PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with poly install

PPD3195
06-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Sooooo...the local sprinkler world hooked me up with a design that was all poly. I did the installation last fall and being the rookie that I was/am, I covered the lines up before the gray water came back on this spring.

Now I'm dealing with leaks in most of the corners of my main line, which is poly. I have about two hundred feet of poly in the main line.

First question, should I have put some type of pressure regulator in at the beginning of the line? They didn't put one in the system design, but maybe they should of?

Second...do I need to rip that whole main line out and just redo it with pvc? I'm in Utah, so we do have some pretty cold winters. If there's an easier solution to this, I'd prefer it to ripping it out, but I want it done right.

The grass is coming in about a week so I need to figure this out definitively.

Thanks!

BPS##
06-03-2012, 02:43 PM
You didn't clamp your connections did you?

PPD3195
06-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Yes, they're all clamped. Is that a bad thing?? Maybe I didn't clamp them tight enough, being worried about breaking the plastic inserts.

PPD3195
06-03-2012, 02:48 PM
And let me clarify, I DID get to test the main line after installation before I covered it back up. It's just the lines from the valves I haven't turned on yet.

I remember because there was one spot I forgot to clamp and it shot the elbow out like a rocket when I turned the water on :P

BPS##
06-03-2012, 02:51 PM
OK so you did clamp your connections. Thats what you should have done.
That part is right.
You can clamp pretty tight without breaking the inserts.

Explain again with more detail where the leaks are.
You shouldn't have to rip it out and do PVC.

PPD3195
06-03-2012, 03:12 PM
I have 4 90 degree turns as the main line goes around the house to the valve box and they have all leaked. It was just one yesterday. I dug it up and tightened the clamps till it stopped. Everything looked good last night. Now the other 3 are leaking!

BPS##
06-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Dig those up and tighten them.

Double clamp if need be. Over the winter the pipe probably shrank some with cooler temps.

Give that a try before you worry about replacing the whole line.

PPD3195
06-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Thanks a ton! I'll give that a try.

You don't think I need to worry about pressure regulation at all? I'm not sure what it's at now, but if I need to I can run grab a gauge and check it.

BPS##
06-03-2012, 03:40 PM
What is the water source?

City, well?

PPD3195
06-03-2012, 03:41 PM
City irrigation water.

Wet_Boots
06-03-2012, 03:47 PM
What kind of clamps are being used? Worm-gear clamps?

BPS##
06-03-2012, 04:05 PM
I knew boots would show up.
Some body mentioned "water". lol

Boots maybe be better able to help you with the pressure thing.
I mainly deal with repairs when it leaks.

PPD3195
06-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Not sure what the clamp is called. They're the metal ones with a screw in them that rachets it down. That's what they sold at the sprinkler store.

Mike Leary
06-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Looks like you're in Utah? Did you compressor-winterize the system? A 1/4" drive socket is much better to tighten those crappy fittings.

PPD3195
06-03-2012, 08:32 PM
I didn't use a compressor...I undid the connection at the main connect by the sidewalk and opened the end of the line which is the front spicket and let it run out. There's no water past the valves yet so I didn't blow anything through those.

Wet_Boots
06-03-2012, 08:40 PM
Not sure what the clamp is called. They're the metal ones with a screw in them that rachets it down. That's what they sold at the sprinkler store.you should take a spare fitting and a bit of pipe and a clamp, and make a mockup of a connection - tighten the clamp as much as you possibly can, and see what breaks first

greenmonster304
06-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Looks like you're in Utah? Did you compressor-winterize the system? A 1/4" drive socket is much better to tighten those crappy fittings.

I like my makita impact driver.
Posted via Mobile Device

PPD3195
06-03-2012, 09:00 PM
you should take a spare fitting and a bit of pipe and a clamp, and make a mockup of a connection - tighten the clamp as much as you possibly can, and see what breaks first

The clamp, right? I'm wishing I'd just run pvc for the main...had I known, I would have told my sales guy to skip the poly :S

Mdirrigation
06-03-2012, 09:00 PM
If its a poly main and you want to be safe , add a master valve . At least when the main blows it will shut off at the end of the cycle

PPD3195
06-04-2012, 10:57 PM
It's turning into a dam that's ready to break...I put a plug in one hole and another opens up :P

I checked the pressure on the line and it's 77psi. I know they can fluctuate so I guess it could be going higher and lower than that at any given time?

I'm leaning towards that regulator...

Wet_Boots
06-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Combine tasks, and get a master valve with a built-in regulator.

Mike Leary
06-05-2012, 12:30 PM
I'm too lazy to go back through the posts, are those PLASTIC insert fittings? :dizzy:

GreenI.A.
06-05-2012, 01:46 PM
We use stricktly poly. I never find that the screw type clamps are effective. You should have use crimp clamps such as Outiker. You need a crimper for them which is around $20, but the clamps are much cheaper than the type you are using so the price difference is a wash. Also on mains that are always under pressure we use two clamps. You just need to be sure that both clamps are around the pipe and fitting. If one clamp is two low near the end of fitting it can cause the hose to pop off. If you turn on one of the valves do the leaks stop? or do they still continue when the pressure drops?