PDA

View Full Version : Ice water all day long the easy way.

ealbertson
12-28-2002, 07:48 PM
Like they say on a hot day there is noting better than ice water, and here is an easy way to do it: Take a gallon container (old milk jug), fill it with water and throw it in the freezer as soon as you get home. By moring it is usually solid but as the day goes on it steadily melts. I have been doing this for two years now and it works great.

lawncare3
12-28-2002, 08:43 PM
How do u get the ice out of the container?

1MajorTom
12-28-2002, 08:48 PM
Yes, I understand what you are saying, but what happens when you want a nice long drink at 9:30AM? Isn't it still frozen too much to get a decent drink out of it?

We freeze a couple of 32oz gatorades the night before. By afternoon they are nice and slushy, but in the morning we have water to drink so we don't have to wait around for the gatorade to thaw. I'm assuming you do the same, by taking something else to drink while the water jug slowly melts?

FrankenScagMachines
12-28-2002, 09:08 PM
I'm not sure exactly what he meant but here is another thought that would work even if he didn't mean this:
Take a frozen gallon jug and put in your 5 gallon or so jug of water with around 4 gallons of drinking water, and that one gallon block enclosed with plastic will keep the other 4 drinkable gallons cold. Refreeze one gallon jug every nite and put in 5 gallon jug every morning with 4 fresh gallons of drinkable water. ?Comprendo?

lawncare3
12-28-2002, 09:11 PM
I know this is off topic but, how do u get the little picture beside ur name on the left right by your name?

LAWNGODFATHER
12-28-2002, 09:22 PM
edit profile

edit options

add avitar

Ice water all day just like BHB described. Saves lot's of money on ice.

We just have an ice machine, great for parties.

Wesley's Lawn
12-29-2002, 03:00 AM
Where can you get a good ice machine. Arent they $$?
:confused:

Barkleymut
12-29-2002, 03:24 AM
ealbertson, I've been doing the same thing for 5 years now. Only I have found that a SunnyD container is better. Thicker plastic plus a screw on lid that won't pop off if the jug falls over. As for the morning I usually take a couple of 20oz containers of refrigerated water. Sure beats paying $2 for a 32oz Gatorade every day. That kind of stuff really adds up. By the way does anyone pay for drinks out of the business or do you just pay personally?

Tony Harrell
12-29-2002, 07:28 AM
Buy the Gatorade mix and do it yourself. It's much cheaper. I've done the frozen milk jug thing but, I didn't fill it all the way up. I'd fill it 1/2 or 3/4 to freeze and then top the frozen part with water in the morning. I've even used a frozen solid gallon container to chill the items in my cooler. It works really fast if there's 2-4 inches of water sloshing around in there. Thanks, I haven't thought about ice cold anything for a couple of months now!

LAWNGODFATHER
12-29-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Wesley's Lawn
Where can you get a good ice machine. Arent they $$?
:confused:

Auction.

Mine was $165

lawncare3
12-29-2002, 09:18 PM
Lawngodfather,
THANK YOU so much for explaning that to me I ncouldn't find out for the longest time until u tought me!

HarryD
12-29-2002, 10:45 PM
here are some hydration systems that I think could work pretty well

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/dept_id.L2~1556/dept_name_p.Outdoor+Gear/qx/prod_list_display.htm

chariot
12-29-2002, 10:55 PM
Anybody ever used one like Harry posted? Do you use them with a Z? I have thought about them but thought it would be in the way when sitting. It seems if it were hanging on the seat that heat from the engine would get to it.

Gravely_Man
12-30-2002, 11:19 AM
I have done the frozen milk jug placed inside of 5 gallon cooler and I have done the powered drink mix. Either one works ok. I would go with the ice machine if you find one at an auction. The most important thing to remember is to drink plenty of fluids.

Gravely_Man

Rhett
12-30-2002, 11:28 AM
Uncle Sam used to issue camel packs which are hinda like the the ones harry posted. Great for when you will be away from the truck for extended periods of time. Also with the drink tube right there handy tend not to wait till you are dehydrated. Bad part is the drinks only stay cool for about 3 hours and you sweat even worse where the pack rides. If I had to buy one I think I would just run to the truck and get a drink.

bubble boy
12-30-2002, 12:07 PM
i find the ice never melts fast enough when you freeze a whole container.

i just fill two old margerine containers, put them in the freezer. next morning dump them into a large thermos and top off with water. water will be cool the whole day, unless its a heat wave.

FrankenScagMachines
12-30-2002, 01:45 PM
bubble boy, mom does that with a 2 gallon jug also. Works great!

Jimbo
12-30-2002, 04:46 PM
I got sick last year working really hard and drinking too much Ice cold water. I switched to Gatorade near the end of the season and felt way better. Since gatorade is more expensive the wife started complaining about the grocery bill. I just went to Sams with the company card and bought 3 months worth at a time.

Jim

Tvov
12-30-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Rhett
Bad part is the drinks only stay cool for about 3 hours and you sweat even worse where the pack rides.

I second that about the backpack "hydration systems" (WHY can't they just say water bottle?!? :angry: ), they can get very warm very quickly.

I have access to an ice machine, so we use a big Rubbermaid water jug, fill it with ice and water in the morning and the ice can last a couple of days, even in direct sun, we just add more water the second day.

xpnd
12-30-2002, 08:28 PM
Dont' forget about routinely bleaching your coolers. Lots of nasties will grow in them.

lawncare3
12-30-2002, 09:29 PM
Dont' forget about routinely bleaching your coolers. Lots of nasties will grow in them.
Won't you get really sick or even DIE from that?

Soupy
12-31-2002, 01:25 AM
I buy Gatorade from the fountian at my local convienent store. They sell anysize drink for $0.69, so I buy the large 64oz size and dump it into my 64oz jug when I get out to the truck. It stays cold all day. plus by buying it at the fountain you get your ice included with the price. I have found this to be much cheaper then buying bottled Gatorade.

Soupy

Tony Harrell
12-31-2002, 05:14 AM
Gatorade from the fountain, that's handy to say the least. I've never seen that around here or, I haven't been looking. I buy the powder and mix my own for about $1 a gallon or so. Every once in a while I'll run dry and have to purchase a quart from a convenience store.

lawncare3
01-01-2003, 02:57 AM
KOOLADE! it's cheap and good!

xpnd
01-01-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by lawncare3
Won't you get really sick or even DIE from that?

Duh, you don't drink the bleach water solution. Let the cooler sit overnight Saturday, dump Sunday morning, rinse, leave lid off until Monday morning.

bearhunter01
01-01-2003, 05:56 PM
Don't bother messing with the milk jug, just come on up here to michigan! We've figured out how to keep ice outside for months on end and we can even catch fish through it!:)