PDA

View Full Version : Landscape bid question

homecutspro1
06-04-2012, 11:39 PM
I have been asked by one of my existing lawn customers to submit him an estimate on some bush trimming. However, I am wondering how to include in the estimate an articulating hedge trimmer (not only for this job but future ones as well). The cost of it is about $639 (It's the Stihl Kombi 90 power unit and the articulating hedge trimmer and the weed eater attachment (a special Stihl is running) . I mean how do I code it in an estimate-under materials? I was thinking about coding it under materials and then adding a separate labor line. suggestions appreciated.

knox gsl
06-04-2012, 11:47 PM
I don't break it down seperate but do charge more if I have to use an extended reach trimmer. Its hard to justify buying one of those trimmers but when you get one it will be faster and safer than a ladder.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pressedun
06-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Just add a rental fee? That or up your hourly rate to cover your costs as a business (so that you may buy these new tools to help save time).

PerfectEarth
06-06-2012, 10:59 PM
Is this really happening?

C Jovingo Landscaping
06-06-2012, 11:11 PM
In this situation where I want to purchase a new piece of equipement to do a job, i bid normally & basically don't make a profit due to purchase. If the profit is only 1/2 the price of purchase then it might not make me any money on second job either. If ur doing $300 trim job you can't charge client $939...to pay for new trimmer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Glenn Lawn Care
06-07-2012, 05:40 PM
You can't charge a customer for a new piece of equipment! Just rent one and charge him for renting it.
Posted via Mobile Device

JB1
06-07-2012, 05:44 PM
that is a very good question, i will ponder it and get back with you later after i finish this six pack.

C Jovingo Landscaping
06-07-2012, 08:15 PM
If i buy a new ZTR can I divide by 25 & charge my 25 clients 1/25th of purchase on their next bill? Nobody would finance a new mower if we could do this!
Posted via Mobile Device

Pressedun
06-07-2012, 09:05 PM
If i buy a new ZTR can I divide by 25 & charge my 25 clients 1/25th of purchase on their next bill? Nobody would finance a new mower if we could do this!
Posted via Mobile Device

Haha of course, gotta build the cost of things into your business. No way around it.
Posted via Mobile Device

JB1
06-07-2012, 09:20 PM
Well I have thought about it and i have added the cost of the equipment into a bid before, that we neede for that particular job.

32vld
06-07-2012, 09:25 PM
This spring I had a large hedge trimming job. I do not do much hedge trimming. My old 18" electric trimmer was not up to the job.

I bought a Sthil hs 45. 24" bar. Worked great and it enabled me to get through the job fast instead of taking forever.

The job sold for $288. The hs 45 cost $338. You could say I lost money on the job. What I did was get the job done in the time I estimated.

You could of said I lost money on the job. I say with my old trimmer I still of only would of sold the job for $288 but I would of been there double the time.

Next job I did the trimmer paid itself off and will now only make money for me.

If I would of told the customer $626, ($288+338= $626), I would of not have gotten the job.

Yes every job has to have profit built in to buy new equipment to grow and expand services offered. As pointed out you can't buy a mower for $2,500 and charge your 10 customers an extra $100 the first time to recover the cost the first day you use it.

C Jovingo Landscaping
06-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Haha of course, gotta build the cost of things into your business. No way around it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lol! That was the point of my post. We are on the same page. Sounds like the OP wants to bill the client for $639 trimmer on top of the actual bid. Example...if his estimate for triming is $300, sounds like he wants to put the $639 trimmer in the estimate too. So the $300 trim job is now $939. My last post was just saying u can't just buy new mower & divide price by # of clients & add it to their next invoice on top of their current charges. If he hasn't built the cost of new trimmer into previous trim jobs, he can't make 1 client pay for them. Only other option is to work the cost of trimmer into future trim jobs so it is paid for over multiple jobs!
Posted via Mobile Device

knox gsl
06-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Bid what the job should pay and buy the proper tools to do said job. Its that simple. If you are in this business that's a tool you should have at least one of.