PDA

View Full Version : St. Augustine runners Rising up

ed2hess
06-05-2012, 10:03 PM
What does it mean when the new growth comes up on top of the grass? Is it a possible sign of grubs at work?

And what is with all these advertisements in the Florida section? I guess you guys use the weed cane!

Landscape Poet
06-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Not sure about grubs, but is the turf generally extra thick like a semi dwarf? I think I understand what you are talking about and my first guess is that the turf is just dense and the runner is looking to find its way through and take a wrong turn. My other thought is have you applied a heavy does of Pre-Emergent recently? If so that could make the runner not continue to tap down if the soil was hardened? Just a thought.

greendoctor
06-06-2012, 02:34 AM
I see runners on the surface here when the st augustine is being cut too short. I do not have the fancy super dwarf varieties here. It is all Floratine or Texas Common. Height of cut should not be less than 3" for those.

jvanvliet
06-06-2012, 06:41 AM
I've seen surface runners on grass that has been cut to short too, also with dull blades where the mower pulls the stolon out of the ground.

MR-G
06-06-2012, 07:47 AM
make sure your blades are centered top to bottom under deck....if they are too close to top of deck that could be causing the problem..decks leading edge can pull on the turf before the blade cuts it....also frequent short watering times can be a factor...water long but less often so water seeps below root zones.

Ric
06-06-2012, 09:09 AM

Thatch build up can cause it also. What are other factors you see??

Keith
06-06-2012, 10:20 AM
I don't think it's anything to worry about. I've been observing this happening in most years for the past 20. It usually is noticeable for about a month in late spring and to a lesser extent, for a month in late summer. It generally coincides with the time it puts out the most seed heads.

Turf Dawg
06-06-2012, 10:27 AM
It is just Stolons growing fast. Nothing to worry about. If these were left lying on bare ground they would eventialy root but on top of the grass they just get mowed and look kind of bad for a couple of weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
06-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Ed,

Not sure if this is what you are referring too as this is a severe example but this is called "looping" and is a example of what can happen when too much Pre-Emergent is used. Here is a photo from U of F showing what I consider a severe case of "looping". I remember this because I had a customer do something similar to his lawn 2 years ago when he found out about Lesco and Barricade. Good news is he had no crabgrass bad news is that it took several months for his soil not to be hard a rock and everything start to recover.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/541225_364374873612081_758870761_n.jpg

ed2hess
06-06-2012, 09:42 PM
Ed,

Not sure if this is what you are referring too as this is a severe example but this is called "looping" and is a example of what can happen when too much Pre-Emergent is used. Here is a photo from U of F showing what I consider a severe case of "looping". I remember this because I had a customer do something similar to his lawn 2 years ago when he found out about Lesco and Barricade. Good news is he had no crabgrass bad news is that it took several months for his soil not to be hard a rock and everything start to recover.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/541225_364374873612081_758870761_n.jpg
Yes this is how mine looks. I used no pre-m but am using Lesco moisture product for 6 months. Don't have any significant grubs. Watering is drip underground. Sorry I will post picture.