PDA

View Full Version : Customer Wants Grass Really Short

landscapetastic
06-04-2012, 02:14 PM
A customer of mine wants there lawn cut extremely short. They really don't have much lawn really , its mostly weeds, rock and sand , just some grass. Along with that there house is run down.The last time I cut the lawn they were not happy with it at all. Even though I thought I cut it really short.They wanted the lawn really cut short. If I was to drop my blades to the lowest settings the rocks they have on the lawn could possiably damage my machine. What do I do explain or run from this person.

macgyver_GA
06-04-2012, 02:18 PM
Tell them you refuse to mow that low, the grass is still going to need to be cut in a week or two regardless of the height you mow (That's probably why they want it low...they seem to think it will be longer before it needs to be cut again). Explain that it's healthier for the grass to be cut higher and will help reduce the weeds. That's what I do, and if they still insist, I walk away and tell them to find someone else.

Patriot Services
06-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Rundown house and weed bed. Tells me all I need to know. I'm surprised they are interested in having a lawn service. Is it really worth the damage to your equipment. At the very least your blades are hashed after cutting the rocks. then you go to the next customer and damage thier grass with hashed blades and so on.:usflag:

TNGrassCutter
06-04-2012, 05:20 PM
You do that next thing you know you'll sling a rock thru a window then they will expect you to fix that.
Posted via Mobile Device

kirk1701
06-04-2012, 05:29 PM
You do that next thing you know you'll sling a rock thru a window then they will expect you to fix that.
Posted via Mobile Device

And thats what I'd tell the customer too.

Who's going to pay for my blades being resharpened after every cut?

Guys, I'm glad I don't have to put up with the crap you all do, I'm the type that speaks thier mind and would cost me $$$$

Darryl G
06-04-2012, 05:57 PM
And I bet they wonder why they have a crappy lawn too?

The lowest I will cut is 2.5 inches. The only time I will drop down to 2 inches is if I'm doing a lawn renovation...then I want it as short as possible before aerating and/or slit seeding. Otherwise it's 2.5 inches minimum or find someone else.

secondlook101
06-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Sounds like another crazy person. If you think your gonna destroy your machine than don't do it. I had a John Deere self propel when I first started ( piece of crap) I was chopping leaves with it, and under the pile there was a rock and guess what happened? I broke the crankshaft on it. Just be careful.

There are some customers I want to run away from but if I can make some good money from them I will just think about the $$$ when there acting crazy.

jsslawncare
06-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Save yourself some trouble and walk away.

Tanum
06-05-2012, 07:12 PM
The lowest we cut is 2 cm on a fine lawn using a tees machine, on larger sites we use a Jacobsen tri-king which is set to 4cm. If they "really" want a short lawn you have to use cylinder mowers with floating heads, the maintenance is much higher and the ground has to be stone free.

Weekend cut easymoney
06-05-2012, 07:16 PM
people generally want it cut low so they don't have to mow often....
that kind of maintenace I call -'just knocking it down to keep from lookiong too bad'...not keeping it looking nice-

there are lots of people in some of our large HOAs that want to just cut it doen to the knap...grass kinda goes into shock and greys over

agent walker
06-05-2012, 08:10 PM
i won't cut below 3" usually at 3.5in. you'll just kill off the grass and have weeds. and I like to cut grass not dirt and stones and weeds

PAlawn
06-05-2012, 08:58 PM
I try to do what the customer wants but I always tell them it does not look good super short. If its rocky and they are trying to take advantage of you by mowing less I would ditch the yard.

superdog1
06-05-2012, 10:31 PM
If its rocky and they are trying to take advantage of you by mowing less I would ditch the yard.

I agree 100%. Get out of there! It is obvious that you are dealing with penny pinching morons and this is probably just the tip of the ole' iceburg. Once you give in to this request, they will come up with other ways to squeeze more $ out of you. Before you know it, you will be paying them to cut THEIR grass, Lol :hammerhead: