html

"They received their health insurance on a group basis, because they were under one common group. The power of numbers gave them the ability to have insurance benefits in one group, although farmers and the self-employed had to buy their health insurance as individuals. The insurance company decided the benefits and conditions of the policy.

It was then that I set-up group benefits through the local dairy co-ops and farmers co-ops. Farm organizations, such as Farm Bureau and Farmers Union, and commodity groups began doing the same. No one could be singled out for cancellation because of large claims. No one could be singled out for premium increase because of excessive claims.

Yes, the insurance companies could cancel the group, but like a large employer, we could negotiate with another insurance company. CA has now become the largest rural association that provides health insurance to farmers, ranchers and self-employed business people on a group basis. Some members of CA have had claims paid in excess of $1 million and have not received the dreaded cancellation letter, or a notice of premium increase due to large claims. Since CA began providing insurance benefits to its members based on group purchasing power, we are proud to claim that benefits are now approaching $1 billion paid to CA members since 1974.

You all receive premium rate increases. Increases are due to better health care, higher prescription drug costs and higher recovery rates of illnesses that used to be terminal. But not one member has been singled out for a rate increase. And the more members that join CA, the better the chances of keeping low group rates.

CA members will never be left alone. I can say with pride that no one has been left without health insurance like my mother and father were. And I know that CA will continue to live by that claim in the years to come".

LAWNGODFATHER
12-28-2002, 04:26 PM
So why not join the Farmers Co-OP?

boohoo
12-28-2002, 04:28 PM
mooooooooooo

crazygator
12-28-2002, 05:22 PM
No, because there are too many on this forum that are kids, or act like kids. I do not want my business to be in association with this type of practice, or more importantly with this type of people!

rodfather
12-28-2002, 06:23 PM
I'll pass.

FrankenScagMachines
12-28-2002, 06:26 PM
crazygator, I guess it's obvious you need to change professions then huh!?:rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes:

bubble boy
12-28-2002, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by BushHogBoy
crazygator, I guess it's obvious you need to change professions then huh!?:rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes:

BHB let me know when you are actually in this profession. i would argue that one can just get on top and stay on top of the profession, without some co-op idea...

a group based on a membership that only requires internet access?

i as well will pass.

crazygator
12-28-2002, 08:40 PM

Do us a huge favor, grow up. Second, if you think you are in the same league as me and want to debate, then fine. You name the place and the time. This forum is not the place. You continue to prove my point above, thank you!

lawncare3
12-28-2002, 10:08 PM
What is a co-op?

FrankenScagMachines
12-28-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by crazygator
No, because there are too many on this forum that are kids, or act like kids. I do not want my business to be in association with this type of practice, or more importantly with this type of people!

Hey don't take it wrong. I was referring to the above post ^ where you said you didn't want your "business to be in association with this type of practice, or more importantly with this type of people!". I thought it odd and funny that you are in the lawn care business and don't want your business to be associated with persons under 18, 21, or some other magical number, when a very large percent of this industry is made up of persons under this magical age that somehow determines professional-ness, maturity, and ability to manage a business in an ethical way that is profitable and pleasing to their customers. Maybe I'm missing something here? But I was only pointing out that your post was quite interesting to me when I first read it. Also, define what leaque you're in. I won't say we do the same amount of work for the same amount of money at the same amount of quality, etc etc, but I would say that we both do what we do quite well and keep our customers happy. I know I do. I am sure you do as well. If I was proving a point, and helped you, you're welcome! Glad to help :)

BubbleBoy, whats your point? You and I both know I am in this profession or there wouldn't be 950 posts under my name in the 2 years I've been on here, either I'm enthusiastic and have questions and ideas and eager to learn more, or I'm crazy. The co-op wasn't my idea but i'm pretty sure you weren't aiming that statement at me. ;)

Regards,
Eric

DLCS
12-28-2002, 10:47 PM
BubbleBoy, whats your point? You and I both know I am in this profession or there wouldn't be 950 posts under my name in the 2 years I've been on here, either I'm enthusiastic and have questions and ideas and eager to learn more, or I'm crazy.

