PDA

View Full Version : Mulch Bid Help

ORS10
06-07-2012, 02:31 AM
I need a bit of help with knowing what a fair price is for mulching. My business has done plenty of small mulching jobs, but we are now starting to get asked to do 10-12+ yard mulch jobs. We just gave two bids for $75/yd installed for cedar (mulch cost, delivery, very minimal weeding, mulch installation). One customer was fine with the price. The other said that we were so expensive that it was "not even worth negotiating".

Assuming mulch costs around $33/yd plus delivery in my area and we can move 1 yard/hr, this means we are clearing a little over $30/hr. I own the business with a partner and we are college juniors, but we've been doing lawns and landscaping for about five years now.

Are we out of our league with $75/yard installed? Thanks for the help.

easy-lift guy
06-07-2012, 06:46 AM
No your not, you know your market place and the cost for goods and services. If your still clearing a net profit after expenses your fine. Just don't get greedy, remember what happens to pigs when they get to fat!. All the best.
easy-lift guy

Get Some...
06-07-2012, 07:10 AM
I pay $57.00 w/tax for 2 yards picked up....really more like 2.5...depends who loads it.

Charge $150-$165...delivered and installed, no bed prep included.

Have done it for $125 when they are getting 30+ yards and there is alot of bed prep.

ORS10
06-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the help, guys. We're considering lowering it by $5 or so, but we really just need to figure out what the market price is in our area in Michigan. Maybe I'll call a couple other pros and get quotes- i hope that's not bad business etiquette but I don't see any other way of getting a good idea of prices.

Orrdc
06-07-2012, 10:05 PM
You are not out of line at all, I charge anywhere from 75-85 per yard for mulch depending on A. the type of mulch (I get plain brown hardwood at 20 per yard, Black died triple shred at 25) and B. how much "work" is involved. Is a simple dump or is it up a hill in between 2 bushes ect. Weeding, trimming, pre emergent is all extra

Pressedun
06-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Nope, that seems bout on par man... I get around $80-$100 per yard installed depending on prep and the size of the job.

sealcutter
06-08-2012, 10:25 PM
^^^^ Glad to hear we are close in prices. Do not lower your prices to try and land a cheap skate it is not worth it. I hope you can spread more than a yard an hour.

ORS10
06-14-2012, 02:18 AM
Thanks everyone, this is good advice and very reassuring. Upon further research, in our area the going rate seems to be between $65-80, so we're right in the ballpark. I think what we'll do like some of you guys were saying is vary the price depending on how much work is involved and the type of mulch.

Now that I've got a feel for what's reasonable, I'll be much more comfortable not catering to cheap customers.

pitrack
06-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Thanks everyone, this is good advice and very reassuring. Upon further research, in our area the going rate seems to be between $65-80, so we're right in the ballpark. I think what we'll do like some of you guys were saying is vary the price depending on how much work is involved and the type of mulch.

Now that I've got a feel for what's reasonable, I'll be much more comfortable not catering to cheap customers.

Exactly. Some people are just cheap, plain and simple. They may make you feel like you are on the high side for prices (which they shouldn't) so forget about it and move on. You can't work for free and some people think otherwise.

Your price seems fine based off the $60-$80 price you said other guys are at.

Barrett Landscaping
06-16-2012, 06:02 PM
heck, around here i get $80/yd for hardwood installed. prep work is extra. for cedar i would be around $100/yd since its so much more here. i think they are just tire kickers.

Duekster
06-16-2012, 06:40 PM
If you are a landscape company many Mulch dealers will give you a discount. To me your price is fine but your cost of mulch seems high. I would not drop my price... $30 per hour on the low side.

Pressedun
06-16-2012, 07:18 PM
Why would you pass the discount on to the consumer? They're not able to get the same discount and they don't know that you're even able to get one. Call me shady but I charge retail and most of the time a few bucks more per yard for mulch. How much time is wasted at the supply yard?

Mulch is not created equal, I use a fairly high quality dyed mulch but you can find garbage mulch out there for cheap. Not to mention prices vary from region to region.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
06-16-2012, 07:22 PM
Why would you pass the discount on to the consumer? They're not able to get the same discount and they don't know that you're even able to get one. Call me shady but I charge retail and most of the time a few bucks more per yard for mulch. How much time is wasted at the supply yard?

Mulch is not created equal, I use a fairly high quality dyed mulch but you can find garbage mulch out there for cheap. Not to mention prices vary from region to region.
Posted via Mobile Device

If you are responding to me, please re-read my post.

greenstar lawn
06-16-2012, 09:35 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Deetapp
06-17-2012, 07:53 PM
This question is very timely for me as well. We do a lot of weeding, edging and renovating beds for clients, as we mostly design and install shrubs and perennial beds. The prep work for this is often very time consuming when we are ripping out the old shrubs as well, so I charge by the hour giving them a ballpark estimate up front because we never know what is below the surface. Any thoughts on how to give a firmer quote without underbidding?

Also, we are now adding mowing to our services, so we are getting asked to just install mulch in existing beds. When cutting a natural edge, what is the typical depth? We do at least 4-5", but it takes longer and disposal is often an issue. I see replys for 60-80 bucks, and is that just spreading the mulch, or does it include weeding and cutting the edge.

Thanks - We are in northern CT.

Deetapp
06-17-2012, 07:59 PM
I pay $57.00 w/tax for 2 yards picked up....really more like 2.5...depends who loads it.

Charge $150-$165...delivered and installed, no bed prep included.

Have done it for $125 when they are getting 30+ yards and there is alot of bed prep.

do you mean 150-165 per yard?

likewise 125 per yard times 30 yards. how much of that is bed prep, and is this for an existing customer, or a new one with tons of weeds and no edging?