PDA

View Full Version : Seriously!!! What kind of grass/weed is this?

00bolt
06-05-2012, 08:49 AM
I have been fighting this stuff for 2 years now and its starting to get out of control. I have put down EVERY single over the counter stuff available at home depot/lowes I can find. Iv used that bayer crabgrass stuff, nutsedge, scotts turf builder with weed, numerous hose sprayer stuff, concentrated stuff... im not joking, almost every single product, I have used and this stuff will NOT die!!

it almost looks like a mini st. augustine grass, but its not. it starts in little clumps and is a light lime green color... some of them even have a little purple in it is seems?

anyway, anything short of tearing entire yard up and starting fresh, how can I get rid of this? I thought of spot treating with roundup or something, but that really wouldnt work as its all over now. It seems like when i fertilize and ironite my lawn, this stuff grows in more instead of my bermuda!!

kirk1701
06-05-2012, 09:35 AM
Hard to tell with it cut short, can you post a picture with it grown a bit or even better a blade with the root attached.

I'm guessing crabgrass or foxtail but your description with a little purple in it I'm leaning more toward crabgrass.

00bolt
06-05-2012, 09:40 AM
I just cut it yesterday, so be a while before i can post it longer. But i can pull some up tonight after work and post a pic with the roots.

crazy if it is crabgrass because i have put down so much crabgrass killer its not funny...

kirk1701
06-05-2012, 09:54 AM
I just cut it yesterday, so be a while before i can post it longer. But i can pull some up tonight after work and post a pic with the roots.

crazy if it is crabgrass because i have put down so much crabgrass killer its not funny...

Yea, that will do but get the tallest one you can find and we'll go from there.

That stuff from the box stores is so watered down you can practically drink it, don't surprise me none.

00bolt
06-05-2012, 09:57 AM
so MSMA is my best bet? (if i can find some?)

kirk1701
06-05-2012, 10:09 AM
so MSMA is my best bet? (if i can find some?)

2,4-D

MSMA has been took off the market by the EPA

00bolt
06-05-2012, 10:18 AM
so would i need to spot treat or could i just spray over the bermuda and not harm it? there is an ace hardware right next to my work, i may go grab some on my lunch and put it down tonight.

00bolt
06-05-2012, 11:40 AM
i was reading online and from what i ready, that 2,4-D doesnt kill crabgrass if it is indeed crabgrass. is this true?

kirk1701
06-05-2012, 12:09 PM
i was reading online and from what i ready, that 2,4-D doesnt kill crabgrass if it is indeed crabgrass. is this true?

Just looked at the label and your right, not listed but I've used it for crabgrass and it works.

Try a tree way like speedzone or trimec but my 2,4-D has killed a many many crabgrass.

Just be careful with drift as with any herb and spray as directed or you'll kill more then you expect.

00bolt
06-05-2012, 12:24 PM
im thinking of just throwing down some st. Augustine sod and letting it take over my front yard, this stuff would be hidden.

kirk1701
06-05-2012, 12:36 PM
im thinking of just throwing down some st. Augustine sod and letting it take over my front yard, this stuff would be hidden.

If crabgrass it will find its way through

00bolt
06-05-2012, 12:48 PM
looking at all the pictures online, it really doesnt look like crabgrass. this stuff doesnt spread out like that, it stays pretty small and compact too... the blades of the stuff resemble it, but other than that im not certain its crabgrass... uggh, i wish i just had some msma lol

charmill26
06-05-2012, 02:53 PM
lawn maintenance and renovation*******

00bolt
06-06-2012, 08:34 AM
as promised, here are some better pictures. I guess after pulling them up and really looking, they are crabgrass? I guess because I keep my yard cut they never really get very big to see. From above looking down, they just look like little small patches and there really are no big runners or anything.

some of them seem to be turning a little yellow, maybe from treatment I did about 2-3 weeks ago?? But I dont think they are dying... other than MSMA, I need SOMETHING to kill this stuff!!!!!!!!

Kelly's Landscaping
06-06-2012, 09:07 AM
Acclaim kills it with out killing the lawn if the lawn doesn't matter then use round up. Acclaim mixes .75 to 1.0 ounces per gallon so it goes far but at nearly 600 dollars a gallon the stuff ant cheap.

White Gardens
06-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Check out DRIVE XLR8.

It's a carboxylic acid that is specifically designed for crab-grass but controls a long list of weedy grasses. That is probably going to be your best bet for control. I know I've gotten control on fox-tail and other weedy grasses.

The thing with DRIVE though is that you need to make sure to have the correct non-ionic surfactant to get it to work completely.

So, hopefully you are licensed and can get the stuff you need, and try to correctly identify the grass so that you are getting the specific product that will work instead of just throwing stuff at the problem and hope it works.

superiorlawnsofwestok
06-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Can't tell from the picture...are them stems flat instead of round? If so it's probably goosegrass.