PDA

View Full Version : Rainsensors

CAPT Stream Rotar
06-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Who uses what? why?
Where do you put it? why?
What do you charge?
Do you warranty your wireless R/S's, even if its a battery issue? how long?
Do you prefer to wire them in directly into the common or the R/S ports? Does this practice change if you on a PS/Relay?

Sidenote: Has anyone gotten into soil moisture sensors?

For us:

We use the irritrol wireless R/S.Cause I'm told to.
We like to hang them in an area of the yard which reflects the site conditions. Cause I'm told to and agree with the practice. What I don't agree with is I'm told to get a ladder out and put them 10 ft on a eve of a house. Why? cause my old boss put it in my head why make yourself work harder? Why make yourself have to carry a ladder? I've seen irrigation companies hang them 30 ft on a house by the chimney.

Thoughts?

We charge 125 installed tested with a 2 year guarantee. At times we have noticed batteries fail quicker than others. No idea why.

I prefer to wire them directly them into the R/S terminals if they are there. Why? Cause its what they are made for.Especially on a pump start relay. I feel safer leaving a clock with them wired in directly for the sake of the pump. I've seen pumps burn out cause companies didn't wire them properly using the common and relay. I'm sure you all have too. Sadly I'm told to wire them into the common directly. I hate putting a wire nut inside a clock.Why? Cause wire nuts in clocks have the opportunity to fall off. When pumps are at stake I feel there is no reason to mess around..

This is just us.. Wondering what you all feel on the subject.

its late, im tired, not much mind for spelling/ grammEr. :)

irritation
06-05-2012, 09:43 PM
If you ever see a rain sensor wired incorrectly with a pump, you need to correct it. Wireless is the only way to go.

Wet_Boots
06-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Pumps should have their own protections, so they don't have to care about the controllers or sensors.

$125 installed is too cheap for a wireless sensor install

CAPT Stream Rotar
06-05-2012, 09:46 PM
If you ever see a rain sensor wired incorrectly with a pump, you need to correct it. Wireless is the only way to go.

I always do/ have.. I can't walk away from a possible situation where my hands were on that clock last and a R/S destroyed a 2 HP sub pump.

Sprinkus
06-05-2012, 10:05 PM
I typically use the Irritrol wireless rain/freeze sensor these days.
I'd buy the R&D Engineering (http://www.rainsensor.com/) version if they were available here.
I put them where they will receive unobstructed rainfall.
Double cost of device plus service call is usually what we charge.
30 day warranty, unless it's part of an install, which would be a one year warranty.
Unit is wired into sensor port, if controller has one.
Like WB said, pump should have its own protection.

I'm tired too.
Got stung by a bunch of yellow jackets on my arm yesterday and am all "swollled" up. Time for Benadryl and Jagermeister. :drinkup:

Mike Leary
06-05-2012, 10:11 PM
[QUOTE=Sprinkus;4434563 Time for Benadryl and Jagermeister. :drinkup:[/QUOTE]

That could be a interesting cocktail. I'll bet you'll sleep well tonight. :sleeping:

Autoflow
06-05-2012, 10:52 PM
I use the Hunter wireless sensors and always wire them into the sensor port. I was at a service job last year where I was halfway through testing the system. A storm came through but I hung around until it passed. Problem was it shut the sensor off and was wired into the common where the cable went through the ceiling of the house two storeys up. Had to drive 40 minutes each way again the next day for 20 minutes work. Why do people wire it into the common?? :hammerhead:

irritation
06-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Why do people wire it into the common?? :hammerhead:

That's the way we've always done it.:)

CAPT Stream Rotar
06-05-2012, 11:01 PM
irritation- do you see/use a lot of well systems on a relay?

irritation
06-05-2012, 11:05 PM
irritation- do you see/use a lot of well systems on a relay?

Only on irrigation wells, I see a few with both pressure tanks and relays. You better be sure the pump is sized correctly.

CAPT Stream Rotar
06-05-2012, 11:08 PM
Only on irrigation wells, I see a few with both pressure tanks and relays. You better be sure the pump is sized correctly.

pump sized as far as?

Mike Leary
06-05-2012, 11:11 PM
You better be sure the pump is sized correctly.

All bullshit. On-demand is the only way to run a varied gpm/psi zone demand system. IMHO.

DanaMac
06-05-2012, 11:22 PM
Hunter or Irritrol sensors - it's a toss up between them. I prefer wireless. Just installed a Hunter on a commercial prop today. At most residential homes, attaching to the fascia board is typical. Where else can it really go unless you have an ugly PVC or metal pole sticking up randomly in the yard? If installed properly, and sticking out and up far enough, it is easily in open space for rain to hit it. Service wise, yes it sucks.

irritation
06-05-2012, 11:25 PM
The worse thing for a pump is cycling on-off. A pump start relay makes the pump run continually. But you don't want the pump to exceed a certain pressure.

DanaMac
06-05-2012, 11:32 PM
I also find that they are less often screwed around with when they are up high, than if down low on a fence, or short pipe, or wherever some jerks install them.

irritation
06-05-2012, 11:53 PM
Rain sensors can bring in a lot of service. I can't count the calls because of a sensor not allowing the system to come on. Either it's working or a wiring problem. The wireless are to complicated for the homeowner to comprehend.

jvanvliet
06-06-2012, 07:29 AM
We are required by statute to install rain sensors on all commercial and residential irrigation we service that doesn't have one. They are required on all new installations. Pump (including demand & hydrolic systems), municipal, makes no difference. Wired or remote depends on the system, mostly wired mini-clicks for me.

As others have said, they are always good for service calls.

Best installed directly under an overhang or at the foot of a roof valley :rolleyes:

Autoflow
06-06-2012, 08:42 PM
That's the way we've always done it.:)

Any reason why though if the controller has a sensor port? It just means you can't run the system through a cycle for testing, or bypassing during extreme weather- In Summer when it's been 100+ for a week with storms every afternoon that dump 1/2" or rain in 10 minutes that shut the sensor off but do nothing to give the plants sufficient water.