PDA

View Full Version : How do you negotiate for a truck?

grandview (2006)
06-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Which way do you go? Do you work on the price of the truck you want ,then bargain on the trade in price or figure out the trade in price first?

M & MD Lawn
06-04-2012, 10:09 PM
I would say get the trade in price first...and then negotiate from there. If you negotiated then got appraised, could give you lower..but of course no standup dealer would do that...right

highlander316
06-04-2012, 10:45 PM
negotiate then get trade in appraised.

cat320
06-08-2012, 05:31 PM
I would get the price of the new truck locked down because kelly blue book will tell you what your truck is worth pretty much what they will go by

Duekster
06-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Actually, I have heard that KBB has been off on used values lately according Jerry Renolds ( the car guy) talk show host. He said used values are still very high now.

Typically, I research both. Some dealers will match Car Max offers too. Better to trade around here as it saves you sales tax.

MDLawn
06-10-2012, 08:49 PM
When I got my current truck, which was a low mileage used truck, I kinda figured what I would like to spend (based on about 3 of the vehicle value sites) counting the discount on the truck, my trade in, cash down, etc.... Although when I first looked at this truck they appraised my other truck which gave me an idea of what I wanted to do. I basically said I want this truck counting my trade in for $XXXXX including the sales tax and fees. It's all one pie no matter how you slice it. They can give you a ton for trade in and sell you at MSRP or low ball trade in and sell you the new truck at a discount. I found it worked best for me when I gave them the price I "want", which wasn't unreasonable, with maybe some wiggle room built in. At first they always say no, and I shake hands and walk out. My phone rings the next day....

cat320
06-11-2012, 08:54 AM
Well it goes with out saying you will get better money for your old truck selling it outright unless you have issues with it then tradeing is the way to go. I think if you start with taking 15% off the sticker your in the ball park. because it's a give and take if you have a trade they will give you more for that but get moe for the new one one reason why i like to set the new car price fist because then they can't rais that to compensate for the trade and you know exacly what price your getting .