PDA

View Full Version : Used Trucks - Heavy Tow Past??

Gilmore.Landscaping
06-04-2012, 11:02 PM
I am looking for a used truck and at first I was sure I was going to get a chev/gmc 1500 but with all the install work I am doing I am thinking a 2500 will be of better use.

Issue:
1. Most 2500 are either work trucks that have been used to plow
2. Set up for heavy towing, 5 wheels and such.

I will never buy a used plow truck...

I am wondering if there are any issues I should look for in used trucks that have been used to tow alot? Should I expect early tranny issues? suspension issues?

ecurbthims
06-05-2012, 09:56 PM
suspension,tranny,engines ,wheel bearings ,rear ends,frames and brakes are all items to look at with a tow vehicle .It would be nice to know what loads the guy was hauling .

Gilmore.Landscaping
06-05-2012, 10:16 PM
The one I am looking at right now was hooked up to a 25 foot fifth wheel camper trailer when I saw it, he said it was used to tow horse trailers as well, so we are not talking heavy equipment or loads of stone, more of a recreational use I guess.
Posted via Mobile Device

John_DeereGreen
06-06-2012, 09:41 AM
The only thing I'd be worried about would be the transmission or clutch. If it's just hauling a 5th wheel or horse trailer, there isn't enough weight to hurt any other components.

With a good maintenance program, ie regular flush and fills, band adjustments, and a trans temp gauge, a transmission that's been in a towing application like that will last just as long from my experience. Now if it's done towing even like that and been beat on, it won't last any time at all.