Hmm, I guess it doesn't matter how many years you have in this business, but how many posts you have on Lawnsite.
BHB, how many years have you been in business, legitimately?

Mike

65hoss
12-29-2002, 05:56 AM
BubbleBoy, whats your point? You and I both know I am in this profession or there wouldn't be 950 posts under my name in the 2 years I've been on here, either I'm enthusiastic and have questions and ideas and eager to learn more, or I'm crazy. The co-op wasn't my idea but i'm pretty sure you weren't aiming that statement at me. ;)

Regards,
Eric
BushHogBoy

I'm 15 and have been dabbling in it some but going to get serious next year, am buying a business with a 2000 EXmark 48" TTHP, sulky and mulch kit, I'm going to make a bagger and I'm supposed to be getting a 38" John Deere w/b with sulky and mulch kit too soon. I have all the 2 cycle stuff already, Stihl FS80 trimmer, Kawasaki KRB400A BP blower, Echo HCR1500 hedge trimmers, Echo SRM2400SB split boom unit with hedge trimmer head. Have a LawnBoy already as well.
I'm curious what you do with the van Wesley, I could get one for next to nothing from my parents who no longer need it. What is it good for vs. a pickup?
Thanks,
Eric

GroundKprs
12-29-2002, 11:44 AM
Grandma always said: "God made children to be seen, and not heard."

My gosh, how things have changed!

HOMER
12-29-2002, 12:33 PM
It amazes me how nearly every question has to be turned into a p-i-s-s-i-n' match.

bilbo7021
12-29-2002, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by HOMER
It amazes me how nearly every question has to be turned into a p-i-s-s-i-n' match.

I thought I was the only one who saw this!

Homer, has it always been this way? :confused:

Toroguy
12-29-2002, 12:53 PM
BushHogBoy conducts himself better than some of the "adults" here.

His desire to learn and improve should be a lesson to everyone.

And all you tough guys who enjoy singling him out because of his lack of experience are real winners.

A local or regional co-op wouldn't cost anything. It only requires ten guys/gals to organize a pick-up football game. It would only require the same amount of like minded LCO's looking for a similar piece of equipment to get a nice price discount. And how much would that cost?

Hookset
12-29-2002, 12:53 PM
NO!

bubble boy
12-29-2002, 04:23 PM

Regards,
Eric

so now post count determines biz smarts?????? my accountant must have forgotten to tell me that at our last meeting.:rolleyes:

and yes my statement was aimed directly at you. because you told someone they need to find another profession, as if you know the profession like the back of your hand.

i'll admit you have enthusiasm and are eager to learn. but still some things i read from you would make me question a co-op you are in. heck maybe in a couple years you'll be making more than me and will successfully found an uber lawn industry co-op. but right now all i read from you is months of talking up your torched three wheeler, which you then traded for a deere that came from somewhere in a handbasket. would i want potential customers going to the proposed lawnsite list and seeing the pics of these two mowers???? associating that with me?????

and you talk of how you and your brother (who apparently is superman) can do a prop in X min. that IMO showed you don't understand what it takes in the field, when it's 95 degrees. or raining all week. etc...

i have even seen you give advice on brands of Z mowers. i asked how many hours you have logged on any but you declined a response (at least i read none)

often you offer good advice, and certainly you have made efforts to add to lawnsite. but sometimes it feels like your channeling Bob McNaughton thru a fifteen yr old kid.

i would hope no one here would want me in their co-op based on my 800 posts. and i hope no one would not want someone in because they are a new member. and finally, if lawnsite members could join this co-op that would make all of you potential partners with chopique.

again, i'll pass.

rodfather
12-29-2002, 06:05 PM
Hummm...this thread is geting kind of heavy right now.

Maybe the LS Adminstrator needs to pull the plug before the mud really starts flyin'.

kutnkru
12-29-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by bubble boy
so now post count determines biz smarts?????? my accountant must have forgotten to tell me that at our last meeting.:rolleyes: again, i'll pass. Smart adviser you have thar -LMAO!!!

Posts dont mean nor amount to jack especially if you like to banter -LOL!!!