PDA

View Full Version : Florida Franchise

Ric
12-28-2002, 11:59 PM
Since there have been several posts about Franchises Let me ask if any Florida LCO would be interested in a franchise that would offer both certified L & O pest control and Irrigation.

I am not quite sure how this Franchise would have to be set up. But I do know it can be done. There is a Pest Control company in my area that offers a rent a license operation. They make all the money and you only get all the work and a little money.

I have had these licenses for only 3.5 years. In that time I went from Blow and go to nothing but upscale neighborhoods. I went from traveling everywhere to traveling only 6 miles from first customer to last. I went from one truck to 5 trucks. Customers like one stop shopping.

If you are a Florida LCO and like the idea please post a reply or contact me with your location. The closer you are to me the better. This is not something I have on the front burner, only a dream. Your input will tell me if I should or shouldn’t dream on.

turfman33
12-29-2002, 10:03 AM
Not a bad Idea but it means your working for somebody else and they get the money for the work you do. Don't know if I like that idea. I would need to research it a bit more. Sound's like it's worked out for you though.

Steve

crazygator
12-29-2002, 10:51 AM
I am not certified nor licensed nor do I spray (sub it all out), but I cannot understand the Law to allow you to rent out these things. Looks like you would or could be prevented to letting others use your registered numbers.

No I haven't looked into it, so I guess I really dont know what the law will allow. I think someone would really have to search it out and make sure it was legal and all.

Don't get me wrong, if your state allows that, then fine. I am not trying to point the finger and say you are illegal or anything. Just in my opinion it kind of defeats the states purpose to have control and monitor these things.

Why bother to get certified and licensed when all you have to do is rent it? And how does renting it prove I know how to apply what and at what rate, with no damage to the environment?

ProMo
12-29-2002, 11:00 AM
im trying to find some one with a lawn lic to work under in order to get the lic i need to either work under someone elses lic for 3 yrs or go to school

Ric
12-29-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Promo Lawn Services
im trying to find some one with a lawn lic to work under in order to get the lic i need to either work under someone elses lic for 3 yrs or go to school

Promo Go back to college if you want to sit for the different tests. Last test given by the state in L & O had 121 people sit for it. (That is a very high number, normally not that many). 61 Passed. Most of these people were taking the test for the third time. Dr Jseng who writes these tests doesn’t speak or write English the best. Test question are tricky. There are 4 right answers to most of the question. But which one is the best answer. I know some very good spray tech's that have been in the business for many years and they cannot pass the test. You must unlearn or relearn things just to past the test. I got lucky and passed first time. I was lucky because they ask the right question for me. A guy I know let his cert drop and went back to retake the test. He failed twice in a row.

FYI even with a college degree you must work under someone else’s license for a year to sit for the test.

Originally posted by turfman33
Not a bad Idea but it means your working for somebody else and they get the money for the work you do. Don't know if I like that idea. I would need to research it a bit more. Sound's like it's worked out for you though.

Steve

Steve. How much money do you make off of True Green when they Spray one of your customers lawn?? How much money do you make off “Joe Blow’s Irrigation when he fixes your customers sprinklers??

The Idea is that you fix the sprinkler or we fix the sprinkler and you charge the customer. You have made a little more money than you would of. The customer is happy because he doesn’t have to deal with anyone else and is willing to pay a little more for a complete service. Yes there are many customers out there who are will to pay more for A Complete Lawn Service. You charge more money for your mowing and shrub trimming. You make % of Pest Control and Irrigation.

I have worked very hard to get these licenses. I am only dreaming of ways I can maximize them. Making a small % off other people working under these licenses is the only way to make it big. By the same token the person working under my license can make a good living.

Ric
12-29-2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by crazygator
I am not certified nor licensed nor do I spray (sub it all out), but I cannot understand the Law to allow you to rent out these things. Looks like you would or could be prevented to letting others use your registered numbers.

No I haven't looked into it, so I guess I really dont know what the law will allow. I think someone would really have to search it out and make sure it was legal and all.

