PDA

View Full Version : rubber mulch

wkbrafford
06-03-2012, 10:10 PM
Was putting down rubber mulch for a church. They are providing everything i just have to install. 1400 sq ft at 4 inches thick. any suggestions and tips thanks

grandview (2006)
06-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Talk them out of it,it's junk for beds.

Duekster
06-03-2012, 10:18 PM
It cooks the weeds..

Think Green
06-03-2012, 11:15 PM
brafford,
If the church has no other plants or annuals,etc. in these beds, then do the job. However, if there is existing plants or annuals.......don't do it. the rubber absorbs heat and will cook the foliage and trunks of plants and trees.
I have seen established planting scared from heat caused by rubber mulches in the winter. The heat absorbed caused splitting of the trunks similar to frost cracking.
The oily residues aren't good for the plants either. I will advise this stuff being used in walkways and paths as a part of something different but in all reality........a good layer of natural cypress mulch is perfect and is consistent in quality.

DID I SAY THIS STUFF WILL FLOAT TOO? Nothing like cleaning up this stuff from the driveways or sidewalks. This stuff will be brutal on the blades of mowers and other equipment. If leaves get trapped in this stuff and you try to suck it out.....Bad idea all around.

Duekster
06-03-2012, 11:17 PM
brafford,
If the church has no other plants or annuals,etc. in these beds, then do the job. However, if there is existing plants or annuals.......don't do it. the rubber absorbs heat and will cook the foliage and trunks of plants and trees.
I have seen established planting scared from heat caused by rubber mulches in the winter. The heat absorbed caused splitting of the trunks similar to frost cracking.
The oily residues aren't good for the plants either. I will advise this stuff being used in walkways and paths as a part of something different but in all reality........a good layer of natural cypress mulch is perfect and is consistent in quality.

DID I SAY THIS STUFF WILL FLOAT TOO? Nothing like cleaning up this stuff from the driveways or sidewalks. This stuff will be brutal on the blades of mowers and other equipment. If leaves get trapped in this stuff and you try to suck it out.....Bad idea all around.

It is hot for sure but not sure it floats more than wood.

wkbrafford
06-04-2012, 12:04 AM
Haha this will change everything it is for the playground sorry I didn't say that
Posted via Mobile Device

grandview (2006)
06-04-2012, 06:08 AM
Then that's ok then.