Don't get me wrong, if your state allows that, then fine. I am not trying to point the finger and say you are illegal or anything. Just in my opinion it kind of defeats the states purpose to have control and monitor these things.

Why bother to get certified and licensed when all you have to do is rent it? And how does renting it prove I know how to apply what and at what rate, with no damage to the environment?

Crazygator

You are right about the state laws. However there are provisions in the law for growth. Set up the right way with the right people. With the right training it can be successful. How do I know this? Because others have done it.

This is not a rent a license it is expanding the service area of a licensed company. This is only talk right now. I more than likely will not do it. But I would like to get some feed back on the Idea. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Ric
12-29-2002, 08:49 PM
Well it looks like no one is interested in my Idea. Only 5 votes at this point and all are against it.

Maybe I didn't present it right. It is adding lawn spraying and irrigation to your Business. Very few LMO have this. I guess it is hard to sore like an eagle when you are walking with turkeys.

Toroguy
12-30-2002, 11:44 AM
Ric,

The majority here are imitators, if a poll indicates STIHL is the most common, that is what they buy- and consider to be the best.

If your poll shows a lack of interest, then you should know it is a good idea and present it locally somehow.

Ric
12-30-2002, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Toroguy
Ric,

The majority here are imitators, if a poll indicates STIHL is the most common, that is what they buy- and consider to be the best.

If your poll shows a lack of interest, then you should know it is a good idea and present it locally somehow.

Presentation was very poor. Therefore the Idea didn't fly. I should of put more thinking into it before I presented it. The truth is this could be a real nightmare for me. I could even lose my licenses trying it. A company in the next town did this with pest control (lawn spraying) locally and spend many years in court. This idea was a "get rich pipe dream" on Sunday morning. Monday morning I now know to forget it. However if I was not licensed and had this chance to add these services, I would jump on it.

Thanks to all that replied

ProMo
12-30-2002, 04:25 PM
out of curiosity how much would you want for someone to work under your license? I have the limited lic but would like to spray lawns i used to spray a few unliscensed but have halted that practice until i can do it leagally

Ric
12-30-2002, 10:49 PM
Promo Lawn Services

I have never held a card on anyone that wasn't working for me. Nor would I hold a card for some one not in my employee. I started this thread just to test the water. Therefore I can only tell you what I have heard about another pest control company that has worked with a friend of mine. Let us call my friend Colin and let us call the pest company AllSomething. these are not real names.

Colin gave Allsome $2500.00 up front. This was for " "training" ". Colin bought a 200 gal spray tank and sold it to Allsome for a dollar. Allsome gave the tank back to Colin to spray with as their employee. Colin was already in the lawn mowing business. His Truck had Colin's lawn service 555-1212 painted on the side. Colin had Allsome pest 555-1313 painted on the side of his truck also. Colin sold his customers spray services from Allsome pest. Colin went to Lesco and bought Chemicals that he paid cash for with Allsome's purchases order number. (Allsome pest checks chemical purchased against billed revue.) Collin sprayed the customer’s lawns and Allsome billed the customers. The customers paid Allsome pest. Allsome pest did the bookwork and send Colin a check minus office fees, accounting, Advertisement, and Labor burden, plus chemical cost. Colin made at least $ 9.00 for spraying each yard. But while he was spraying one yard the next-door neighbor saw the phone number on the side of Colin's truck. The neighbor called Allsome and they referred the job to Rudy another Allsome employee. ----If this is not a rent a license, then my names isn't Ric. But it is legal because Colin is a part time employee of Allsome Pest.

You can in fact get qualified to sit for the test in one year’s time in theory. Just work for a Pest control Company full time while going to college full time. If you want the real name of Allsome Pest PM send me a PM. They are in S.W. Fla.

ProMo
12-31-2002, 08:52 AM
that would be a bit steep for me at this time its not easy getting a lic for as long as ive been in the biz ill keep learning what i can and hopefully some day